Menu

2 random questions

I've been reading the boards for about three weeks now, learning as much as possible about hs'ing and TWTM. I'm hoping to start posting more and interacting with everyone, but I have two random questions.

I was reading the thread where people were assuming the op was a troll...what exactly does that mean and what would be their purpose in posting a question if they didn't really want an answer?

What does pass the bean dip mean?

I feel stupid asking these questions, but curiosity has the best of me. :)

Because trolls like to cause trouble. You know them in real life too ;) They're the people that imagine slights (and then blow them out of proportion), or say things they know very well are going to make someone's hair stand on end. They like drama, they feed off of it, like drama vampires.

Pass the bean dip is a nice way of saying, "I refuse to discuss this with you."

I've been reading the boards for about three weeks now, learning as much as possible about hs'ing and TWTM. I'm hoping to start posting more and interacting with everyone, but I have two random questions.

I was reading the thread where people were assuming the op was a troll...what exactly does that mean and what would be their purpose in posting a question if they didn't really want an answer?

What does pass the bean dip mean?

I feel stupid asking these questions, but curiosity has the best of me. :)

You've already gotten answers to your questions, but since I think I know which "troll" thread you're thinking of, and because if I'm right, I was one of the people who called the poster out as a troll, I thought I'd be sure to let you know that I definitely don't view you as a troll at all. Actually, you seem very nice, and I hope to get to know you better as you start posting to more threads. :001_smile:

The reason I didn't suspect you of being a troll is mainly because you're participating in threads without looking for a battle, you're posting "normal" newbie questions and comments (like the ones in this thread,) and mainly because your very first post to the forum wasn't some sort of "I thought this would make an excellent discussion topic" kind of thing, where you told a story that sounded fake (and potentially debate-worthy) about your too-perfect-to-be-real child, and never once mentioned anything about homeschooling.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!!!

You've already gotten answers to your questions, but since I think I know which "troll" thread you're thinking of, and because if I'm right, I was one of the people who called the poster out as a troll, I thought I'd be sure to let you know that I definitely don't view you as a troll at all. Actually, you seem very nice, and I hope to get to know you better as you start posting to more threads. :001_smile:

The reason I didn't suspect you of being a troll is mainly because you're participating in threads without looking for a battle, you're posting "normal" newbie questions and comments (like the ones in this thread,) and mainly because your very first post to the forum wasn't some sort of "I thought this would make an excellent discussion topic" kind of thing, where you told a story that sounded fake (and potentially debate-worthy) about your too-perfect-to-be-real child, and never once mentioned anything about homeschooling.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for clarifying! That was the thread I was referring to. :001_smile: I was just thrown off guard and worried about future posts I might make. I assure you I'm normal, don't like controversy, and have no idea what I'm doing with this homeschooling thing!

Thanks for the welcomes (I'm sure that's not a word)!

Thanks for clarifying! That was the thread I was referring to. :001_smile: I was just thrown off guard and worried about future posts I might make. I assure you I'm normal, don't like controversy, and have no idea what I'm doing with this homeschooling thing!

On almost every group, IMO, the trolls hit the social wing. I've not seen a troll on the K8 board, a great place for you to get to know us, homeschooling, and TWTM.

Stroll on over and ask some questions. K8 is packed with people just DYING to tell you what they have spent hours, days, weeks, and years learning about!