Menu

If you miss the first history cycle (grammar stage)?

alisoncooks

My mind is at war: what I already have planned vs. the recommendations in TWTM.

My already-laid plans:

1st - mapping skills/basic geography

2nd - study of our state (some history, Lost Colony, Wright brothers, etc)

3rd - US study (50 states, colonial times)

4th - World study (countries & cultures)

That would have us starting Ancients w/ my oldest a 5th grader (and my youngest, 3rd). Has anyone who has followed a classical plan miss that grammar-stage cycle? Do you feel like you missed out? My oldest will JUST be in first grade next year, so technically I could change my plans...

I just don't wanna.:sneaky2:

Do you think it would be too much to do SOTW as read-alouds (in addition to my above plan), just to get it in her brain. No activities, no notebooking. Just reading w/ some retell (like bedtime stories)? I wonder if it would be confusing...

I'm so torn. Opinions please!

I think your plan sounds great. We did SOTW 1 when they were 2nd and PreK, SOTW 2 when they were 3rd and K, and tried SOTW 3 in 4th and 1st, but never finished it, they just didn't like history anymore because they wanted to learn about things they thought were cool. So we just kind of winged it for the last couple of years. Next year for 8th and 5th with my older two I was planning to try SOTW 4, but may end up just using the Time Travelers CDroms from homeschool in the woods for a fun way to learn American history and then start over with the 4 year cycle, sometimes I think I'll use History Odyssey for modern and then just add in bits from the Time Travelers for fun projects as we go.

With my youngest (who is first this year) I've decided to just let him tag along and join in when he wants to from 1st through 4th, then we'll officially start the 4 year cycle when he's in 5th.

I like your plan and think it looks good. I didn't even know about doing a 4 year rotation until a year ago, so we just started this year with my oldest in 5th grade. My kids had no interest in world history in the early elementary grades. If I had to do it over again, I would have done something very similiar to your plan.:001_smile:

I agree, stick with your plan. You can do some extra reading from the list of books that TWTM suggests. For the grammar stage that would be enough without doing notebooking. I read a picture book about Greek myths to my 2nd grader for bedtime stories and she still remembers the strangest details from those stories. It's just an introduction anyways, so the material won't be so daunting later on.

Do you think it would be too much to do SOTW as read-alouds (in addition to my above plan), just to get it in her brain. No activities, no notebooking. Just reading w/ some retell (like bedtime stories)? I wonder if it would be confusing...

We're also shifting the cycles until later. There would be no problem with SOTW as a read-aloud, though it might be easier (though pricier) to purchase the audiobooks and do a chapter or two in the car each week.

There are so many other, more literary, history spines for read-aloud that I'd be tempted to go with one of those for this purpose: a bit richer language and plot. Though that may not meet your goals and might add complication. Synge's books come to mind ("On the Shores of the Great Seas" is one for ancients; there's a Christian slant), "Fifty Famous Stories Retold".

Remember that TWTM is a guide.... a fantastic one, certainly, but still a guide. I think many, if not most, of the people on this board tweak it somehow to better fit their families.

We just started homeschooling this year, and my son is a 3rd grader, so we're missing the whole first cycle too. My plan is to do American history and geography next year, a 4 year cycle 5th-8th, then a more traditional high school schedule of separate world history, American history, government, etc.

You'll be just fine with what you have planned!! :)