Menu

What very special treat or snack would you pack for a zoo trip?

Dh is taking the day off work tomorrow to take the little boys and I to the zoo. We're very excited!

We go to the zoo once a year or so. The food prices there are ridiculous. I want this to be a very special day (dh is VERY happy to be taking us), but don't want to pay $7 for an ice cream cone. :D I'm cheap like that. Dh not so much; since it's a special occasion, he'll gladly pay the crazy inflated prices.

But, I already have a grocery trip planned for today. Sooo, I thought if I could pick up some special treats and take them along, then I could at least cut it down to buying ONE special treat at the zoo. (Yes, dh can go overboard when on a trip or vacation, LOL. He's so sweet.)

So what shoud I get? And I'm not concerned about nutrition for this. :tongue_smilie: It's a special day, and I'll get them whatever for one day.

Ideas for drinks, snacks, etc. are very welcome. I'll be taking a back pack, so I can put things in a small (lunch box size) cooler; but nothing that needs to stay frozen.

I would just let THEM pick it out, but I kinda want it to be a surprise. Like we get to the zoo, and 'Surprise! Mommy packed these totally awesome snacks that you never get! So NO, we don't need to buy the $29 bag of cotton candy!' LOL. Hmmm, maybe I should see if the grocery store sells cotton candy...

Do you have an ice cream shop near the zoo or you? That is our treat on special days. I tell the kids after our trip, we will go instead of spending so much. Even if it only a Wendy's frosty. Maybe some special bakery cookies that you would never buy. Have they been asking for a food item that you would never buy normally? If so, I would get that.

Have fun at the zoo.

Any sweet treat the kids don't usually get will be thrilling, but don't forget the drinks. All that walking makes us thirsty! We usually eat at a fast food place just outside the zoo before we go in so we are not hungry, but everybody gets thirsty from all the walking in the sun...even on cool days.

Have fun! :001_smile:

Our big treat is driving through McDonald's and getting breakfast. We put it in our cooler and that's what we actually eat for lunch.

maybe some yogurt tubes, chips, cookies or a candy bar? Even if you do pack the fun stuff, don't argue with DH over buying a $7 ice cream come. I HATE to do that too, but it somehow makes my DH so happy. I think he loves just the fact that he is ABLE to do it. It somehow fulfills his providership thingie.

I freeze gogurt tubes for zoo trips. A major treat for my kids, (they've had them twice ever,) are lunchables. They have some that come with a drink and dessert. I saw take-along size nutella at the store last week. :w00t: Could you make caramel or candy popcorn or caramel apples? Another treat for my guys are the bottles of juice with character tops. We've gotten Clifford the big red dog, various Bob the builder vehicles, and a number of superheroes. There are also princesses. We keep tiny boxes of raisins for outings, and then for a special surprise sometimes I get tiny boxes of yogurt covered raisins. Have fun!

Our big treat is driving through McDonald's and getting breakfast. We put it in our cooler and that's what we actually eat for lunch.

maybe some yogurt tubes, chips, cookies or a candy bar? Even if you do pack the fun stuff, don't argue with DH over buying a $7 ice cream come. I HATE to do that too, but it somehow makes my DH so happy. I think he loves just the fact that he is ABLE to do it. It somehow fulfills his providership thingie.

Thank you for the reminder (in bold), Cin. I know you're quite right. I'm just hoping to keep it to ONE seven dollar ice cream cone per kid, LOL. And you are spot on that dh is happy that he CAN buy it for them, and that he wants to, so I shouldn't steal his joy. You should've seen how happy he was to tell us the plan to go to the zoo. I almost cried. Not because I love the zoo so much, LOL. But it's so sweet for dh to take the day off and do this. He's SO busy at work. Crazy busy. And I know that taking off the day on Wed. means extra long days the rest of this week. He works so hard, and he really enjoys taking time with the family occasionally to enjoy the fruits of his labor, so to speak.

Anyway, thank you for the reminder. :)

The Detroit zoo has these huge lollipops/suckers at all the food/toy shops. They cost like 5$ I always bring a big sucker from the local candy shop which is cheaper and not quite so ridiculously large . Its the only thing they REALLY beg for.

I like to get the kids the granola bars that have the chocolate coating or Luna bars. We really like the TJs brand of granola bars. One nice thing is that they have a bit to them, so it actually feels like they ate something. Even if they get squished, they still are good to eat (unlike cereal bars that are gross when squished). For a candy like treat we get gummy fruits. They are tasty and once again....do well squished. Bubble gum lasts a long time as do suckers. Our zoo sells those large globe suckers for about $1 (They get kind of 'drooly' to me, but the kids like them, or I buy a bundle of Tootsie pops from the dollar store.

Water bottles are great, and so are the little sprinkle packets of flavoring. This gets my kids over the hurdle of wanting all the colorful drinks that they sell. I like to fill a water bottle 1/2 full and freeze, then top with liquid the next day. The water stays cooler and you don't have extra weight of an ice cooler to carry.

I know a lot of people love frozen grapes to eat...they aren't our fave but lots of people can't be wrong. :lol:

I used to pack each kid a paper bag snack bag and I would put the same items in each bag. That way they had control over what they ate and when. They also have the choice to pick which items are for what time....gives them the 'shopping' experience. I also, would set a limit of say $10 each child. I would tell them, if they bought food with it, it was gone. Or else they could spend it at the store on the way out, or just keep it when they left if they wanted too. This way they had a tangible amount and could make good choices. We usually stopped at the store on the way into the zoo, so they can make a decision there and then keep it in mind as they were shopping later. Nothing real time intensive, maybe 10-15 minutes, but enough to satisfy their curiosity.

We make sure to feed them well before we go and leave a second set of cold drinks/salty snack (like pretzels) in the car (in a cooler) for the ride home.

If your zoo has 'keys' and you already have one, take it with you. If you don't and one of your friends may, ask to borrow it. Tie it to a string or lanyard around your neck. Take a picture of the family when you first get there and everyone is in a good mood and clean. Snap a quick individual pix of each person (doesn't have to be great- you can delete it later if you don't need it) This will also help in case you get separated to remember what they are wearing and so they can spread a picture around quickly.

Download a zoo map ahead of time and let each child pick one thing that they really want to see. Look at the special features like train rides and exhibits so you can purchase tickets ahead of time if you decide you want to do those. It also helps to give you time to plan your day.

If you don't already have one, look at the membership rates after you get an idea of what you want to do. They are often cheaper for a day with a few kids, than buying everything individually, due to discounts in the zoo. You can also pay on line and then just show your receipt at the members window instead of standing in the long line (depends on where you are and the time of year).

Just a quick reminder, think about the zoo environment. Some are mostly concrete and get hot. The Oregon zoo is very damp, so it can be easily 10* cooler than outside and a lot is under canopy by big trees so sunshine can be limitied. Plan an extra layer of clothes accordingly, especially if you plan to sit outside to picknic.

I prefer a wagon to a stroller for older kids, to carry lunch, coats, a tired soul etc.

Perfect snack--ANIMAL CRACKERS!!

I'd pack a sandwich for each and maybe cut it with a cookie cutter into an animal shape. That way their blood sugar won't zoom up and down.

:iagree: Animal crackers and animal sandwiches would be perfect! If you're taking a cooler, how about some string cheese and fresh fruit too? You can freeze juice pouches too, and put them in the cooler to keep everything cold.