Menu

Chronological art and music appreciation

Staceyshoe

Next year we'll be starting with Ancients and studying history chronologically. (I'm leaning toward using Biblioplan for this but am not 100% sure.) Is there any art appreciation or music appreciation curriculum that is open-and-go and chronological? I really love the look of Using Child-Size Masterpieces, but it doesn't appear to be chronological.

Stacey, I just went through the same thing. What I ended up doing was during SOTW chapters, I'd just switch over to you tube and pull relevant pieces that matched the geographical area. Just a short exposure. Nothing deep.

I found that musical appreciation / art appreciation you really have to line them up yourself with the subject in more contemporary times.

If you are going to do master painters for example, and want to line up music that goes with it, it's pretty much footwork on your part.

Someone else might come along and find a better system, but that's the best I found for myself.

Next year we'll be starting with Ancients and studying history chronologically. (I'm leaning toward using Biblioplan for this but am not 100% sure.) Is there any art appreciation or music appreciation curriculum that is open-and-go and chronological? I really love the look of Using Child-Size Masterpieces, but it doesn't appear to be chronological.

Open and go for these subjects is a challenge, but here is what we are using that is chronological.

For music, I am drawing from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History. Terrible title, excellent book. :D

For art, I'm using A Child's History of Art, Art in Story, and will add the Picture Study Portfolios from Simply Charlotte Mason starting next year.

Thank you! I'm still undecided, but it's nice to know there are options. I'm leaning toward either Harmony Fine Arts (simple and all-inclusive are a definite plus) or a combination of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History with Classical Kids and some of the resources at Practical Pages. Decisions, decisions!:tongue_smilie: