Menu

Speech experts - DD talks like she has a cold

She's 5.5 and talks like she has a stuffed nose all the time. Her language sounds are otherwise generally ok (except "r" and "th" but those are improving I think) and her vocabulary is great. She had many many colds as toddler and preschooler, so maybe she just got used to speaking that way, and I was under the impression she'd grow out of it. Her pediatrician has never mentioned it, but her last appointment was 6 months ago and in the last week two adults each mentioned to me that sometimes they have trouble understanding her. DH thinks she has a tendency to baby talk, and maybe that's so, but when you ask her to speak clearly it's better but the stuffed-up-ness is still there.

DH thinks I should quit worrying and just ask her doctor again whenever her next appointment comes up, no need to make a special appointment. I think maybe he's right but you know how we moms worry. What say the hive?

Edited by jar7709

Her pediatrician has never mentioned it, ?

don't *ever* count on any doctor to "mention" something if it's not glaringly obvious. You're the mom - YOU mention it and demand he pay attention.

does she have allergies? she may be "stuffed up" from those.

do mention to your doctor your concerns and be very specific and insistent they get attention. If this is a consistent and ongoing problem, I'd bring her in and not wait six months - that is six more months for her to get these speech patterns ingrained.

don't *ever* count on any doctor to "mention" something if it's not glaringly obvious.

This is a good point, thank you. It just didn't seem like a problem before, so I never brought it up. Even though she has talked like this a long time I guess now it finally appears different enough from her peers to be more noticeable. I'll make the appointment.