Menu

Official Beast Academy guinea pigs thread!

Rivka

Would anyone think less of me if they knew I went driving around the neighborhood in a vain attempt to find the postman? :D

Bill

I'm not really sure that would shock any of us, to be honest... :D I'm surprised more people haven't already done that.

The real question is... how long will you wait before round two of your search?? ;)

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Beast Academy's fb page:

Thank you to everyone who made this one of the most successful book launches AoPS has ever had! For those of you who ordered on the BeastAcademy.com site, there has been a delay in sending out the shipping confirmation emails. If you chose Priority shipping, then the books went out yesterday. Some Economy packages went out yesterday as well, and the rest should go out today. You should all receive shipping details with tracking numbers today, even though some of the packages already went out.

I wonder how they became aware that people who ordered off the BA site didn't get shipping confirmations? ;) :D

Bill

I've got it!!!

:party:

Did I stalk the postman? You bet I did!

Is that "cheating?!" Do I care? :D

Bill

Ahem. Pics please.

:drool: All I know is mine departed San Diego :(

You have half hour. We are dying for a review!

The first glance it looks just great!

Very nice quality books, the art is great.

I should correct some mistaken information I have been repeating about there being 900 pages of practice problems per year. It looks like the Practice books for 3A and 3B (half-a-year) have about 100 pages of problems each, plus about 25 pages of detailed solutions each.

So it will be about 400 pages of Practice problems and 100 pages of solutions per level per year (assuming C and D are similar).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

So it will be about 400 pages of Practice problems and 100 pages of solutions per level per year (assuming C and D are similar).

Bill

I think that's more than enough! What about difficulty? I wonder what % of problems are challenge? Any procedural practice?

I know, I know. I just have to wait till tomorrow hopefully to get answers, but I CAN'T WAIT. :D

I think that's more than enough! What about difficulty? I wonder what % of problems are challenge? Any procedural practice?

I know, I know. I just have to wait till tomorrow hopefully to get answers, but I CAN'T WAIT. :D

Looking at 3B multiplication. Intriguing sorts of math fact practice. Various "wheels," mazes, cross-word puzzles, block mountains, Combobots, and even some multiplication tables. It almost all has a "twist," but there definitely practice.

Bill

Looking at 3B multiplication. Intriguing sorts of math fact practice. Various "wheels," mazes, cross-word puzzles, block mountains, Combobots, and even some multiplication tables. It almost all has a "twist," but there definitely practice.

Bill

Wow! Why can't I be 7 year old! My boys will go insane!

Wow! Why can't I be 7 year old! My boys will go insane!

I think my son will love this. In some ways he is "ahead" of what I'm seeing in BA procedurally (in that he is doing the standard algotiths of multiplication and long division in Primary Mathematics 3. But this will work his noodle in another way. I do not expect complains :D

Bill

SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous of those of you who got them already!!! Even though we were lucky number #17 to order, mine will still be at least another day or two since we are on the other side of the US! :( Even with priority :lol: HOPING that my tracking updates to show it in Greensboro tonight, which means they will for sure be here either tomorrow or Friday :D

Bill

so does the multiplication in this level assume the child already has some multiplication experience? My boys are just beginning multiplication and would not be considered fluent in multiplication yet. Would this section teach multiplication from ground level?

so does the multiplication in this level assume the child already has some multiplication experience? My boys are just beginning multiplication and would not be considered fluent in multiplication yet. Would this section teach multiplication from ground level?

It look like it starts from ground level, and uses "geometry" to set up multiplication. Addition skills are assumed.

Bill

They actually used serial addition for the area chapter because multiplication hadn't been taught yet. Your kids should be fine. :)

I can't believe I am saying this but . . . we are in!

Shannon is 9, in 4th grade, and is halfway through MM 4. She's been hsing since November. I originally thought that BA would be all review for her, but I realize when I looked more closely that 3A is a lot of geometry, and her geometry background from ps stinks, and we haven't done Geometry in MM yet . . . so I totally talked myself into it!! I want to use AoPs prealgebra with her when the time comes, and I've been wanting to order it for myself for awhile now anyway, so I totally justified it when somebody said you can order them together and get free shipping. I am a sucker for free shpping. And I can use it with dd 5 when she's ready . . . .

And now I am just TALKING CRAZY trying to convince myself that adding another math could possibly be a good idea!!!!

This will be fun, though! :D

I did the same thing only I didn't want to do it only for DD and not DS b/c he is the one who would dig it. Now I'm realizing (after doing MM3 geometry and not really excelling in it) that this will be good for both kids.

Add another to the guinea pig list. We're order #117, and it's approximately 54.7 miles away from us tonight. Sweetie is about 2/3 of the way through 3rd grade, but we'll be using BA alongside LOF and Khan. We've been using MEP, and I'm on the fence about making a complete switch to BA. I wish they would be able to release the next books sooner, so I wouldn't feel like she was behind, but the sample chapter was soooo good...

Having watched dd do the sample chapter, my plan is to make her stop at the stop signs. That was actually one part of my feedback to them, because Sweetie read the whole chapter at once and then didn't want to do the practice. Just like with Fred, you can't move forward in the story until you've done the work... it'll drive her nuts! But it's major motivation for her.

:)

We were out of the house almost all day. We had a meeting this morning then we played at the park with our friends. I made my friend come to the park right by my house so I could make a couple trips to the mailbox.:D When I went to the mailbox at 12:15, my package was there. My friend was happy because she wanted to see this BA that I've been blabbering about.;)

Then we had to go to ballet, eat dinner, and we finally were able to read the first section of Chapter 1 (3A). DD wanted to try some problems in the practice book but I told her she had to wait until tomorrow (she's asleep already (8:05 here). We are morning people and we'll be doing school by 7am.

I still haven't received confirmation of shipping. :toetap05: Has anyone else who ordered through the BA site itself? I know people have gotten confirmations if they ordered through the AoPS site.

I did. They announced on the FB page that the shipping notifications were delayed but all the priority packages and many of the others have already been shipped.

ETA: I am responding to something on page 8 and I just noticed that we are already on page 13!!!! All this for a 3rd grade math curriculum. What a bunch of geeks. So when are the T shirts coming out?

Edited by onaclairadeluna

I did. They announced on the FB page that the shipping notifications were delayed but all the priority packages and many of the others have already been shipped.

ETA: I am responding to something on page 8 and I just noticed that we are already on page 13!!!! All this for a 3rd grade math curriculum. What a bunch of geeks. So when are the T shirts coming out?

There are gonna be T-shirts??!!!! :D

Bill

Got ours!!! In Florida (with extra $5 for shipping)

The plan for today is flying out of the window....it will be math for the rest of the day!

These books look amazing. The Practice book is perforated. My DS (8) 4B finished in Singapore, will have lots of brain stimulation here!!! His brain is steaming to solve some of those angle puzzles..but with excitement!

He loves the pencil mark, which shows him where to write down his answers.

Got ours!!! In Florida (with extra $5 for shipping)

The plan for today is flying out of the window....it will be math for the rest of the day!

These books look amazing. The Practice book is perforated. My DS (8) 4B finished in Singapore, will have lots of brain stimulation here!!! His brain is steaming to solve some of those angle puzzles..but with excitement!

He loves the pencil mark, which shows him where to write down his answers.

Yo got yours in Florida and I haven't gotten mine in CA. Now I am :angry:

Got mine!! My 11 YO is sitting on the sofa reading 3B now, and the 6 year old is saying 'Read it to me, read it to meeeeee!!!!' :-)

ETA: oh, and for those of you who were worried that your kids who don't read comics would have a hard time, there's a two-page spread at the beginning of the texts that explains basic comic conventions and tells how to use the books.

Edited by Deniseibase

Ours arrived today! It was very similar to Steve Martin's "The phone book is here" Dd is super excited that Fiona, her favorite character, is the math coach. She breezed through chapter 1 and only stopped because we have open gym today. Peace reigned down upon the land and it was good :D

The little man had so much fun with the Guide last night, and then post-bath grabbed the Practice Book and in an uncommon show of independence got a ruler (so he could "join dots to make angles" neatly) and moved to do his work on the floor just out of my eye range, while saying something like, "if these are my books I've got to be able to do it myself." I was thrilled!

He then worked happily until he passed out.

In between we played the triangle game featured in "Recess." He got trounced :D

Bill (who still takes pleasure in beating a 7 year old at math games, and takes no prisoners :tongue_smilie:)

Mine was at our local post office this morning, but our mail isn't delivered until the afternoon. Ds7 said he couldn't wait to start. I reminded him that we need to finish Saxon 3 + other stuff first. He said he wanted to do 3 Saxon lessons today.:blink: This kid has taken three hours to do one lesson before. He is going out to play now. We'll see how much more he wants to do this afternoon after doing 1 1/2 lessons this morning.

Bill (who still takes pleasure in beating a 7 year old at math games, and takes no prisoners :tongue_smilie:)

Enjoy it while it lasts, and rehearse being a good loser in the meantime.

YAY!! I just checked my tracking number and our order is out for delivery, it will be here this afternoon. We don't get our mail until late in the day. I've always thought of lodging a complaint about that, now I have justification, LOL!! :D

So happy, I was very afraid it wouldn't make it until next week!!!

They should have a "norad santa tracker" page for our BA books. "Your math beast is flying across the rocky mountains on its way spreading mathematical joy to the children of this region."

I am having economy shippers remorse right now

But you know there are printables on the BA website.

http://beastacademy.com/resources/printables.php

Beast Academy is on sale NOW at http://www.beastacademy.com !

Can we have a roll call of people who are going to start using the curriculum right away? Since we will be among the very first users, I thought it would be nice to have a central thread to share our excitement and discuss planning, approaches, and potential problems.

:seeya: I'm Rivka, and my daughter Alex will be starting BA the minute we can rip it from the mail carrier's hands. She'll be 7 next month. Until now, we've been doing MEP along with occasional bits and pieces of Miquon and Singapore CWP.

Who else is planning to be guinea pigs with us?

NOT happy that I wanted it so much that I ordered it :) My son is older than a lot of you doing it, and we're doing 4A in Singapore, but I think he'll like it anyway. (Hopefully) Otherwise, I'll sell it :) You guys have been talking it up, so I hope we love it :)

Can anyone who has it in hand talk to me about the teacher notes? Are they pretty substantial like the solutions to the pre-tests?

Because while I think ds will love it, I'm not sure I can teach it well. :blushing: He has already asked several questions about the assessment that I don't feel like I answered adequately.