Menu

A Living World of Our History or Trail Guides Pathways?

Emagine

Duh:willy_nilly: sorry...doing too many things :)

Yes, A Living History of our World. I like this but also like the other. However I have read mixed reviews on ages. The website for Pathways says 3,4,5th. I have a 6 & 9 yr old but on their FB page they say it is easy to adapt.

Any experience?

I using Paths of Exploration this year for a first grader (6 years old) and third grader (eight years old) and I do not do everything exactly with my first grader, he certainly manages and learns very well! For example- he is not into writing a lot, LOL. So, he doesn't do all the copywork. He hates "art" but the sketching involved has been gentle enough for him. I love it! I also have the other book, but it just didn't seem to have the "extras" I wanted... Paths of Exploration has so many things- vocab, science, literature, etc. I needed that in a program. I love how it is all laid out. We will use Paths of Settlement next year, when my kids are in 2nd grade and 4th grade! I think next year, my DS will be able to really do the first level well, and my daughter will keep on using the second level set of plans.

That is exactly what has drawn me in, all the littles involved. I do not think I will have an issue out of my 9 yr old as this is one area he likes. I just have to make it engaging as possible to get him to focus and not over stimulate.

My 6 yr old (December) is eager to learn but immature. He is also on the spectrum with ADHD. But he is about equal to his brother in some areas (because of his delays) and spot on for the rest.

You think Pathways will be do-able? I like the look of both but it seems Pathways has more meat on it but want to make sure it is a good fit.

Because it has extras, like the science and stuff, how do you do this? I have never used something that also dove into other areas of learning. I am just wondering if it would be enough or add something else?

I am also peering into Trail Guide to World Geo - but do not want to over load my kids, or me.

Making my list to check these things out next week :)

TY kindly for your help.

The one thing that I personally struggle with is reading aloud, which you need to do several days a week! LOL! I don't LOVE reading aloud longer passages, and usually it's one chapter a day. If there is an issue with attention span while you're reading, you could break it up. Somedays, I did that.

The curriculum is all inclusive (except Math, of course) and I did supplement- some. But, you don't have to! REALLY! I think the science for Paths of Exploration is pretty good. My dad is a chemistry teacher (retired) so I was inclined to do a little more. There's lots of nature study/learning about animals. And really, you should feel comfortable to have your sons do what they can. I don't feel badly at all for having my DS not do EVERYTHING. He has learned plenty!

Off topic, your blog is great!

Yeah I hear ya. Reading out loud is something I make myself do. I am working on finding that schedule and rotating things more to make all things easier. But I totally understand. My kids would rather me do it late in the day. But they are tired and I feel done by then. We have slowly been getting into a better groove.

I think I will check more into it for sure. I like the all in one sorta catch.

I am very happy with it. The read aloud is short and sweet. Sometimes I wish there were more but so far the kids are happy with the content and if they should want more there is always the internet and other books I may have on hand here at the house.

I am using it with two 10yrs old and a younger 8yrs old who functions more like a 6-7 yrs old in some ways.

Two gripes: Wish it had the student journal pages like the project pages in the adult reading book so I can see what the projects are without stealing my kids book.

Also wished I bought more than one reading book because my kids often fight to read the stories again and again so they can fill in their journals. In fact looking back I think each child should have their own reading book. But I just bought one for financial reasons.

We are doing both Story of the World Ancients and we are also doing American History. My ten yrs old also did state history as well this year.

Edited by happycc