Menu

Help me talk DH into beast academy

Well, sort of, but I'm looking at it from a slightly different perspective than you. When she finishes BA, then what? Where will she place her child and in what program? Maybe that isn't a concern for her, but that would be a concern for me. I hate having to find a new program if I've been with it for awhile (unless it isn't working).

Although I admit you are making it sound pretty good. :D

I was off on the number of Practice pages per year. It is more like 400 pages of problems and 100 pages of solutions per year. Still a good amount.

There are plenty of challenging supplements out there if one needs more. But, with BA in hand I'm seeing how they are definitely going to inspire mathematical thinking. I think this is priceless!

In some ways this will be a slight back-track for us, but in other ways we will be covering things we never would have seen otherwise. I'm very intrigued with what I'm seeing.

I guess one needs to ask themselves what their goals are?

Bill

I know. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm homeschooling because I want something different. It's hard to take the path less traveled. Sometimes I go for what feels less risky. I realize that's dumb, but I still have those feelings.

So I need to snap out of it. :D

OP, buy the BA book and have fun! It doesn't sound like you will be taking a step backwards.

Totally. You have taken the somewhat radical step of taking your children's educations into your own hands. So why try to replicate the boring approach they would get at school when there is a positively inspiring alternative?

My son goes to school—one that is about the best public elementary in our huge Los Angeles school district—I know the difference between using mediocre materials and the best of what the home education market has to offer.

Snap out of it! :D

Bill

Totally. You have taken the somewhat radical step of taking your children's educations into your own hands. So why try to replicate the boring approach they would get at school when there is a positively inspiring alternative?

My son goes to school—one that is about the best public elementary in our huge Los Angeles school district—I know the difference between using mediocre materials and the best of what the home education market has to offer.

Snap out of it! :D

Bill

I'm trying! I'm truly trying! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, just buy the book and if you don't like it, offer it to some poor New Zealander, crippled by international postage, at a small discount.

;):tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I would pity you more if you didn't live in New Zealand. I'm sorry to say that my jealousy over your landscapes renders me unable to feel terribly sad for you. ;)

I would pity you more if you didn't live in New Zealand. I'm sorry to say that my jealousy over your landscapes renders me unable to feel terribly sad for you. ;)

I don't live in New Zealand! I live on the multiple weather syndromed landmass next door. The one with the nice, big rock in the middle.

But obviously you've never dealt with postage from one hemisphere to the other. Nice lumps of rock don't make up for that...

:P

Rosie

What if you like the math in BA, but hate the beasts? :confused: I hate the beasts. :001_huh:

I agree......love the math, hate the beasts!

Add me to those who don't want the comic beasts.

Agreed. Love the looks of the samples and everyone's initial impressions sure is tempting... if only there wasn't beasts. :glare:

Agreed. Love the looks of the samples and everyone's initial impressions sure is tempting... if only there wasn't beasts. :glare:

So when you say you like the looks of the samples, you mean the kinds of problems rather than the physical appearance? Or you like the cartoons and layout but wish it were people?

My mom hates the fake animals in the weighing section.

Aw, I love those animals! I want a pandakeet.

Our copy is out for delivery!!:auto:

So when you say you like the looks of the samples, you mean the kinds of problems rather than the physical appearance? Or you like the cartoons and layout but wish it were people?

I wish it was about kids or cute little cartoon bears. My 7 year old and I would like Bear Academy. We wouldn't like Beast Academy. Our favorite comic books are old Donald Duck comics. (I am not cool enough to call them graphic novels.)

I am psychic! I predict that people will rave about BA at first, but then they will start complaining. Many will say, "It isn't right for our family." and stop using it. I have made similiar predictions about all the latest homeschooling products and I have always been right. I want credit for my amazing psychic powers this time! Caribbean Queen told you first!

My dd1 is 7. She's getting ready to start Saxon 5/4. I really think she'd love Beast Academy, but my DH has some reservations.

1. First, he's worried it will be a step back and we honestly don't have time for two math programs. There's no accelerating because of the release schedule.

2. He's also worried because he's never heard of AOPS and doesn't want some unknown, unproven company. He wants solid math.

3. He is worried that the cartooniness will be a distraction and a dissuading factor if we need to switch into something less fun.

4. Speaking of switching, he's worried that we will become massive curricula hoppers. We started with Miquon and Singapore and then moved to Saxon about a year ago. I am kinda guilty as charged here. :tongue_smilie:

Any help? :bigear:

points i numbered 1,3,4 above all seem valid. If you have a curriculum that is working for your child stick with it. Had we had something not working well, or been about to start out and had Beast available at right level, might have tried it. If MUS stops being a good fit and there is Beast available at the right level at that time, we might maybe try it. But I do not believe in leaving a curriculum that is working reasonably well.

If Saxon is not working well, that is another matter.

The thing that most confused me in your post was why did you leave SM? It sounded like that was working well and is supposed to be a "better" (more "mathy") program than Saxon. Just because she was going quickly? To my mind, I'd say, "great, this is really working for my child, she is going through it and getting it quickly!" That , leaving SM, is the part I don't get.

The one addition I'd make (and I've not read all posts) is that if your daughter loves loves loves math (and a child going into Saxon 5/4 at age 7 might well be in that category), then I'd consider a second curriculum as a "for fun" thing. Just as for a child who loves, loves, loves, science, one might get extra science. Or for one who loves, loves, loves, literature, one might get more books. But that would be as driven by the child's desires. And that it might be at a lower level than she is now, would still be against it.

Edited by Pen

points i numbered 1,3,4 above all seem valid. If you have a curriculum that is working for your child stick with it. Had we had something not working well, or been about to start out and had Beast available at right level, might have tried it. If MUS stops being a good fit and there is Beast available at the right level at that time, we might maybe try it. But I do not believe in leaving a curriculum that is working reasonably well.

If Saxon is not working well, that is another matter.

The thing that most confused me in your post was why did you leave SM? It sounded like that was working well and is supposed to be a "better" (more "mathy") program than Saxon. Just because she was going quickly? To my mind, I'd say, "great, this is really working for my child, she is going through it and getting it quickly!" That , leaving SM, is the part I don't get.

The one addition I'd make (and I've not read all posts) is that if your daughter loves loves loves math (and a child going into Saxon 5/4 at age 7 might well be in that category), then I'd consider a second curriculum as a "for fun" thing. Just as for a child who loves, loves, loves, science, one might get extra science. Or for one who loves, loves, loves, literature, one might get more books. But that would be as driven by the child's desires. And that it might be at a lower level than she is now, would still be against it.

We left sm because she didn't like it. She hated the presentation and all the books. She has particular interests in time, money, and calendars and sm was pretty weak in those areas.

We are doing sm's cwp books and LOF as supplements.

She likes math but prefers la pretty strongly at this time.

Thanks!

To the Op, I haven't read all the responses so if you mentioned this already, sorry....but why exactly do you want to switch? Is the curriculum not working? Personally I would not switch to a curriculum that doesn't have at least a few years published ahead of the level you are at. Who knows what the future holds, If they did not get the next level out when you need it then you will be in a pickle. As for this particular curriculum, it looks more like it should be used as a supplement to your base math curriculum. I'm not a fan of the comic book style and can see this getting old real fast.

Aw, I love those animals! I want a pandakeet.

Our copy is out for delivery!!:auto:

I like the kinds of problems and the presentation of material. It is different and certainly caught my DDs eye. She immediately wanted to start solving some of the problems. However, she didn't like the monsters/beasts. As I mentioned in the thread in the General Forum, I think it is that they are cartoony monsters. She has no problems with monsters like those in Chronicles of Narnia. My sensitive DS took one look and said "I don't like those things!" :rolleyes:

OP, if it was me with a child who would be interested in this sort of thing I would say to get 3A and try it as a supplement. Perhaps work problems orally or separately from the book. Then if it is not a hit or is too easy, you could easily resell the books and not be out any money except perhaps shipping. If it works, then you can go on and buy the rest that is out. :001_smile:

Haven't read all the responses, but I wonder if money is not an issue, it can't hurt to get as a supplement (says the crazy lady with too many math books :tongue_smilie: )

OK I have a genuine question for those who don't like the beasts: what's wrong with beasts? Am I missing something? I haven't ordered it and don't plan to yet (kids are still young) but if it was good I don't think I would care if it were beasts or gummy bears, whatever... am I just clueless? :001_huh:

I think best not to switch.

And I'm saying this from the position of switching! I have used Saxon and we did switch to MM and SM (glad that we did- Saxon was too much repetition for my kids- they don't need that). BUT now that BA has come out and looks shiny and new . . . I am tempted to switch again!

I have decided not to do it . . . not because I don't want to . . . but because I am convinced that if something is not broke then I don't need to fix it!

I have been afterschooling my children for two years and feel that temptation . . . I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm in charge of all their learning! There are so many wonderful things available! How do you all keep from having rooms full of books??!!?? :tongue_smilie:

We left sm because she didn't like it. She hated the presentation and all the books. She has particular interests in time, money, and calendars and sm was pretty weak in those areas.

Thanks!

Have you looked at MM or other supplements to fill that interest? There are lots of books out there that focus just on time, money, or calendar info. Although now that she is a little older she might not need it . . .

Thanks!

I don't know a lot about Beast b/c it came at the wrong time for where we are in math. If it is not terribly expensive, I'm now wondering if it might make sense to get it as a "supplement" and see if that would actually change her to more loving math. If not to just stick with what you are doing, esp. since there do remain issues like whether next levels of Beast would even be available on time for you and so on.

In some ideal world I suppose every subject would be loved. But in reality, I think some subjects just need to be learned, with a solid enough curriculum that works for the child to do that, and then put the focus where the love is--which it now appears for your daughter is actually LA.

Edited by Pen