Menu

Workbooks for early preschooler who wants to do school like syblings?

Clpretzel

Help me fill my ds's workboxes so that he can do school like his syblings. The little guy wants worksheets like the older ones. Any workbook suggestions for a bright 3 year old?

I'm also in central PA :)

My 3 year old really likes the Rod & Staff preschool workbooks and the Kumon activity books (cutting, pasting, mazes).

Rod & Staff ABC series is great for that age (if you're ok with Christian content). I started the first book at 3.5 for my middle son. I really love the way they teach number formation. I keep meaning to make some cards to go on the wall with the numbers and those sayings.

Also, any used workbooks that my older kids are done with, my youngest gets. He thinks he really is doing math when he pulls out the used Singapore EM K book A. :D Just yesterday, he was with his brother on my bed, all doing math. He said, "How many cats are there?" I said, "Zero! Those are rabbits!" :lol: But really, he has fun counting the critters on the page or pointing out the numbers or trying to write the numbers himself. And it's totally ok if he doesn't do the page exactly as you're supposed to since it's already done. ;)

Re-using the completed workbooks is a good idea. I JUST threw away a bunch of completed workbooks from when my oldest two were in PreK-1st grade; I should have held on to a few for my 3yo to use! She insists on doing school multiple times per day. I am using the R&S 3-4 year old books with her right now (starts with About Three), plus have the ABC series here. She already did Book A from that series. I'm slowing her down by telling her she has to color everything on the page before she's allowed to move on. :) For example, in About Three, the first few pages just have them following a path from left to right, so all they really have to do is draw a few lines. I told her she also had to color the houses, wheelbarrows, etc. Same thing with "which one is different" pages. She doesn't just put an X on the different picture. She also colors everything. So, that idea would work for dc who aren't opposed to coloring!

Larger bookstores and teacher-supply stores have spinner racks of inexpensive little workbooks by Carson-Dellosa. They are color-printed. Might take a peak at those.

They look like this.

518Dww7cPEL._AA115_.jpg

51LxcijxNHL._AA115_.jpg

Amazon also carries them. I would suggest logging onto the Carson-Dellosa Web site for a preview of each before buying.

1+1+1=1 and homeschool creations (i think) have many worksheets for the younger ones, in a million different themes. My boys aren't really into worksheets and books but they loved the monster truck and Cars themed pages. There's something for everyone!

My 2 and 4 year old love the Brainquest PreK and K books. They also love any dry erase books I can find. I have things like the Kumon shape and letter cards, and other dry erase maze books. The 4 year old does them all correctly and the almost 3 year old thinks it's great fun to get to use my dry erase markers that normally I don't let him touch.