Menu

What should I do...science???

Just Kate

My ds (just turned 8) loves animals. I mean he LOVES animals!!! He has been obsessed with all things animals since birth and I think he actually knows way more than I do about them (thank you very much, Netflix)!

On to my question...this year, he is doing Apologia Zoology I (Flying Creatures) for science. He actually does this at a friend's house (my friend kept him while I worked), so I haven't done any of the book with him. Next year, I will be doing science with him, so I was looking around at my options. Instead of moving forward with Apologia II (Swimming Creatures), I thought that it might be nice to try a completely different program (NOEO? Something else?) and focus on a different area of science, like chemistry. When I mentioned this to ds today (big mistake!), he freaked out. He really, really wants to continue with Apologia and he HAS to move on to Swimming Creatures.

My question is...how much will this affect him? Is it better for him to spend time learning about things that he is passionate about or at this age, should he be exposed to many different areas of science? I can actually see the benefits to both. If you were me, what would you do next year?

I would definitely continue with his passion, especially at this age.

:iagree:100%

You can actually work in some chemistry and physics doing biology. I know in Zoology 1 (we are using it as well this year), there was basically an enitre mini lesson in flight/aerodynamics/lift/drag, etc. that we used as a jumping off point to explore a bit of physics.

The sciences are all very inter-related, IMO.

My ds (just turned 8) loves animals. I mean he LOVES animals!!! He has been obsessed with all things animals since birth and I think he actually knows way more than I do about them (thank you very much, Netflix)!

On to my question...this year, he is doing Apologia Zoology I (Flying Creatures) for science. He actually does this at a friend's house (my friend kept him while I worked), so I haven't done any of the book with him. Next year, I will be doing science with him, so I was looking around at my options. Instead of moving forward with Apologia II (Swimming Creatures), I thought that it might be nice to try a completely different program (NOEO? Something else?) and focus on a different area of science, like chemistry. When I mentioned this to ds today (big mistake!), he freaked out. He really, really wants to continue with Apologia and he HAS to move on to Swimming Creatures.

My question is...how much will this affect him? Is it better for him to spend time learning about things that he is passionate about or at this age, should he be exposed to many different areas of science? I can actually see the benefits to both. If you were me, what would you do next year?

Go on. Absolutely, positively, go on. I wouldn't think twice about it.

He sounds just like my 10 yr old dd, but it not just animals with her (she is currently doing Botany), it's the Apologia curriculum in general. I'll admit I don't love it and will be using Noeo with my younger boys, but she is an Apologia fanatic.;) She does it by herself, not just during school time, and tells everyone what she has learned with such passion. She was not impressed when I suggested trying something else so I just give her the book and supplies and off she goes. Science is her thing, it seems, and what she loves about Apologia is that it's not dumbed down. She wants to do Beautiful Feet history of science next year, as well as continuing Apologia, so I'm hoping that will at least introduce her to the science topics not covered by Apologia elementary.