Menu

Need Lower Carb/Type 2 family friendly meals

Hm... Recent meals at our house include...

Lamb tips, marinated in herbs (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, a little salt, etc). Throw in a hot skillet on high for a minute or so, turn the pieces and leave for another minute, then turn the heat down to medium and stir them around for about another 4 minutes. Remove and set aside with a piece of foil or lid over. Throw red onions (sliced) into the skillet and cook for a few minutes, until they start to become translucent. Throw in broccoli florets and, after a few minutes, some water or stock. When the broccoli is almost ready, toss in pieces of yellow bell pepper and tomato, if you like. Stir it all in together until hot. Put the pieces of meat back on top of the veggies and take to the table to serve. It's pretty, colorful, and delicious. (Carb eaters in the family can add brown rice.)

Roast chicken. Tonight we're having a simple roast chicken, brussels sprouts hash, and mashed cauliflower. For the brussels sprouts: shred brussels sprouts in the food processor. Cut a few pieces of good quality pastured bacon into a skillet and cook until crispy brown. Toss in the shredded brussels sprouts. When the sprouts are nearly finished, toss in a little chopped up apple or a crispy pear and stir 'til hot but not to cook the fruit. Squeeze a lemon over the whole thing and add salt and pepper to taste.

Salmon patties, sautéed spinach, sweet potatoes. Mash wild-caught canned salmon with a fork to make sure the bones are crushed and skin incorporated. Add beaten eggs, coconut flour (very little -- about 1-2t per egg), flaxmeal if you like, and seasonings (herbs, garlic). Form patties and pan fry in a little olive oil. For the sweet potatoes, you can do oven fries or bake them. Serve with a little butter or coconut oil to slow down the carb absorption.

Chicken soup. We'll have that made from the bones and leftover meat from tonight's chicken. No noodles or rice, just chicken and lots of veggies. ... Egg drop soup is a great, quick and simple low-carb use for leftover good quality chicken stock. Just heat the stock to boiling, add a little soy sauce (I prefer organic wheat free tamari -- San-J brand is available many places), a drizzle of sesame oil, and some ginger powder. Let that cook away while you beat some eggs (you can use whole eggs or a mix of whole and whites). When the stock is boiling, stir it in one direction to make a sort of whirlpool. The pour the eggs in in a steady stream. It's like magic. :)

Another thing I do with the leftover chicken is to make chicken salad. I make homemade mayo with olive oil (or I throw in an avocado at the very beginning of the process and use less oil total). This uses a couple of egg yolks, so I usually use the leftover whites in the egg drop soup above. Use the homemade mayo to make chicken salad.Eat with a fork, or serve in lettuce wraps, hollowed out tomatoes or bell peppers...

Speaking of dinner, time for me to get ours to the table.

I am looking for menus of what you eat if you eat lower carb/Type 2 diabetes friendly. Family friendly meals would be great so that I am not making 2 different things.

Soups can be really good for this--I just made a yummy black bean soup with bacon, onions, and garlic.

We eat a low carb, low fat diet. I make a soup with almost every meal.

When I'm craving pasta we eat Dreamfield Pastas. It tastes like regular pasta but has only 5 carbs per serving.

Dreamfields also contains a special fiber called Inulin, that has been shown scientifically to promote digestive health and support a healthy immune system, while enhancing calcium absorption for strong bones and teeth. It's also 65% lower glycemic index than regular pasta.
Here are some of my favorite low carb cookbooks:

Saving Dinner The Low Carb Way - This one is my favorite

1,000 Diabetic Recipes - My 2nd favorite

Eat What You Love

The Biggest Book of Diabetic Recipes

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic and I've just switched over to a low carb/high fat diet. I'm the only one in the family doing this right now, although they pretty much eat what I make. Sometimes I do end up making a second item for them that I don't eat.

Example: I made pasta with pesto and chicken. I had spaghetti squash as my pasta and made enough for the family to taste. But, I also made regular pasta for them.

Our dinners usually consist of some kind of protein and a low carb vegetable and/or salad. I've been using a lot of cauliflower as a mashed potato or rice substitute. I'm loving it and my family thinks it's pretty OK, too.

Another example is the other night I made a chili that I could eat. I took out my portion and then added a can of drained rinsed beans, a can of diced tomatoes, and then corrected the spices to their portion.

There are a couple of really great online sites where I'm finding some good recipes.

Meat of your choice (steak or chicken) grilled. Roasted vegetables; broccoli, cauliflower, onions, bell peppers, zuchinni, yellow squash, carrots sliced thin, and I like to throw in some garlic. Toss w/ some olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs of your choice, and roast in oven at 425 for about 20-25 min. until done. My kids like the edges to just start to brown.

Grilled chicken on a bed of mixed greens, toss in some cucumber and other fresh veggies, and some shredded cheese.