Menu

10 years ago Samuel and Richard a story of love and loss.

I'm not a frequent poster here but I've been around for a bit so I thought I'd share part of our story. Especially as in the words of Samuel last night, it is a monumental day. Thanks for reading.

10 years

So much has happened in 10 years. Can't believe it has been that long. But 10 years ago our lives were forever changed by a small little baby named Richard. He would be almost 12 today.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard. And I know Samuel has never forgotten him either. Knowing Richard has changed his life. It hasn't always been easy grieving a loss. But Tuesday Samuel and I will celebrate Richard's life, and the joy he brought to us.

Here is a copy of the story I wrote a few years back about them.

Samuel and Richard A Story of Love and Loss

We lived in Uganda from Aug 2001-June 2002. Samuel was 11, Lucas was 6. We went to help build an orphanage-Children’s Center for The Rafiki Foundation, Inc. We were there just at the very beginning stages, so there were no children at our place.

Samuel and I went about once a week to Nysambia Babies’ Home. It was a very small orphanage. Mostly housing children under 4. It had about 8 rooms in a long building. This place had little money to do anything. It some days could be heart breaking to see, but we were able to look past all of that and just love on the kids.

I went with another lady at first and that first time I met Richard. He had a double ear infection, literally ears filled with pus and flies all around them. AND Richard had the biggest happiest smile on his face. I picked him up and loved on him.

I begin to take Samuel with him. I told him about the happiest baby I had ever met. Samuel and Richard immediately took to each other. My buddy was Thomas. Thomas is now a thriving child at the orphanage we were building.

An orphanage is a hard place to go. It is survival of the fittest situation. Many times the workers know details of the child or maybe there is something about the child that they don’t do more for them. It is survival for the adults too. Richard was not a favored child there and he wasn’t strong himself. It was hard because Samuel saw this neglect for himself.

Richard was born about Dec 7, 2000. He was found in a dust bin (trash can) outside Mulago Hospital in Kampala. He was admitted into Nysambia February 7, 2001. We started going to Nysambia in September.2001.

Once when we were walking into the building we could hear screaming and crying inside. As soon as we stepped into the building one of the workers looked at Samuel and said “your buddy is cryingâ€. Samuel went immediately to his room, where he found Richard in his crib screaming. As soon as Richard saw Samuel though he stopped, lifted his hands toward Samuel. Samuel picked him up and Richard immediately stuck his thumb in his mouth and was happy. That is our most precious memory.

Measles took a run through the orphanage and several kids ended up in the hospital. Richard was there for a time. Richard was in the hospital and then we missed for a couple of weeks. So the next time we saw him he was so pathetic looking. He just struggled so, it was hard to see him.

We still tenderly loved on him. It was hard because Samuel so wanted to bring him home, but that was not our purpose. It was also difficult as we saw the orphanage struggled with putting a kid in a hospital vs. feeding all the rest of them. Food was not easy to come by there either. We would take bananas and sometimes-watered down juice.

The last time we saw Richard, they had a feeding tube down him. I had walked outside to see the other kids and Samuel went to look for Richard. When I found Samuel he was beside Richard rubbing his legs. Pathetic is the only way I can describe him. There was no meat on his body at all. His skin was tight all over his body. He looked too fragile to hold. Samuel looks at me and said “it calms him down when I rub his legs.â€

Another volunteer from Europe came in she looks at me and said “poor baby he just needs to be held. So I very carefully picked Richard up and held him. He was miserable and in pain. I held him and gently kissed him and did my best to calm him. Another lady that volunteered from Holland came and together we tried to get him to eat some yogurt she brought. I probably held him for an hour or more just standing there in the room. I finally had to leave I gave Richard to her and she took him outside to hold.

Richard died sometime during the night. I believe they took him to the hospital. It was 2 AM March 13, 2002. They bury them immediately so there was nothing for us to see or do. That has probably been the hardest thing to deal with.

But through it all Samuel and I both have seen the hand of God. God allowed us on Richard’s last day to love on him and care for him more than he had had in many days. Richard will forever be a part of our lives. I am thankful for even as painful as it has been that Samuel learned to love this child that others saw as unworthy.

Samuel celebrated his 12th birthday shortly after that. He took some of his birthday money and gave it to the director to help off set Richard’s medical bills. The look on the director’s face will forever be etched in my mind. It was of shocked gratitude.

So this is Richard and Samuel’s story.

It is very touching to hear this story. It reminds me why my dh spends hours updating a website for a orphanage in Uganda so that they can remain funded. I will be more careful not to resent the yard work that doesn't get done so that kids like Richard will really have a chance in life.

It is very touching to hear this story. It reminds me why my dh spends hours updating a website for a orphanage in Uganda so that they can remain funded. I will be more careful not to resent the yard work that doesn't get done so that kids like Richard will really have a chance in life.

Thanks, the orphanage where we visited was horribly underfunded. The kids once got a half a cup of porridge for breakfast because they had forgotten the older kids had no school that day. They also never got a morning snack, there was no water to drink regularly. My buddy, once drank the water from the gutter storage tank.

we took bananas and some times juice for the kids

How wonderful that Richard was able to feel true love from you and Samuel during his final days. So many children in orphanages never experience that, and it is heart wrenching. :crying:

I wonder what the director was thinking in that moment and if it changed him in any way? We just never know why things happen.

Thank you for sharing such a sweet and inspiring story. It is heartbreaking, too. My sister worked at an orphanage for children two and under in Djibouti for a summer a few years ago. The biggest problem was that there were not enough people working there to give them love and attention. My sister spent a majority of her time just holding them so that they could -- just for awhile -- feel that necessary human touch. She would hold five babies at once: two resting on her lap, one lying on her legs, and one in each arm.

Thank you for sharing that story. :crying:

My sister adopted her son from an orphanage in India that was extremely underfunded. The babies spent days and days in the cribs with very little food and were hardly ever held. My nephew was next to another little boy in a crib and they became "friends". They would move as close to each other as they could get and talk to each other in baby talk and would hold hands. My sister would have loved to take this other boy home, too, but for some reason, he was not allowed to be adopted. That orphanage has since closed, and I know my sister still thinks about that other little boy, her son's first friend.

How wonderful that Richard was able to feel true love from you and Samuel during his final days. So many children in orphanages never experience that, and it is heart wrenching. :crying:

I wonder what the director was thinking in that moment and if it changed him in any way? We just never know why things happen.

Thanks that is what we hold on to that we loved and loved on him.

One thing I remember about the director is that he was so touched that Samuel shared HIS money it was a small amount to him but it really was a large amount. It was about $6 worth of their money- 10,000 shillings, point of reference we paid our full time house guard about $100,000 shillings a month, or about $60.

I actually that same day had brought in an offering from a youth group that was $100. But the money from Samuel was so much more valuable.

Thank you for sharing such a sweet and inspiring story. It is heartbreaking, too. My sister worked at an orphanage for children two and under in Djibouti for a summer a few years ago. The biggest problem was that there were not enough people working there to give them love and attention. My sister spent a majority of her time just holding them so that they could -- just for awhile -- feel that necessary human touch. She would hold five babies at once: two resting on her lap, one lying on her legs, and one in each arm.

oh yeah I have pictures like that. one funny thing if My buddy got in my lap before someone else he would push them away and not allow anyone else to be held by me. But If I had someone else he would just get in my arms also.

post-12366-1353508640101_thumb.jpg Samuel and Richard

post-12366-13535086401184_thumb.jpg me and some of the kids. my buddy isn't one of these guys.

Thanks all. It has been an emotional day here for many reasons this was just one of them.

We did go out to eat in Celebration of Richard.

We talked of Richard, the orphanage, hopes and pains.

Interestingly Samuel is still very angry at God about Richard's death. He is a bit angry with us on not taking Richard in and doing more for him.

He also had very vivid memories that he hadn't shared with me about that day. Wow it was painful, life altering.

I did tell him he needed to find a way to honor Richard in the things he did/does on this anniversary. We did have a nice time and I'm glad we went.

Thank you for sharing this story. Poor sweet little Richard. :crying: I'm glad you shared the pictures....and that you have pictures to remember Richard by. How sad that today Richard would be the age of Samuel in the picture. I'm sure it was good that Samuel got to share with you some of the feelings he had/has had all of these years. I'm glad you cared...and still care...about Richard to keep remembering him like this. I'm sure Richard thought you and Samuel were his most favorite people.

This reminded me of a story....a true story....I once read. It was about an orphanage....I don't remember where anymore. There was a long line of cribs in one big room. The baby on the end always seemed a little healthier and a little happier then any of the other babies. It was later discovered that the cleaning woman would come in and sweep the floor. When she was finished, she would pick up the baby in the end crib where she was standing....just for a little while....just to rock and cuddle the baby a bit. Just that little bit of regular human contact and love had such an impact on that baby.

I know you and Samuel made a difference in Richard's life.

Thank you for sharing your story.

This may sound strange, but sometimes I feel for God...knowing that He knows every one of these stories and feels the pain of every one of these little ones. We only know the ones we hear about. God knows EVERY ONE. And it was never what He intended for them.

Thank you for sharing this story. Poor sweet little Richard. :crying: I'm glad you shared the pictures....and that you have pictures to remember Richard by. How sad that today Richard would be the age of Samuel in the picture. I'm sure it was good that Samuel got to share with you some of the feelings he had/has had all of these years. I'm glad you cared...and still care...about Richard to keep remembering him like this. I'm sure Richard thought you and Samuel were his most favorite people.

This reminded me of a story....a true story....I once read. It was about an orphanage....I don't remember where anymore. There was a long line of cribs in one big room. The baby on the end always seemed a little healthier and a little happier then any of the other babies. It was later discovered that the cleaning woman would come in and sweep the floor. When she was finished, she would pick up the baby in the end crib where she was standing....just for a little while....just to rock and cuddle the baby a bit. Just that little bit of regular human contact and love had such an impact on that baby.

I know you and Samuel made a difference in Richard's life.

Thanks and wow i had not even thought about them being the same age.

Thanks it was tough to hold them at times, in fact my husband never went with us it was too hard for him to think about doing.

Blessings to you and your family for being the hands of Jesus for this child. Your story brought tears to my eyes. We sponsor two orphans through Rafiki. They do a wonderful job with orphan care inAfrica.

Aw thanks for that. We don't sponsor a child at the moment, but do continue to generally support Rafiki?

Where are your kids? We still have lots of contacts and keep up with our friends there, so I probably know someone there.

Some threads just need a Kleenex Warning, darn it, and this is one of them. I was fine until I read about 12yo Samuel taking part of his birthday money and giving it to the director. Wow. Just wow.

Thank you for sharing this!

Sorry, I bawled on and off all day yesterday.

In fact he had to pray cause I kept tearing up.

Aw thanks for that. We don't sponsor a child at the moment, but do continue to generally support Rafiki?

Where are your kids? We still have lots of contacts and keep up with our friends there, so I probably know someone there.

One is in Liberia and the other is in.... oh goodness. I forget. We just got her, too. Somewhere in Central Africa. I love getting Rafiki's calendar. The orphanages are very nice looking and I really like Rafiki's philosophy toward orphan care and education.

Wow...that made me cry, too.

We built a website for one of these small orphanages in Uganda: http://www.bojmu.org. And we hope to adopt one of these older children, as well as try to get our small-but-generous church involved in sponsoring some of the kids. There are times that they get just one meal of porridge a day. We've had opportunities to Skype with the pastor and the kids, and they are just the sweetest people you will ever meet. My whole family can't wait to go see them--hopefully sometime this year!

Word got out that we donate our time to building websites, so we're working on another one in Busia, Uganda. The orphan crisis there is truly appalling. Any little bit that any of us can do to alleviate their suffering is huge.

Another great ministry we've gotten involved with is http://www.sixtyfeet.org. They minister to the imprisoned children of Uganda--and yes, that's "imprisoned" as in "behind bars"...most of these kids' only crime was to be abandoned by their parents. There are even infants in these prisons. It's just beyond anything we can imagine here in our comfortable little western world. Check it out--maybe see about hosting a Cupcake Kids sale this May. Or if you could support the BOJMU ministry, that would be awesome.

It truly is my passion now to help these kids in whatever way I can. My entire family's lives have been changed just by knowing them. That sounds so trite, but it's true. I can no longer complain about anything now that I know what daily life is like for these precious children. Supporting the orphanages is SO important to keep these poor kids OUT of the places that SixtyFeet ministers to. The ones willing to take them in, man, they SO need our help!

One is in Liberia and the other is in.... oh goodness. I forget. We just got her, too. Somewhere in Central Africa. I love getting Rafiki's calendar. The orphanages are very nice looking and I really like Rafiki's philosophy toward orphan care and education.

So cool, and yep just checked and we do have some friends there. He supported us in going to Uganda and now he is there. AB are the initals.

Thanks for supporting one of the least of these, and you know the need is great.

We so hope some day in God's mercy to be able to return.

Wow...that made me cry, too.

We built a website for one of these small orphanages in Uganda: http://www.bojmu.org. And we hope to adopt one of these older children, as well as try to get our small-but-generous church involved in sponsoring some of the kids. There are times that they get just one meal of porridge a day. We've had opportunities to Skype with the pastor and the kids, and they are just the sweetest people you will ever meet. My whole family can't wait to go see them--hopefully sometime this year!

Word got out that we donate our time to building websites, so we're working on another one in Busia, Uganda. The orphan crisis there is truly appalling. Any little bit that any of us can do to alleviate their suffering is huge.

Another great ministry we've gotten involved with is http://www.sixtyfeet.org. They minister to the imprisoned children of Uganda--and yes, that's "imprisoned" as in "behind bars"...most of these kids' only crime was to be abandoned by their parents. There are even infants in these prisons. It's just beyond anything we can imagine here in our comfortable little western world. Check it out--maybe see about hosting a Cupcake Kids sale this May. Or if you could support the BOJMU ministry, that would be awesome.

It truly is my passion now to help these kids in whatever way I can. My entire family's lives have been changed just by knowing them. That sounds so trite, but it's true. I can no longer complain about anything now that I know what daily life is like for these precious children. Supporting the orphanages is SO important to keep these poor kids OUT of the places that SixtyFeet ministers to. The ones willing to take them in, man, they SO need our help!

Thanks for the work you do. The need is so great it is really hard for us to imagine what it is like there.

and hey I lived there.