Menu

Lowdown on LAX

We are flying out of LAX to go home tomorrow.

I haven't been to LAX in *YEARS*.

What can I expect? Will they require me to go through those *blasted* scanners? Will they require my kids to go through them?

How does it work? Is two hours enough to go through security?

We are flying out of LAX to go home tomorrow.

I haven't been to LAX in *YEARS*.

What can I expect? Will they require me to go through those *blasted* scanners? Will they require my kids to go through them?

How does it work? Is two hours enough to go through security?

I flew out of LAX about 9 months ago with my two kids. It was a breeze. The kids and I went through regular metal detectors, though there were plenty of scanners. My son had to bring his epi-pen and it wasn't a problem. I had it in a ziploc bag, put in a bin, and sent it through the luggage/carry on scanner. But a lady on our flight had metal sequin on her shirt and they put her through 2+ hours of h$ll. She just barely made the flight. I made sure my kids had absolutely NO metal on them anywhere.

It definitely didn't take me two hours to get through security but it might depend on when you are flying out. I've had it TAKE forever.

I paid for my luggage and printed boarding passes on the computer at home so that saved time. I just had to drop off my bags and get through security.

It was actually the best experience I've ever had there and I've flown out of LAX many times over the last 15 years.

Edited by Daisy

I fly in and out of LAX quite often. I've always gone through the regular scanners, but they do have the newer ones. If it's busy, they won't mess with them, but if it's not...it's a possibility....I've seen a few people being sent through them. If you're wearing something that sets off the metal detector, you're chances of being sent through the newer scanners or being patted down are much higher. Your kiddos will be sent through the older scanners unless there is some sort of red flag with them. Make sure they don't have belts or metal jewelry on.

All in all, it's a very easy airport to navigate, security-wise....last trip took 15 minutes.

I found flying out of LAX to be pretty easy. I would say if you are flying with younger children that the chance they will pull you out for the special scanners is slim, unless you repeatedly set off the other machine. Now the fact that my son youngest passed out and then puked before getting to security made the journey through LAX a memorable one for me.

About 8 mos ago, I went through the scanner at LAX, and had a pat down (by a female) that was quick and boring. I didn't wear a bra or hose, just undies and a simple sundress. I wore heeled sandals that could be easily slipped off. It took about 3 mintues to get through screening.

Edited by LibraryLover