Menu

Taking dd to the college fair worked

I asked every single rep there "Do you require something extra from homeschoolers in the application process?" Two want course descriptions - 1 or 2 sentences. )One said to wait until they ask for course descriptions.) One wants the transcript notarized. I do not understand that one. But every single one of them said no extra tests of anything. So UNC-W is back on the list.

But now so are ECU (East Carolina)and UNC-C. I thought UNC-CH sounded really good but she has heard from multiple sources that the campus is hostile to Christians and doesn't want to go.

Before today, there were 2 schools on her list. Now there are 5.

I don't want to burst your balloon, but please don't take the word of the college rep at the college fair as I found some misinformation concerning home schooling requirements from them. I would contact the college personally as well as ask again at the interview and check their websites, too.

Just a thought,

Myra

I don't want to burst your balloon, but please don't take the word of the college rep at the college fair as I found some misinformation concerning home schooling requirements from them. I would contact the college personally as well as ask again at the interview and check their websites, too.

Just a thought,

Myra

Even if that is true, it only effects one of the schools. The other 2 don't have extra things on the website.

Your daughter shouldn't go to Chapel Hill if it feels wrong to her--but I will say that an atheist friend who recently graduated from Chapel Hill felt she had to hide her lack of religion because she felt a campus assumption that all students were Christian. YMMV, of course...

Now that *is* interesting! I will have to share that with her.

The leader of our co-op, her daughter goes to Chapel Hill and I haven't heard of any issues. But we're not close friends either. Close enough I could ask though.

She may end up at Chapel Hill in the end though. She wants to be a librarian. They are one of the only ones in the state "accredited" by the American Library Association. But it is a master's level degree.

This might be of interest to your daughter. http://uncstudentorgs.collegiatelink.net/organizations?SearchValue=Religious&SearchType=Category&CurrentPage=1&SelectedCategoryId=164

There are 48 religious organizations on the Chapel Hill campus and the majority are Christian. Oddly they list The vegetarian group as a religion... hmm, maybe there are fewer than 48! At any rate, if she decides to consider the school she may want to make contact with a couple of the bigger groups and ask for their impressions of life on campus.

At any rate, if she decides to consider the school she may want to make contact with a couple of the bigger groups and ask for their impressions of life on campus.

I was thinking the same thing - we know adults involved in both Campus Crusade and Intervarsity on the regional level. I figure once she gets accepted to schools, we'll ask them their impressions of those. One of them was in oldest's Y princess tribe so it would be an easy "would you let your daughter go there?" And I would trust his answer.