Menu

Dance moms the Tv show

Okay I do enjoy this show,

makes me realize there are worse parents than the sports parents I have known.

anyway I missed last weeks show, episode 9, sometimes I watch it online.

but this one isn't online and I can't see where it has been re-shown or will be re-shown which they usually do

SO why is that any one know?

I'd be surprised if they can keep this show going. My dd started competition dance this year and it is not at all like that show! I'd never allow a dance teacher to treat her like that either. Most of the major dance competitions are starting to ban them from filming. Parents of competitive dancers dislike how it portrays their activity, dislike how it disrupts competitions and see that much of it is re-filmed to "add more drama" and competition companies don't like how it portrays their business. There is talk that the show is having to stage fake competitions to meet their deadlines.

Sorry, I can't tell you why you can't watch online. I've only ever seen it on Hulu.

I was also disappointed there was no Show 9 this weekend. My teen informed me that there were no new shows anywhere because they were on a two week hiatus? I don't know HOW she knows this as we don't even have cable, but it seems as good a reason as any.

ETA: I don't think it makes the dancers, competitions, or other parents look bad at all. I think the whole point is that Abby and THIS team are a bit nuts by comparison. If someone will over-generalize and believe ALL dance moms act that way, thats just poor judgement on their part. Most of the people i know who follow it are dance moms themselves. We tease the dance teacher (who watches too) that she needs to start a pyramid. She's so sweet and gentle that the notion is ridiculous. Also, I imagine there will always be competitions that want free publicity or payment. Competitions exist to make money.

Edited by KungFuPanda

The costumes/Dance from the last episode were VERY extreme (the girls were supposed to be burlesque dancers doing a fan dance, and while the costumes weren't actually topless, they were designed to look it), and within 24 hours of the episode first airing, Lifetime had pulled it from every single reputable online site. Apparently it was much more controversial than they'd thought it was going to be. It may end up being a lost episode that's never reshown.

The costumes/Dance from the last episode were VERY extreme (the girls were supposed to be burlesque dancers doing a fan dance, and while the costumes weren't actually topless, they were designed to look it), and within 24 hours of the episode first airing, Lifetime had pulled it from every single reputable online site. Apparently it was much more controversial than they'd thought it was going to be. It may end up being a lost episode that's never reshown.

Darn I figured that ws the deal.

I did read a recap of the show,

I really am more into Biggest loser which is why I miss Dance moms since it is on at the same time and we don't have DVR.

I wondered if the "commercial" also played a part in it.

I didn't watch it but my daughter did.

Apparently the girls were wearing flesh colored leotards and Abby wanted them to appear "naked".

You can't even buy the episode on amazon.com.

oh my oh my

although I really wanted to see the commercial more than the dance controversy

Thanks all.

I have seen some sports parents that are as bad as Kendal's mom. It is hard to watch, also watch as those parents talked poorly of my boys in relation to thier child. It was tough. These parents called and complained to the coaches about my athlete to the point of the coach changed phone numbers.

and it was not our child but the parent perception.

I hate to admit it, but I absolutely love this show (especially Paige and Nia.) I like Chloe too, but I always feel badly for her. I think the other girls handle the pressure better than she does. That poor girl is going to have a breakdown one of these days.

We don't have cable, so I was disappointed that they didn't show episode 9 online. Hey Lifetime, if it's too risque or controversial to post online, you probably shouldn't film it in the first place!

Dance Moms Miami is now filming. We were at the same competition recently. The moms, Lifetime, and the kiddos, were extremely nice. There was some refilming of the dance sequences during scheduled competition breaks. The cameras did not seem to disturb the other competitors. This spinoff should be on Lifetime in April.

It's my hope that one day a child will sue his/her parents for exploitation. I can't believe a parent can sign away a child's rights like that. I'm sure Lifteime has the contracts solid with their lawyers, but I hope civil suits will be filed by kids later.

Edited by LibraryLover

I saw the episode...the costumes were not really all that bad IMO they were flesh colored bikini tops with sequins and shiny white "booty" shorts. They really were not any worse than some of the other costumes they have worn. They did not place in the competition so I don't think the judges liked it very much but Abby is all about pushing the envelope. They really played up the moms reactions to the costumes.

Really I've seen much worse on children at the beach or waterpark.

I saw the episode...the costumes were not really all that bad IMO they were flesh colored bikini tops with sequins and shiny white "booty" shorts. They really were not any worse than some of the other costumes they have worn. They did not place in the competition so I don't think the judges liked it very much but Abby is all about pushing the envelope. They really played up the moms reactions to the costumes.

And I have seen naked babies and topless small children all over European beaches. It's not the same as suggestive Vegas dancing in booty shorts.

And I have seen naked babies and topless small children all over European beaches. It's not the same as suggestive Vegas dancing in booty shorts.

That is true but I think they kind of signed up for that. I was in dance as a child and our costumes and dance styles were pretty much the same especially in Jazz. If the moms were so upset about it why did they allow their girls to do it? If I disliked that much I would have pulled my kid out of the dance.

Disclaimer....I have a house full of boys so I can't really say what I would do if I had a daughter.

I have a love/hate relationship with the show. Which is what reality TV is all about, really. It's real because it reflects the often misplaced priorities of the parents, the passion the kids have for dancing, the immense pressure they feel to perform, and the gestapo-esque dance teacher at the heart of it all. I think Abbey is completely nuts, but as far as teaching dance goes, she obviously gets results, which is what most parents want from any sort of teacher. If she had her own children, I think they would either be equally insane or her hard edges would have softened. A lot of her worst behavior does seem to stem from ignorance about parenting and how normal relationships should work. I have to wonder about her personal background, seeing her reactions sometimes.

I have zero sympathy for the Moms when they whine, because they are the ones ultimately subjecting their children to anything negative that goes on onstage or at the studio. All responsibility for that rests on their shoulders as long as they keep taking their kids to the studio.

I couldn't care less about the costuming. That's par for the course in dance studios (and showbiz) everywhere. You see more kid-skin on the beach. It's not about the skin; it's about the context. I do hate the sexualizing of young children, but when they are just learning moves, most of the "sexualizing" is adult projection; not a reflection of any actual sexualization on the part of the child. Bottom line, I wouldn't want this for my daughters, and that's why they aren't dancers. My youngest took ballet for a short time, but we wouldn't have allowed anything else until she was older. That was our choice, and I realize many parents see nothing wrong with a child learning sensual movement/dance via jazz, hip-hop and other non-classical styles.

I admit that I'm hooked, too. It's a guilty pleasure, although "pleasure" doesn't seem like the right word. More like morbid fascination. I watch what interests me, and right now, this show does--for various reasons. :)

The fandance costumes and choreography were awful, as was the beef jerky costume, but I still didn't find either as offensive as when poor little Nia (the only African-American dancer on the show) was dressed as a prostitute. Her mother expressed some consternation, but still she bought the costume and allowed her daughter to portray LaQueefa.

This has to be completely staged and made- up, because I *cannot*, for the life of me, figure out why someone who appears to be as intelligent and educated as Nia's mom, wouldn't send her child to a real ballet school.

None of it makes sense.

Edited by LibraryLover

It's my hope that one day a child will sue their parents for exploiting them. I can't believe a parent can sign away a child's rights like that. I'm sure Lifteime has the contracts solid with their lawyers, but I hope civil suits will be filed by kids later.

:iagree:

And I'd add in the kids in the nanny shows and wife swapping shows.

I watched an episode. Given the travel requirements (2 round trip tickets to xy or z; hotel rooms; meals etc) and the costume costs as well as the standard studio fees just what do each of these mothers spend per anum on this? 100,000??

This has to be completely staged and made- up, because I *cannot*, for the life of me, figure out why someone who appears to be as intelligent and educated as Nia's mom, wouldn't send her child to a real ballet school.

None of it makes sense.

Nia's mom works as a principal at a wealthy private school. I wonder how much flack she gets from parents of that school? If I taught at that school, it would make me uncomfortable knowing too much of her putting Nia on TV for fame, kwim?

I do hope it is scripted. Nobody can be that nutty in real life. The feud between Abby Lee and Candy Apples is staged. I am beginning to think that Abby chose young dancers for her "team" for hopes that the series gets picked up beyond one year and the girls grow up to compete as teens? (But what will their psyches be like after those years of verbal abuse? Egad.)

Edited by tex-mex

And now is not the time to talk about what a PhD in Education means, right? :confused: I HAVE to think she is stuck in a contract that no lawyer can see around. It makes no sense. The other mothers seem like dolts, but Nia's mom seems to be the one with an actual brain. She will probably kick her own as$ someday.

Nia's mom works as a Elementary School principal at a wealthy private school. I wonder how much flack she gets from parents of that school? If I taught at that school, it would make me uncomfortable knowing too much of her putting Nia on TV for fame, kwim?

I do hope it is scripted. Nobody can be that nutty in real life. The feud between Abby Lee and Candy Apples is staged. I am beginning to think that Abby chose young dancers for her "team" for hopes that the series gets picked up beyond one year and the girls grow up to compete as teens? (But what will their psyches be like after those years of verbal abuse? Egad.)

And now is not the time to talk about what a PhD in Education means, right? :confused: I HAVE to think she is stuck in a contract that no lawyer can see around. It makes no sense. The other mothers seem like dolts, but Nia's mom seems to be the one with an actual brain. She will probably kick her own as$ someday.

Ayup.

I mean, what was she thinking? I saw them on TMZ on video where the girls are dancing for tourists on Hollywood's walk of Fame sidewalk. The moms were there smiling for the cameras. Nia's mom was there. Either a Spring Break vacay or press junket to promote the show? I would think the filming conflicts with her job?

None of it makes sense.

It is completely staged and made up. Cathy and Abby are actually good friends IRL. They were both on the Rosie show and admitted that.

Yet still I watch... :glare:

I wish I could find the interview I was reading with Abby Lee a few weeks ago, but I can't.

In the interview Abby said that she has another older competition team that competes mostly in the local area, but there isn't nearly the drama in that group as there is in this group. For the group on the show, the producers never even watched the girls dance. They only interviewed the moms. Apparently, the girls were not supposed to get much air time at all, and Abby wasn't supposed to be on camera either. It was going to be just the crazy moms.

I watch precious little tv, but I will adnit I am hooked on this show. I always say it is my guilty pleasure, but I think the previous poster that called it "morbid fascination" was more acurate.

This link has a video of the dance they did. As others have mentioned, though, they appear to be nude.

http://hollywoodite.com/dance-moms-burlesque-abby-lee-miller

Edited by Just Beachy

I watched an episode. Given the travel requirements (2 round trip tickets to xy or z; hotel rooms; meals etc) and the costume costs as well as the standard studio fees just what do each of these mothers spend per anum on this? 100,000??

oh man isn't that the truth.

It is completely staged and made up. Cathy and Abby are actually good friends IRL. They were both on the Rosie show and admitted that.

Hail, no. These women are not 'good friends IRL'. They used the word 'friendly' and that was to try to minimize and legtimize the bad they do. There are other interviews here, and Abby frankly states she wanted to kick Cathy off because of their negative issues, but the Lifetime contracts would not allow it. Both of these women are desperately trying to downplay the damage being done to these children. It's pretty sick stuff.

http://www.oprah.com/own-rosie/How-One-Dance-Moms-Bullying-Affects-Her-Daughter-Video

Edited by LibraryLover

They admitted no such thing. Rosie spent a great deal

Of her air time nearly begging them to protect the children from further emotional damage. She even used the word abuse.

Edited by LibraryLover

I read she told the girls to act like men couldn't afford their services. IMO the adults in the room who allowed their daughters to participate should be suspect for child endangerment. Disgusting, if what I read was true. Total exploitation.

My dd dances competitively so we know lots of families that do, too. One of the families we know saw them filming at a competition recently. This mom claims all of it is staged. It is disruptive to the actual competition going on, and people are getting annoyed. All the arguments are fake.

Lifetime was recently looking for new moms and kids for a new dance moms show. It is to be a competition for the best kid dancer. They spent more time worrying about the moms, their reputations, their fights and how much they pressure their kids than they spent looking for good dancers. We said, "No thanks." But, I am curious to see the show when it comes out.

I don't allow my daughter to wear midriff-baring costumes at her age, or participate in suggestive choreography. Our studio uses a lot of 40s and 50s music, so that's a good vibe.

My dd and I watch the show together. I find it gives us the opportunity to discuss reality tv and how it is not really reality. We talk about how if the moms behaved the way the moms on her swim team did no one would watch the show. We talk about how people like to be voyeurs. We talk about editing and how they change things up after the show has been filmed to make situations look worse then they really are.

As for why those moms stick with Abby Lee, I can only imagine that she gets results and I imagine that they never show any of the supportive and/or nice things she says to the girls.

I wish I could find the interview I was reading with Abby Lee a few weeks ago, but I can't.

In the interview Abby said that she has another older competition team that competes mostly in the local area, but there isn't nearly the drama in that group as there is in this group. For the group on the show, the producers never even watched the girls dance. They only interviewed the moms. Apparently, the girls were not supposed to get much air time at all, and Abby wasn't supposed to be on camera either. It was going to be just the crazy moms.

I watch precious little tv, but I will adnit I am hooked on this show. I always say it is my guilty pleasure, but I think the previous poster that called it "morbid fascination" was more acurate.

This link has a video of the dance they did. As others have mentioned, though, they appear to be nude.

http://hollywoodite.com/dance-moms-burlesque-abby-lee-miller

Ewwww, that was just bad. Definitely inappropriate. She pushes the boundaries a lot, so I expect that, but the choreography was just bad. They didn't DO anything. Personally, I see nothing wrong with an exposed midriff. I really think that's a cultural hang-up that's not universal. Also, I don't think it 'sexualizes' the girls . . . as they seem to just be going through a new week's choreography. I'd be more concerned if they pulled it off convincingly. I just think it was plain bad and they lost because it was tacky and pointless and never gonna work outside the body of a showgirl.

I think the show looks very staged, and I often wondered how many 'takes' an argument takes. Some of the moms are better actors than others, but none of them are particularly good at it.

I love that show! We DVR it and watch it before school every Wednesday. Last night's episode was good. It seemed to me that it showed a little more than normal how much Abby cares for the girls and how much they really like Abby.

The fan dance routine wasn't well done by the girls. They often seem to have issues when they have props. The costumes didn't look like they were topless to me. The jewels covered the flesh colored bras. About as appropriate, though, as those hooker costumes they wore in the competition in Lancaster (I think that was in the first season?).

No doubt most of the show is staged. There just can't be THAT much drama among such a small group. The girls seem to get along so well all the time. The moms are just kind of crazy, though I'm sure they are much more normal when it's not all edited. I have a friend who did a reality show recently (Meet the Preppers on Animal Planet) and she was telling me how much was the network's idea and how much was totally staged and not stuff they'd normally do. Also, some things were edited and rearranged and that changed meanings. Some things were said about one thing and put in the show about something totally different. BUT, she said she'd do it again because it was fun and good money!

I will say that my kids did recreational gymnastics for a while and some of the team moms were occasionally as bad as the Dance Moms. Of course that was about a year's worth of comments from three dozen moms shrunk down into one episode of these four moms, but I did hear some of the exact same things.

I don't allow my daughter to wear midriff-baring costumes at her age, or participate in suggestive choreography. Our studio uses a lot of 40s and 50s music, so that's a good vibe.

Would that more parents adopted this stance.

Bravo for maintaining a stance that has little girls look like little girls.

As for why those moms stick with Abby Lee, I can only imagine that she gets results and I imagine that they never show any of the supportive and/or nice things she says to the girls.

I don't know why I watch this show, but last night I actually saw a glimpse of Abby Lee saying nice encouraging things to the girls. She almost sounded sweet. She can't be as bad as the show portrays or those girls would never want to be there. But they claim they love it.

I don't know why I watch this show, but last night I actually saw a glimpse of Abby Lee saying nice encouraging things to the girls. She almost sounded sweet. She can't be as bad as the show portrays or those girls would never want to be there. But they claim they love it.

Perhaps this is a difference between boys and girls. From the male perspective, we cared little how "mean" a coach was and a great deal about if he could help us win!

That show is my guilty pleasure! I read an article that it's partly true, partly staged. This isn't one of Abby's "regular" dance teams -- it's a different team that competes off-season and at different competitions from her regular teams. All the moms auditioned to be on the show. The competitions themselves are real, as are the results. Chloe and Nia are my favorites.

Oh, and the fan dance episode wasn't nearly as controversial as they made it out to be. The tops were nude bras, but they had rhinestones all over them so there was no question whether or not they were clothed. The dance itself? WAY too mature and suggestive for children.

Inappropriate costumes, inappropriate choreography, *way* inappropriate when combined. I do. not. understand. why moms would let their dd's compete looking like that. It would. not. fly. at my dd's studio.

I've been to quite a few dance competitions, and while here and there you'll find a kid with a bare belly or some inappropriate moves, it's less and less common and the judges do NOT reward it. In fact, my dd's group got a judge's award at our last competition specifically praising the age-appropriate song, the age-appropriate costumes, and the age-appropriate moves.

That show is my guilty pleasure! I read an article that it's partly true, partly staged. This isn't one of Abby's "regular" dance teams -- it's a different team that competes off-season and at different competitions from her regular teams. All the moms auditioned to be on the show. The competitions themselves are real, as are the results. Chloe and Nia are my favorites.

Oh, and the fan dance episode wasn't nearly as controversial as they made it out to be. The tops were nude bras, but they had rhinestones all over them so there was no question whether or not they were clothed. The dance itself? WAY too mature and suggestive for children.

I saw the clip the judges losing it was bad

Hail, no. These women are not 'good friends IRL'. They used the word 'friendly' and that was to try to minimize and legtimize the bad they do. There are other interviews here, and Abby frankly states she wanted to kick Cathy off because of their negative issues, but the Lifetime contracts would not allow it. Both of these women are desperately trying to downplay the damage being done to these children. It's pretty sick stuff.

http://www.oprah.com/own-rosie/How-One-Dance-Moms-Bullying-Affects-Her-Daughter-Video

They admitted no such thing. Rosie spent a great deal

Of her air time nearly begging them to protect the children from further emotional damage. She even used the word abuse.

Well of course NOW the videos aren't showing up. I do remember Rosie asking them to tone it down for the sake of the girls.

In any event, I thought their showgirls performance was all kinds of inappropriate and I would have taken my daughter and run at the first sign of "nude coshtumes." (caught that tag, LOL!)