Menu

In need of phonics/reading advice please!

Laura Cook

My ds6 is on lesson 110 in OPGTR. He is getting confused and frustrated with all of the vowel pairs and is beginning to grumble about having reading lessons. We are currently working through the Frog and Toad books to give you an idea of about what level he is at. Any suggestions for how to get through this? We are using AAS (which he loves!), maybe we should just move on from OPGTR and use that instead? I remember reading somewhere that some use it to teach reading as well as spelling. Or should we just lay off OPGTR for a while and read books for awhile instead? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Well, you need to get in your 100 to 1000 repetitions somehow!

I made this chart for one of my students who needed a lot of repetion, and my son is getting good use out of it, too. He said, "It's a good chart for boys, isn't it."

It is the 3rd page, then you wean them down to black and white. The key is shown on another page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/PL26VowelChart.pdf

You can also mix it up with games with magnetic letters and some spelling on the white board.

Well, you need to get in your 100 to 1000 repetitions somehow!

I made this chart for one of my students who needed a lot of repetion, and my son is getting good use out of it, too. He said, "It's a good chart for boys, isn't it."

It is the 3rd page, then you wean them down to black and white. The key is shown on another page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/PL26VowelChart.pdf

You can also mix it up with games with magnetic letters and some spelling on the white board.

Thank you for responding! Okay, I am going to sound completely ignorant, but how do I use this? :001_smile:

Thank you for responding! Okay, I am going to sound completely ignorant, but how do I use this? :001_smile:

First, I explain the colors and teach the sounds, teaching all the green sounds, then red, etc. (Reviewing for the 100th time, actually...) Ou is red to remind a student who needed 1,000 repetions to learn ou, "ou ouch blood."

When I work through lists of words or decidable stories my students are reading, if they forget a 2 letter vowel team, I point at the chart and help them find the letter. Eventually, they find things on their own. Eventually, they just keep the chart next to them and look up things when they need to. Eventually, they start to learn the sounds from looking them up. They actually learn the sounds quicker when they look them up on the chart than if you just tell them the sound when they get stuck.

I also like to work on spelling in pairs: ai/ay, oi/oy, ei/ey: changes from I to Y at the end because native English words do not end in I. I give a few examples of each and then have the student spell a word or two of each type.

When my ds got that way we slowed down and practiced, practiced, practiced. Still do. Sometimes it's a lesson in the book, other times it's spelling with tiles or on the whiteboard, other times we read (working specifically on any difficult sound/spelling from various readers). We also play a variety of games (Bingos, file folder games, etc). When I feel he has it pretty well cemented we move on, but I keep going back and practicing the other (even if it's just a few words or the sound).

First, I explain the colors and teach the sounds, teaching all the green sounds, then red, etc. (Reviewing for the 100th time, actually...) Ou is red to remind a student who needed 1,000 repetions to learn ou, "ou ouch blood."

When I work through lists of words or decidable stories my students are reading, if they forget a 2 letter vowel team, I point at the chart and help them find the letter. Eventually, they find things on their own. Eventually, they just keep the chart next to them and look up things when they need to. Eventually, they start to learn the sounds from looking them up. They actually learn the sounds quicker when they look them up on the chart than if you just tell them the sound when they get stuck.

Thank you, I understand now! I think this will help him alot.

The I See Sam books provide a LOT of practice with each new sound/word and have fun stories that kids love. www.3rsplus.com or www.iseesam.com

Also the little books aren't as intimidating.

I have a few of the free ones printed, I had forgotten about them. I will have to set them out for him to read again.

When my ds got that way we slowed down and practiced, practiced, practiced. Still do. Sometimes it's a lesson in the book, other times it's spelling with tiles or on the whiteboard, other times we read (working specifically on any difficult sound/spelling from various readers). We also play a variety of games (Bingos, file folder games, etc). When I feel he has it pretty well cemented we move on, but I keep going back and practicing the other (even if it's just a few words or the sound).

Thank you for the ideas! I think he would love to play some games to learn these. Now it is time to practice, practice!