Menu

How to explain concept of estimating quotients?

Our 10 year old is currently in 4th and doing division. He's having a little difficulty with estimating quotients. I tried to explain it to him, it does make sense -- but I find I'm not always getting the "right" answer either.

I think I am just so used to just doing the long division.

Can anyone point me to a place to provide some advice on estimating quotients, walk us through the process, etc.?

Thanks

Amy

Can anyone point me to a place to provide some advice on estimating quotients, walk us through the process, etc.?

Thanks

Amy

I know that Singapore Math (here I am thinking particularly in terms of Math in Focus, originally My Pals are Here) teaches it beginning in third or fourth grade by telling students to look for the closest friendly number. For example, 352/8 could be thought of as either 320/8 or 400/8. We choose these two numbers because 32 and 40 are both multiples of 8. 350 is closer to 320 than 400, so the estimated answer would be around 40.

We know the real answer is a bit more because 352 is greater than 320. Once we subtract out the 320, we see another friendly number left (32), so the actual answer is 44, and we know our estimate of 40 was reasonable.

Hope that helps a little!

Susan