Menu

free phonics program

MomtoCandJ

I'm looking for a free phonics program for dd, either online or download. Prefer something that I can print so we don't tie up the computer and use up all of our 5gb that we have for a month. Dd is three and a 1/2 (bd is 11/26/08) she is in headstart right now and going to the prek program at the charter school next year. She really wants to learn how to read but I just don't have the money to buy anything for her.

For the young crowd, I See Sam is fun:

http://www.marriottmd.com/sam/index.html

You could also do Blend Phonics with my concentration game.

Don Potter has a lot of other free online choices, Word Mastery is a good time tested choice as well.

My favorite free program is Webster's Speller! Here is how I used it in K with my son:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208407

Don Potter has a lot of resources on his site. I was using other programs but I really liked the format of blend phonics and the Flesch list used in Teach Johnny to Read so I will be switching to that once my printer gets here. I also like reading bear. Right now there are only 15 presentations but there will eventually be 50. He does have flash cards from the Flesch list he used with his son on the reading bear site that you can print out. I am going to print those out. The first 52 I See Sam readers can be printed out for free as well as progressive phonics readers.

Edited by MistyMountain

http//www.readingbear.org is about halfway there and should be finished this summer.

By the way, Reading Bear is one of the resources Don Potter links to (or he told me was going to, anyway--haven't checked). It is based on the Rudolph Flesch word lists that Potter advocates using.

I missed this when I posted. I really love the reading bear site. I can't thank you enough for creating that site. It is such a wonderful resource. I am so excited to hear it might be finished this summer.

I'd probably use I See Sam (mentioned upthread and I'll link too) for that age. We used I See Sam (links in this post for free ones to print/use) and Progressive Phonics others have mentioned.

I also found and used a great free program to teach the phonograms (and spelling) in a multi-sensory/orton-gillingham based way I used I'll link in next.

Specifically I taught the phonograms in a multisensory way using this free program to do it well--it includes K-2nd reading and spelling (orton-gillingham style like AAS). I used it to teach the phonograms up front though--concentrating on reading first and then going back for spelling after we were reading well.

Basically I began with I See Sam and then used the free program methods but I switched the presentation order of those phonograms a little to match up with the progressive phonics order of presentation. So we would learn the phonogram using their multi-sensory techniques and then use progressive phonics as fun and decodable reading practice with the new phonogram and the previously learned phonograms. It was so effective. You don't have to do I See Sam first but we really loved those books and I think it's a great way to start for any child I think.