Menu

Ugh, mold

Our bedroom is small and we have a king sized bed that really doesn't fit. So to give us slightly more floor space, allowing access to the closet, I had our bed tucked into the corner, up against the wall. Apparently we've beeeen getting moisture on that wall. I just pulled the bed apart to vaccuume under it and their is mildew/mold on the side of the mattress. :ack2: I soaked it in a bleach/water mixture, but it's not lightening. Shouldn't it lighten? Is there anything else I should do? No wonde my allergies have been bothering me!

Our bedroom is small and we have a king sized bed that really doesn't fit. So to give us slightly more floor space, allowing access to the closet, I had our bed tucked into the corner, up against the wall. Apparently we've beeeen getting moisture on that wall. I just pulled the bed apart to vaccuume under it and their is mildew/mold on the side of the mattress. :ack2: I soaked it in a bleach/water mixture, but it's not lightening. Shouldn't it lighten? Is there anything else I should do? No wonde my allergies have been bothering me!

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You don't mention what concentration or type of bleach you used, but one part standard 5.25% chlorine laundry bleach diluted with four parts water will kill the mold pretty quickly. It won't necessarily turn the mold colorless, but it will be dead. What bleach won't kill is mold spores. Those will remain dormant until conditions are suitable for them to germinate (they like moisture and darkness). So, the first thing to do is get the mattress somewhere that you can work on it without worrying about bleach spills. Soak the affected area and immediately surrounding area in the 1:4 bleach solution for half an hour or so, keeping the area damp the whole time. Then flood it with tap water and blot up as much moisture as you can with old towels or whatever. I hope you can make other sleeping arrangements, because you really should let the mattress dry completely, which may take several days. Then, vacuum the affected area of the mattress thoroughly. You'll also need to use bleach on any affected wall or floor areas in the bedroom. And, of course, you need to get the water problem fixed or none of this will do any good.

• 5 months later...