Menu

An owl in my coop this morning,

and completely my fault. I forgot to shut the small door and apparently he walked right in and made himself at home. I almost wet myself this morning when I walked up there to feed. Amazingly there is only one pullet missing, and since I found no feathers, no blood, no mayhem, no nothing I'm hoping she ran out when he came in and I'll find her today. Everyone else in the coop is fine, and I had thirteen young birds in there. One of the broodies who was in a cage in there with her eggs has abandoned them, but that's about it.

IMG_8928.jpg

WOW! That's something you dont' see every day! Wonder what ran through those little chicken pea-brains when Mr. Owl strode in and hopped up on the perch? "Hello ladies....can I buy you a drink?" "Hey babe, what's your sign?" LOL!

Very cool picture, too!

astrid

Impressive photo! Is the owl still in there?

NO NO NO! Gone.

My chicken coops are in the back of a big building that houses my tack and driving cart and wagon. There are little chicken doors in the side that go out and that's how he got in. I opened the people door to the coop, walked to the front of the building and opened the big carriage door and he was gone before I could turn around.

My first thought was "look for owl pellets!" Yep, I'd be dissecting the crazy things to see what it has eaten since it will regurgitate the skeletal structure plus feathers, fur, etc. You'd be able to tell if it ate your pullet.

Ds dissected one last week and the thing had eaten a mole and a smaller bird.

:D Sorry, the science geek in me just can't pass up such an opportunity!

Faith

I've found possums, snakes, skunks and now this owl in there, but never a bobcat. We have them though, and coons all over the yard.

I'd freakout if I found an opossum, skunk, or coon! What did they do?

My SIL shot the bobcat.

I've seen big King snakes and a few rattlers but I figured they were eating mice. Although, last spring my DD14 had 3 of her Banti chicks go missing. They were so small they would run through the yard gate to eat grass. They may have gotten lost.

WOW! That's something you dont' see every day! Wonder what ran through those little chicken pea-brains when Mr. Owl strode in and hopped up on the perch? "Hello ladies....can I buy you a drink?" "Hey babe, what's your sign?" LOL!

Very cool picture, too!

astrid

:lol::lol::lol: I love this! He does look like he has a swagger to him!

Glad he has removed himself!

I hope you find your hen! Wow, finding that owl in the coop would have made me jump!

we got into the bad habit of not closing our coop door at night, it was nice the hens could let themselves out in the morning and we hadn't spotted a racoon in a few years...anyways one night around 3 a.m. I wake up to chicken screams and go running out to save my babies...and found all 3 out and crowded around our back door and a big racoon up a tree. I don't know why it didn't eat any of them, but I was so glad they were ok.

months later, they still won't go into the coop to roost at night, they roost by our door and we have to carry them into the coop. It took a few days for them to even let us put them in the coop. It must have been scary to wake up and have a big racoon trying to eat you!

So far I haven't found the missing pullet. She's young and has never been outside. Salmon Favorelle. I drove about three hours one way to get her. 8(

Oh, I am sorry. :sad: i do hope you find her eventually. I would be surprised if that owl ate her and left no feathers anywhere.

VERY cool pic of the owl!

I don't think there's any pellets in there. I wonder if he had just walked in that morning looking for a daytime hiding spot? I'm still amazed there aren't dead chickens everywhere.

Instead of looking for pellets one of the kids wanted to know if it had brought a message. Cracked me up. "You have been accepted into Hogwart's School of Witches and Wizardry!!"

Edited by Remudamom

greathornedowl.jpg

I didn't think it was a Great Horned, are you sure? If so we've got much bigger scarier ones around. The ear tufts look different.

They can raise and lower their ear tufts. Google lots of images and you will see them with different appearances.

I worked with great horned owls in vet school, and it sure looks like one to me. But, I could be wrong. If you find a closer match, I'd love to know about it!

Here's one with ear tufts more like your photo....http://www.hawkquest.org/mews/GreatHornedOwl2.shtml

P.S. I'm glad you got your pullet back : )

They can raise and lower their ear tufts. Google lots of images and you will see them with different appearances.

I worked with great horned owls in vet school, and it sure looks like one to me. But, I could be wrong. If you find a closer match, I'd love to know about it!

Here's one with ear tufts more like your photo....http://www.hawkquest.org/mews/GreatHornedOwl2.shtml

P.S. I'm glad you got your pullet back : )

Wow!! You're right, I had no idea they could do that. Makes me feel better about having the hoo-haw scared out of me. Somehow Great Horned Owl seems scarier than Little Barn Owl! I swear that bird was saying "You take one more step and I am going to put. you. down."

Oh, yeah, they mean business! Their beak is powerful, of course, but their talons are very strong as well. They have a kind of grip that makes it very hard to pry off them off of their prey. Even with gloves on we gave them a lot of respect :001_smile:

Edited by Kebo

Wow!! You're right, I had no idea they could do that. Makes me feel better about having the hoo-haw scared out of me. Somehow Great Horned Owl seems scarier than Little Barn Owl! I swear that bird was saying "You take one more step and I am going to put. you. down."

Great photo! He looks incredibly put out by your presence.