Menu

CPO Physical Science

Has anybody done CPO Physical Science? We are working on CPO Earth Science right now (love it!) and will do CPO Life Science next (already have the books in hand - just need to plan), but the Physical Science is so expensive for the student & teacher books (and I like to have books in hand, not just on the computer.) I was trying to figure out why they are so expensive compared to Earth & Life, and wondering if we should take another direction for that subject.

Hmmmm...I'd love input.

Thanks,

Angela

Has anybody done CPO Physical Science? We are working on CPO Earth Science right now (love it!) and will do CPO Life Science next (already have the books in hand - just need to plan), but the Physical Science is so expensive for the student & teacher books (and I like to have books in hand, not just on the computer.) I was trying to figure out why they are so expensive compared to Earth & Life, and wondering if we should take another direction for that subject.

Hmmmm...I'd love input.

Thanks,

Angela

My 8th grader is using Foundations this year. She has learned a LOT, no doubt. I have helped her learn how to read a text and answer questions, but my dh is the primary teacher (mechanical engineer). He has done the labs and helped with much of the math and science concepts.

If we had it to do over again, however, we would not use the Foundations text because we've found so many errors.... in both the student and teachers books.

I do not know how the other physical science texts compare.

Does your husband substitute for the labs? We are also considering CPO physical science in 7th followed by Physics a first course in 8th. However, the specific lab material is difficult to work around.

I am planning to spend some time at TOPS science and with a couple other physics lab resources to see how much I can switch out...

But if anyone else has invented this wheel I would love to know.

I am also looking at "Conceptual Physics by Hewitt in 8th or 9th grade". It seems to have more information available. There are lots of ps teachers out there using it. Many of them have been very nice and created very useful websites.

I'm using Physics: A First Course this year for 8th, and I'm really happy with it. It's my kids' favorite CPO text so far (we used Life and Earth before this).

I was able to get the books (student/TM/lab book) used inexpensively. I also heavily use the free skill sheets on the website - I was able to get the answers free on a CD from the local rep.

I'll admit I did fork over some big $ and get the car/ramp/timers. The rest of the stuff is very easy and inexpensive to replicate, but that has made my life so much easier, and it's been great fun for the kids. I went in on it with a friend who we're doing the labs with, and I will use the stuff again with my younger dd, so I'm finding it money well spent (esp. since the books cost very little).

I haven't found a ton of mistakes in the answer keys (a few, but that's over the whole year) in this text.

Does your husband substitute for the labs? We are also considering CPO physical science in 7th followed by Physics a first course in 8th. However, the specific lab material is difficult to work around.

I am planning to spend some time at TOPS science and with a couple other physics lab resources to see how much I can switch out...

But if anyone else has invented this wheel I would love to know.

I am also looking at "Conceptual Physics by Hewitt in 8th or 9th grade". It seems to have more information available. There are lots of ps teachers out there using it. Many of them have been very nice and created very useful websites.

We use the CPO Investigations book for labs and purchased some physics and chemistry equipment from Home Science Tools. Dh can easily look at the lab, determine the important lesson/skill to teach, and make the experiment work without using the expensive CPO equipment.

I have the Conceptional Physics text that I have been planning for 9th. I've just been very stuck on how to match the text with labs. The Hewitt sites/labs are oriented around expensive equipment much like CPO, IMO. I thought about using Labpaq, but I'm uneasy about the level of math that is used. (My upcoming 9th grader is taking Alg. I in 8th grade).

The best webpage someone suggested to me is http://www.tryengineering.org/lesson.php

This site looks very promising.

I know others have used CP with ease. I am finding out how much that I don't have a gift for pulling sources together to make a course.

Regentrude has offered several ideas for home-made physics labs. She is able to accomplish rigorous labs using inexpensive materials. Try doing a search for these threads.

For the moment, I'm looking at Derek Owens physics. It's my favorite of all I've looked at. It's open-and-go and doesn't require my input at all. BUT, this comes at a price. His class is expensive.

Hope you find something that you can use.... And if you have an idea for labs to pair with Conceptual Physics, I'd love to know!:001_smile:

For Conceptual Physics by Hewitt, I suggest labs from TOPS science. I love them. There are also some threads in the high school forum where another poster...lori? lists what TOPS labs she uses with what units of CP.

For physical science in 8th grade I think I am going to use the CPO book (and TE if I can get it at a reasonable price),do the labs I can do within reason, and just expand on some chapters with TOPS. I have a couple that are specifically for physical science in the middle years so I will use those.

I am going to save CP by Hewitt for 9th grade. Now, I just have to make sure I don't accidentally overlap my TOPS labs, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
We use the CPO Investigations book for labs and purchased some physics and chemistry equipment from Home Science Tools. Dh can easily look at the lab, determine the important lesson/skill to teach, and make the experiment work without using the expensive CPO equipment.

You wouldn't be willing to post of list of what you bought from HST to do this, would you (or hubby)?

CPO is getting a lot of action on the boards these days. I can't be the only one peering and wondering. ;)

You wouldn't be willing to post of list of what you bought from HST to do this, would you (or hubby)?

CPO is getting a lot of action on the boards these days. I can't be the only one peering and wondering. ;)

I'll do my best from memory... I just happened to catch this thread. The two main things from Home Science Tools were the Physics Introduction Kit and the chemistry equipment set... I *think* the one for $43.95. I also remember ordering a prism. Dh looked through the lab book and chose a few chemicals, but right now I don't remember which ones. If I can find the records, I'll try to verify which ones for you.

Just be aware...we have seen so many errors with the Foundations of Physical Science student AND teacher's books. (The Focus series might be fine... I just don't know.) I had high hopes that this curriculum would be great, but if I could do it over again, I would not choose these books.

The next program I was interested in was PH Concepts in Action with the Kolbe syllabus. I now also know about Derek Owens physical science. I don't really know enough details about either one to be able to help anyone, yet, I would advise you to look at all of your options before choosing Foundations.

I'll do my best from memory... I just happened to catch this thread. The two main things from Home Science Tools were the Physics Introduction Kit and the chemistry equipment set... I *think* the one for $43.95. I also remember ordering a prism. Dh looked through the lab book and chose a few chemicals, but right now I don't remember which ones. If I can find the records, I'll try to verify which ones for you.

Just be aware...we have seen so many errors with the Foundations of Physical Science student AND teacher's books. (The Focus series might be fine... I just don't know.) I had high hopes that this curriculum would be great, but if I could do it over again, I would not choose these books.

I'm sorry, I'm new to CPO shopping, and I'm thinking of the Middle School physical Science text which is ??? more basic than Foundations? On Amazon, Foundations is Copywrite 2002 and the Middle School one is 2007. Same with different names, dates? Different grades? I haven't even found Focus, yet. :) (But I'm looking.)

I've also pm'd AJ and JA to see if she has gotten a list of errata from the rep yet.

ETA: Okay, a deeper dig on Amazon. CPO Life Science and CPO Focus on the Life Science, on Amazon are by the same man, similar covers, and same publication year 2007. Does anyone know the difference? The used ones without the word Focus are cheaper than the ones with the word Focus.

HELP.

Edited by kalanamak

The CPO books with the word "Focus" in the title are simply the California versions. As near as anyone can tell, the only difference is that CA takes the units on outer space out of the CPO Earth and Space and puts it in the "Focus on Physical Science" book. That is why it is called "Focus on Earth Science."

I think that some of the units are in different order as well. The "student investigations" that are available for free do not match up chapter for chapter with the "focus on" books. But the experiments etc are the same. So, you just have to make sure everything is matched up when you use them.

Has anyone previewed the Holt Science books?

I like the look of the CPO books and enjoy that so many of their resources are available as free downloads; however, Holt's books are solid. and my son is using the green one now.

I checked the link, but can't actually see the inside of the books anywhere. I finally found a table of contents, but nothing else. Is there a link that shows the inside of the book?

Has anyone previewed the Holt Science books?

I like the look of the CPO books and enjoy that so many of their resources are available as free downloads; however, Holt's books are solid. and my son is using the green one now.

Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has the Holt Science Fusion books on sale now for 40% off per module (middle school) or year (K-5).

The CPO books with the word "Focus" in the title are simply the California versions. As near as anyone can tell, the only difference is that CA takes the units on outer space out of the CPO Earth and Space and puts it in the "Focus on Physical Science" book. That is why it is called "Focus on Earth Science."

Ah HA. Thanks. I am quietly grabbing the cheapest versions I can find, just in case they become the cabbage patch doll of the hs world (;)).

I think that some of the units are in different order as well. The "student investigations" that are available for free do not match up chapter for chapter with the "focus on" books. But the experiments etc are the same. So, you just have to make sure everything is matched up when you use them.

Mostly true. They also take the Biomes unit out of Life Science and plop it in Focus on Earth Science. Most of the investigations are the same but in different order, but not all. Some are actually different (which in some ways gives you the option of more labs if you decide you like the ones on the website more than in the Focus on... lab books).

I used Focus on Life Science, Focus on Earth Science, and this year we're doing Physics: A First Course, which is an 8-10th grade Physics course (rather than Physical Science).

I bought all the books used on Amazon (though they all came in 'like new' condition). The first two years, it was easier to find the California editions used than the regular ones, which is the only reason I used them. In retrospect, I think I might've preferred the regular ones, if cost and availability hadn't been an issue.

I checked the link, but can't actually see the inside of the books anywhere. I finally found a table of contents, but nothing else. Is there a link that shows the inside of the book?

No, I have not found a place to pre-view these books on-line. DS uses the Integrated green science text.

ETA: Holt Physical Science Homeschool Lesson Plans.

Edited by Heathermomster