Menu

Where would you go after AoPS Pre-Alg?

hsmom27

I finished SM PM with my 9yo and then switched to AoPS Pre-Alg because he was bored to tears with SM. We also completed LOF Fractions/Decimals Books and Zaccaro's CM before starting AoPS. I was content to take the AoPS slowly because of DS' age. However, at this point he's flying through the book/Alcumus/videos at the rate of a chapter every week, maybe two.

DS is LOVING AoPS; I can't stress that enough. But I'm concerned that their Algebra will be a huge step up and I don't want him to get too frustrated. He's really not having to work nearly as hard as I thought he would. He's only had trouble with just a couple of the challenging problems at the end of the chapters. Even these he figured out, he just used a different method than the authors.

I was thinking about working through Dolciani or Lial's pre-algebras after AoPS. But now I'm pretty sure that would result in boredom and tears. So I guess, would you do another pre-algebra after we're done AoPS? What else could I do as a bridge year? Or would you start a different algebra program and then work through AoPS Intro to Alg? And if you read all this, thanks!

Edited by littlewigglebutts

If I were in your shoes, after AoPS Prealgebra, I would just start Intro to Algebra, slowly, and see how it goes. Then, depending on timing, I might do one of the other AoPS books (NT or C&P) before moving on to AoPS Geometry.

Alternatively, you could choose another algebra (Foerster or Dolciani?) to do first, but choosing another prealgebra after AoPS Prealgebra would be boring, IMO, unless there was some particular skill that you wanted him to brush up on.

From another thread, it sounds like starting AoPS Intro to Alg after AoPS Prealgebra will not be as big a jump as coming from a more typical prealgebra:

If your child is able to work successfully in the pre-algebra book, imo, they will also thrive in the AoPS Introduction to Algebra. Whether that child is able to handle the pace of the online Algebra I class may be an issue, but not the actual course material.

You might try Singapore DM1? I've worked through it with an older dd, and now am doing AoPS Pre-Alg with a younger, and I also own AoPS Alg and have looked through it (but have not worked through it with anyone).

Anyhow, DM is the only math I've seen that comes close to AoPS in problem-solving (especially the optional workbook - some real brain-crunchers in there). I'd say it's beyond AoPS Pre-Alg but doesn't go as far as AoPS Algebra, so it might be a good intermediary step if you're looking for one. If you used the workbook, I don't think it would be too boring. :)

ETA: While I was writing this I saw someone else mention Foersters - my dd who used DM1 last year is using Foersters this year. She likes it but it is a walk in the park after DM1 (even though the topics go beyond DM1, the level of problem-solving is much easier). The DM1 workbooks also has the student use every bit of math they've learned so far in the problems - the Foersters seems much more of one topic at a time and a bunch of the same kind.

Edited by matroyshka

I'd do AoPS Intro to Algebra and take it slowly.

My kids did only a quick Saxon prealgebra and were fine with AoPS algebra. DS started in 6th grade and is taking two years to finish the book.

DD worked through the whole book in 7th grade.

Another prealgebra after AoPS seems like a very bad idea to me; that would be a recipe for boredom.

I'd do AoPS Intro to Algebra and take it slowly.

My kids did only a quick Saxon prealgebra and were fine with AoPS algebra. DS started in 6th grade and is taking two years to finish the book.

DD worked through the whole book in 7th grade.

Another prealgebra after AoPS seems like a very bad idea to me; that would be a recipe for boredom.

I don't know that DM would necessarily be boring, even after AoPS Pre-Alg, if you focused on the workbook problems.

For my youngest, I am planning to go right in to AoPS Alg I after Pre-Alg, but she'll be the same age as yours were - 6th grade. The OP's ds is only 9yo (4th?) which is why she asked the question.

If pre-alg is going that well, I wouldn't hesitate to move into AoPS algebra at all. And if he hits something hard that slows you down, I would consider that a victory. :D

My 5th grader is using AoPS algebra. We're probably going to be in this book for 2 years (although, it is really alg 1 and alg 2 material). We're moving slow. It's challenging, plus we only do math 3-5 hours a week and don't have the time to do more right now (nor is he clamoring to get through it like some kids might).

I'd also move onto AoPS Algebra. If this gets too hard you want to slow it down you could do AoPS Number Theory or Counting and Probability alongside it.

My son started algebra, but as we wanted to take it more slowly he also started the other Introduction level books. He does about a chapter a week from one of the four books and we just tend to spiral them or do whatever hits our fancy next.

I'm also doing AoPS pre-algebra with my nine year old. I wouldn't say she is flying through it (depends on the chapter), but she has definitely gotten the hang of how it works. We just finished up chapter 12, but we spend a LOT of time on math. I really can't say enough good things about this curriculum. My child is a different math person than she was six months ago.

Anyway, back to the actual question. My plan is to go on to Algebra after this. My thinking is that we will do the first 12 chapters, which I think corresponds to Algebra 1, then the number theory and counting books, and then back to algebra. I am basing this on the AoPS website, which lists their courses in order of difficulty.

We did try the algebra book before the pre-algebra. It was too hard then, but mostly because the approach was so unfamiliar. I think it will be fine after we finish this book. We will just go at the pace that works.

Hope that helps. I'm happy to do more raving about AoPS and the prealgebra book if anyone cares to listen :D

Edited by Diviya