Menu

My oven door shattered

DS13 was in the kitchen preparing egg salad for sandwiches. He went to set the mayo spoon down and the whole oven door shattered. NOthing touched it. It had not been turned on since last week. It was so scary. I will be contacting the company tomorrow, but I am worried they will not do anything. There was a thing on the news like a month ago ro 2 about this exact thing happening and teh company refusing to accept responsibility for what is clearly a defect. The rubber seal/stop thing along the top was all twisted and brown like it had been heated and melted. Of course it has to happen with a company that sucks and I am already down $750 income, there is no way I can afford to replace it anytime soon.

Check out my oven now. Ignore the mayo on the cupboard wiping that off before documenting was the least of my worries. I didn't even think about taking photos until I started sweeping, so you can't see how far it spread. The glass was popping and jumping all over the place on the floor, it was so weird. The last picture shows the rubber strip that is now bent.

Oh my word! I'm so glad no one was hurt with all that flying glass.

No kidding. We had no bread left so the rest of the kids and I were taking the pup and walking up the street to the grocery store for a loaf of bread so my 3 youngers were outside with the pup already. The 2 yr old was away today. Ds got glass all over his shoes but luckily no injuries. The only cuts were the ones I got during clean up and they were minor.

Thank heavens no one was hurt.

You know, about 18 months ago, dh and I were awakened by a loud noise from the kitchen, but the security system didn't sound, so we figured something had fallen down on the counter or something. When I walked into the kitchen in the morning, I was stunned to see that the little glass door on our toaster oven had shattered -- just the way your big oven door had. We also had not used the toaster oven in about a week - and clearly, apropos of nothing, the thing blew out all over the place.

I hope you are able to get this taken care of with no stress to you!:grouphug:

No kidding. We had no bread left so the rest of the kids and I were taking the pup and walking up the street to the grocery store for a loaf of bread so my 3 youngers were outside with the pup already. The 2 yr old was away today. Ds got glass all over his shoes but luckily no injuries. The only cuts were the ones I got during clean up and they were minor.

What kind of pup did you end up getting?

That happened to a friend of mine a few months ago! Scary!

BTW, as you know, whenever glass breaks, there are always tiny little shards that you don't find until they get embedded in little bare feet. The secret is to take a slice (or 5 or 6, depending on how large of an area you do) and pat the floor all over. You'll be surprised at how much glass you pick up, even after sweeping, this way.