Menu

HOD-Is it really as great as it looks??

parias1126

I have been researching HOD for my kiddos and I really need to make a decision. A sample of just one week isnt enough for me to do so. I was going to drive 2 hours to the convention this upcoming weekend to check it out, but there is nothing else I really need to go for. I could just order the Bigger guide by the time I spend the $$$ on gas! :lol:

Anyway, is it really as amazing as I have read and seen? The only thing hat may hold me back is sometimes I want to finish school in 4 days and it's set up for 5. I know that's silly, but I'm also a stickler for making sure everything is done for the week or I lose sleep! :001_huh:

I'm thinking of starting out with Bigger for my 8 and 9 year old. I literally dream about a curriculum set up the way HOD is set up. I'm a organizer and a box checker with everything else, but I hate to plan school. My only planning consists of the big filing box from a tread a couple years ago.

We are just finishing up with Bigger and there have been several weeks that we have done it is 4 instead of 5 days. When we do that I will add a second days work of different subjects throughout the week (i.e. 2 days of math on Monday, 2 days of English on Tuesday, 2 days of handwriting on Wednesday,...you get the point:). Thursday and Friday's science and history assignments are the easiest to combine into one day's work. It has worked well for us, but we are moving into MFW next year because I want to be able to combine my children with as much teaching as possible, and the Preparing guide won't work as well for that as the younger guides did:( I, like you, am a box-checker, and MFW offers that too. Hope that helps you!

We are using Preparing this year and I have been very pleased with the program..although it looks like I will be finishing it up going into the next school year:tongue_smilie:but that's my fault. From what you've listed I think you will enjoy it. My kids are close in age as yours and the only thing they do different is math and I have ds11 do more reading. And I have decided to use an outside spelling program but my kiddos spelling is horrid:001_huh: to say the least.

I have used Little Hearts, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, and the new guide Rev2Rev over the last couple of years. (I came from a more classical and then textbook philosophies trying to find what I really wanted.) I fought hard to not want to try HOD :lol: but relented and dove in. I couldn't be more pleased. It has been a fantastic two years and I wish my oldest could have done the earlier guides. As for Bigger, that is the next guide I am doing so I can't speak of that specifically, but I have friends doing it and I love what I am seeing from their kids' work. So yes, it is as good as it looks.

Oh, and about the 4 day thing, the older guides (Preparing and up) are 4 days, but Beyond is 5. I just look at day 5 and sprinkle those activities throughout the week so all of my kids are just doing 4 days and that has worked well.

We love HOD! We did Little Hearts last year, Beyond this year, and my Bigger box just came today. :D It has blessed me in some many ways- no more planning!!, Bible teaching throughout, can use my own math and phonics. My ds loves it too. He loves the history, storytime, projects and that his day is joyful.

We are using LHFHG, which is a five day programme, and Preparing which is a 4 day programme. I am getting my son to do 11 or 12 boxes a day in LHFHG to make it a four day week. I just write in a book at the beginning of the week what he is doing on each day and I just mark it off. It is working very well.

Thank you for all your replies. It sounds like I would be doing pretty much what I'm doing now to try and fit everything into a 4 day week when I decided I want a day off. It looks like I'll be looking further into HOD. My only dilemma now is to decide whether or not to travel 2.5 hours to a homeschool convention to look before buying or just spend the $75 or so and order it just to check it out further.

We are in our third year of HoD and love it. It is very complete. I would recommend going to the convention to look at it in person. Not only would you be able to see all the guides (and see older levels and how they progress), but they also have ALL the books and programs that they use on display as well. Another thing they have is a photobook of each level with pics of children doing the various projects and assignments. Another big bonus to going is the opportunity to speak to the HoD author, who usually "mans" the HoD booth with her sister, the editor. Also, if you purchase there you may save on shipping.

We love it. I love the philosophy, content, skills, setup, everything. Some things bugged me at first but now I see the reason. I am sold on it, and I won't let myself look at other full curricula to avoid "grass is greener" syndrome.

That said, I do my own thing for math and phonics/writing/spelling/LA. We're using SWR for the long haul and RightStart at this point for math.

Thank you for all your replies. It sounds like I would be doing pretty much what I'm doing now to try and fit everything into a 4 day week when I decided I want a day off. It looks like I'll be looking further into HOD. My only dilemma now is to decide whether or not to travel 2.5 hours to a homeschool convention to look before buying or just spend the $75 or so and order it just to check it out further.

I would go to the convention only if you want to go for other things--seminars, other curriculum, etc. If not, just order it. I think there's a pretty good return policy.

I have homeschooled for 11 years but this is our first year with HOD. We are using Preparing. It has been wonderful. My boys love all the projects, which are easy for me to do. They also love the book choices. I finally have found a curriculum that combines many elements that I loved about Sonlight and Winter Promise. I am using CLE for English rather than R&S and it has worked just fine.

If you are short on time just order it instead of going to a convention for one thing.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

We are in our third year of HoD and love it. It is very complete. I would recommend going to the convention to look at it in person. Not only would you be able to see all the guides (and see older levels and how they progress), but they also have ALL the books and programs that they use on display as well. Another thing they have is a photobook of each level with pics of children doing the various projects and assignments. Another big bonus to going is the opportunity to speak to the HoD author, who usually "mans" the HoD booth with her sister, the editor. Also, if you purchase there you may save on shipping.

I'm not sure I'd spend the money to go to convention just for this.

For Bigger, the 2 main history books can be found free on Google books I believe, if you are wanting a look at them.

As for the photobooks, you can view them online from the main page or go to the week in review section of the message boards and get a bigger sampling of projects.

We did enjoy our year with Bigger. Even my 5 year old DS learned a lot that year just by playing nearby!

I would order it so I could flip through it leisurely at home. Conventions can be such madhouses. Of course, I haven't gone to convention for several years now. Ours charges $80 to get in, even to just look at the vendor hall. I figure that I can order several things to glance through and ship them back if I don't like them before I reach that $80 mark. Plus, one year I could barely get into the Rainbow Resource booth, let alone browse through anything. YMMV

Jennifer