Menu

?For those who've used Phonics Pathways?

Once your child has finished Phonics Pathways what do you use?

My son finished doing PP 3 years ago. He was reading and comprehending so well I decided to drop any formal phonics program (since it goes to 4th grade level).

He has been reading on a 7th grade level independently for some time now, but is not advancing. He 'can' read more difficult books, but gravitates mostly to 6th and 7th grade books. What can I use to build his vocabulary and phonetic decoding skills to get him over the hump?

The only "phonics" type material we used this year was Sequential Spelling, but I'd like something in addition to this for next year (3rd grade for him).

Thanks.

He has been reading on a 7th grade level independently for some time now, but is not advancing. He 'can' read more difficult books, but gravitates mostly to 6th and 7th grade books. What can I use to build his vocabulary and phonetic decoding skills to get him over the hump?

For vocabulary improvement, have you considered a roots program? I picked up Vocabulary Vine (Latin and Greek roots) and think we will start that this year. For us, I think it will give us more "bang for the buck" (or minute <G>) than something like Wordly Wise at this point.

That said, what have you seen that is leading you to believe he isn't reading the more difficult books because of vocabulary or decoding skills? Is it possible that it is more of an interest or maturity issue? It could also just be a plateau or rest period for him. I have seen that my daughter's reading doesn't move in a linear progression, it's more leaps and plateaus.

I know that my daughter (who will be 8 this summer) is fully capable of reading on a similar level (her vocabulary, spelling, decoding and reading comprehension all test very high on the Woodcock Johnson and on the out of level ITBS we just gave). For pleasure reading, however, she still gravitates to much simpler books---the big draws right now are graphic novels and comic strip books <G> and those with lots of illustrations. I'm not sure if she is in part intimidated by the smaller font size and density of the book or finds it more tiring to read books like that because her oculomotor muscle coordination is still developing. It could also be that she is simply more interested in the story lines and subject matter of the lower reading level books as well because she is still emotionally 7/8---this doesn't prevent her from enjoying books aimed at an older audience, but may play a factor.

I also realized that for pleasure, *I* don't always pick books that are the most challenging <G>. Overall, I have decided not to worry about it for her and let her get it "out of her system". This seems to be working as she recently decided to get rid of a large number of the series at lower reading levels and is going toward longer chapter books at the library.

I stop using a reading program once they're fluent. My oldest got through about half of Phonics Pathways before she started on real books, so we never finished, though she did look through the last part on her own a little. Sometimes she will come to me with a question about a word she doesn't know, but mostly I think the context helps her, so her vocabulary is growing without our putting in any specific effort. I agree with Karen that they advance in spurts and plateaus, too.

I don't think there's much measurable difference in "levels" past about 6th grade - the difference is more in the content, and specialized vocabulary for different areas/subjects becomes more difficult.

A lot of parents steer away from that when the student if reading proficiently, but if you continuing to have them read aloud, you will catch pronunciation errors in advanced words. They may know what they mean, but they don't know how to say them.

Maybe it isn't phonics and decoding skills - could it be he likes the content in those books better (more relevant to his age), or that his peers read them and this way he can have something in common with them?

I would say read aloud to him. You may already be doing this, but as I understand it many children stop progressing in reading when they stop being read to.

Another idea too boost vocab - you could do latin/greek roots/prefixes/sufixes.

Maybe it isn't phonics and decoding skills - could it be he likes the content in those books better (more relevant to his age), or that his peers read them and this way he can have something in common with them?
This is certainly the case with my 6yo. She also prefers to read books with larger type. I'm considering getting her a Sony Reader (like her dad's) for the car because its text size can be adjusted.

We didn't do phonics for reading; she taught herself. However, we do use phonics to a degree in spelling. If your child is either reading or being read aloud books on varied topics, vocabulary will take care of itself to a large degree: Yesterday, DD learned about pawn shops from Circus Shoes. For vocabulary she is slowly working through Michael Clay Thompson's Caesar's English I and will start CEII sometime this year. We also read aloud daily: about an hour for history and 30-60 minutes at bedtime.

Maybe it isn't phonics and decoding skills - could it be he likes the content in those books better (more relevant to his age),

He does tend to enjoy Science Fiction and Mysteries over any other genre, but in relation to his age I would say that most of the books that he really enjoys have much more to do with vivid descriptive text and a lot less to do with relevance to his personal daily life.

or that his peers read them and this way he can have something in common with them?

I don't think that this is the case since he is reading books designed for 12 year olds and he is only 8 years old. Also most of his friends even those who are 12 are reading books like Captain Underpants "for fun", while he is reading books like Where the Red Fern Grows.

I would say read aloud to him. You may already be doing this, but as I understand it many children stop progressing in reading when they stop being read to.

I read to all the children from The Children's Reading Hour a few days a week and dh has been reading through The Chronicles of Narnia with him... they take turns. He has also been listening to and reads SOTW 2, the Keys to the Kingdom series, Once Upon a Crime, and the Jonathan Park series.

Another idea too boost vocab - you could do latin/greek roots/prefixes/sufixes.

We used Words on the Vine which is a 5-8th grade Greek/Latin vocabulary workbook this year. (I don't recall if it had prefixes & sufixes as he did it mostly on his own with only occasional assistance). He enjoyed it quite a bit, but I think he needs something a little more challenging for next year.

This is certainly the case with my 6yo. She also prefers to read books with larger type.

I think this is part of it as he complains whenever the print is smaller then 12 font. But then again so do I. lol