Menu

S/O bullying-the effects of TV and video games

I can't help but strongly feel that much of this stems from television and video gaming. We noticed a marked change in older DS's attitude when he was in the throws of Modern Warfare. He was tense and argumentative. What about TV shows that depict strong, pushy characters?

Oddly I find the opposite to be true as well. When I watch episodes of the Duggars I feel calmer and more patient. Michelle Duggar actually has that effect on me!

I don't really limit screen time that much because my kids really don't watch all that much TV. While I hate it, I have to say that Disney Channel may be a safer bet in this day and age!

I think what we watch has an effect on us. We don't allow warfare video games because we feel that repeated virtual killing desensitizes the brain and one's empathy. No, I have no research to back that up. :D It's just a family consensus.

When The Kid started wanted to do those things we got him involved in using force in a more positive way - woodworking, science, camping, archery...things that were just as satisfying if not more at the end of the day.

While I do agree that what we watch affects us, I think behavior has a lot more to do with personality than with what we watch. My 15yo isn't interested in video games at all, but he is far crankier and more easily aggravated than my 14yo who does play video games. The 14yo doesn't have MW, but he does have others that are not as violent. He's a very laid back kid and doesn't really act out at all. Whereas my 15yo is causing us a lot of problems and concern, and not just as a result of his age. He's been difficult for years. I've tried to limit my kids' exposure to strong characters, etc on tv shows and movies for years, but it really hasn't helped with ds. He's just wired differently. He gravitates to friends that are not, imo, a great influence on him, regardless of what we let him watch or anything. So, while I agree that what we watch has an effect on us, I think there's a lot more to it than that.

While I do agree that what we watch affects us, I think behavior has a lot more to do with personality than with what we watch.

:iagree: My ds does not have screen limits (for the most part). He rarely watches TV, but plays video games, including warfare games. He is the most laid back, compassionate kid.

Some kids are affected by games, no doubt, but not all.

Bullying has been around longer than TV or video games. I was bullied in elementary school, back in the days of Pong. Bullying is about power.

Just my opinion--I agree that video games can be desensitizing. I agree that bullying is about power. I've noticed that some kids (some people, really, not just kids) who feel powerless over one area of their lives tend to try to feel more powerful in other areas. I wonder if some bullies feel powerless or not in control or just yucky about something, and turn to bullying to help them feel better. Weird, huh?

Mine has a problem with electronics in general. He is best behaved after a week of no TV or video games. The show or game doesn't matter; he becomes more aggressive after watching Dora, Signing Time, and Suite Life on Deck, just like if he watched Dawn of the Dead, Chucky, or Freddy.

I'm getting rid of netflix in 5 days. Then I'm setting up parental controls on the computer (to make it look like all of his favorite sites are down), then everything else goes.

I think video games can have some outcomes but on a norm, most of the kids I know who plays video games are the ones who are bullied. Even when my oldest son was small he said he liked video games because he could win there. He was bullied and picked on alot in school when he went. I have also noticed the majority of teen players are boys.

I agree with it is about power just like a child molester. I have no idea how this will ever change especially when you see some of the parents and realize why their kid acts that way. People will always have an exuse for the bully too. I think it is all a big shame how alot of kids act.

I don't wanna say that video games or a movie caused a bully to bully though because at the end of the day the choice is yours and kids know what is right and what is wrong.