Menu

Is CLE Reading 1 worth it?

jer2911mom

We are currently doing CLE LA 1 and CLE Math 1. They take up a good chunk of our day. We are at the point in CLE LA 1 where we should be starting CLE Reading 1 (we are not doing LTR since we already did OPGTR). I have pretty much concluded we will skip CLE Reading 1, but I want to make sure we are not missing something awesome. Is it hard to start the reading program later on? I was thinking maybe 4th grade would be a good place to start. I just don't know that we want to add more workbook pages from CLE to our day right now. What are the benefits of using CLE Reading 1?

Thanks,

Kathy

We are currently doing CLE LA 1 and CLE Math 1. They take up a good chunk of our day. We are at the point in CLE LA 1 where we should be starting CLE Reading 1 (we are not doing LTR since we already did OPGTR). I have pretty much concluded we will skip CLE Reading 1, but I want to make sure we are not missing something awesome. Is it hard to start the reading program later on? I was thinking maybe 4th grade would be a good place to start. I just don't know that we want to add more workbook pages from CLE to our day right now. What are the benefits of using CLE Reading 1?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy,

I REALLY like CLE Reading :001_smile: but I did NOT like Level One. We loved the reader so get that. But, the Light Unit was yucky. LOTS of those dictionary markings..... You aren't missing anything awesome by skipping the Light Units. Enjoy the readers! My oldest son has read his CLE Readers dozens of times.....

CLE LA and Reading were too much together with my ds. Once we finished LA 100 we used the reader and I just asked comprehension questions. I loved having the reader, but found the workbooks unneeded and with the LA, overkill!

:iagree: my kids love the story. We did some of the LU's orally. We start using the whole program in 4th grade.

Faithe

Thanks, everyone!! Your comments are very helpful! It sounds like I should just buy the reader. What is the general consensus on when to start the LUs? It sounds like 3rd or 4th grade? Is 2nd grade a lot like 1st?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Kathy

Edited by jer2911mom

Thanks, everyone!! Your comments are very helpful! It sounds like I should just buy the reader. What is the general consensus on when to start the LUs? It sounds like 3rd or 4th grade? Is 2nd grade a lot like 1st?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Kathy

From the samples it looks like 2nd still has the dictionary markings, etc.

I got CLE reading 2 this year and find I cross out about every other section in the light units. I do think those dictionary sections are weird and we did not use them for phonics so, it makes no sense to my dd.

So ya, I say - still skip the light units at grade 2.