Menu

Duke TIP Indep Learning?

Has anyone done this? DD is 8 and technically in 2nd grade based on birthdate. I am really looking for something 'more' to challenge her. I looked at CTY and EPGY, but the cost is incredible. She tested for a local program and I think she'd qualify for these programs, but she doesn't have any official test scores at the moment, so I am trying to figure out the options. (I don't see a point in spending money on testing if there's nothing it can be used for on the other end.) The TIP independent learning at least looks like it might be affordable.

Any suggestions???

We just recently joined DUKE TIP after taking the SCAT through JH CTY. My son is currently working through one of the "free" courses that are accessible upon membership. It is an Introduction to Cryptology course. So far, he likes it. It is mostly independent but challenges him enough that I need to stick close. It is interesting to him and I expect I will purchase their more in-depth course when he is done with this (the intro. lessons are very short and won't take him longer than a week or two, working on it for recreation.)

I think their prices are low enough for me to give them a try. They are certainly more affordable that CTY or EPGY.

Thanks for the reply. That helps a lot! We were looking at the possibility of having her take the SCAT through JH CTY, but when I looked at the cost for courses I had sticker shock. :001_huh:

Out of curiosity, how old is your son? It looks like my daughter would be on the very young end right now to get any potential benefit beyond some of these classes. I am going to look at the cryptology course...that sounds like something right up her alley!

Thanks again!

My son is 9, technically in 4th grade. I didn't know about the free courses until we signed up so I'm not sure you can find the class I'm referring to. They do have a next-level cryptology class listed, and I expect they would be similar.

The class is basically just a website that he reads and it has some interaction - he takes little quizzes, there are links for him to explore, etc. But it isn't personalized in any way.

We just recently joined DUKE TIP after taking the SCAT through JH CTY. My son is currently working through one of the "free" courses that are accessible upon membership. It is an Introduction to Cryptology course. So far, he likes it. It is mostly independent but challenges him enough that I need to stick close. It is interesting to him and I expect I will purchase their more in-depth course when he is done with this (the intro. lessons are very short and won't take him longer than a week or two, working on it for recreation.)

I think their prices are low enough for me to give them a try. They are certainly more affordable that CTY or EPGY.

Was your son able to transfer his SCAT scores from CTY to Duke? I couldn't figure out if that was possible.

No, they didn't ask me for the score report. I was surprised about that. A few days after he took the SCAT test, we logged into CTY and checked our account. His scores were posted with his percentile ranking. And then, about a week after that, we received a hard-copy of the scores in the mail with an explanation of the scoring and a nifty certificate.

• 1 month later...