Menu

Official Beast Academy guinea pigs thread!

Rivka

We will be ordering as soon as I decide if I need the practice books. I am planning to use this in addition to MM and Miquon as a supplement to Saxon and am not sure I need the extra written practice.

Ugh. Decisions, decisions.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, ordered. I went ahead and purchased it all. And I paid the extra 4 dollars to have it in my hands by this time next week. (shhhh, we're not telling DH that part! :tongue_smilie: )

Edited by BLA5
lack of caffination :)

It's $54 for me, to Europe. And then there will probably be customs taxes.

Why can't they sell through Amazon?? Cheap(er) shipping, no taxes....

This is painful.

That's the shipping price I get too. Would LOVE if it was available somewhere else. I'm looking at a mail forwarding company to see if I can work around it cheaper.

We are joining in as well.

My name is Emily. My DS8 is finishing up Singapore 4B, however we will backtrack and do some problem solving the Beast Way. He is super excited, and I figured that it can not hurt (except the family finances :-). I am impressed with all the samples. We will be starting right away (extra $4 for shipping as well). Order number 23!

I didn't show DD7 the samples until yesterday evening, and she got really excited about them, and said "YES, YES, YES!" when I asked if she wanted to get the books.:willy_nilly:

She took the assessments online before I ordered. She flew through 3A doing everything in her head, had to stop and think about #14, but she figured it out. She had to put more thought into the 3B questions, working some of the problems out on paper. She originally skipped #10 and #11, and missed #12 due to misreading the question, but wanted to continue working on them until she got all the answers, and she eventually got them.

DD suggested starting with 3B, as she found the 3A questions pretty easy. I reminded her that these are just questions to see if she is ready for 3A, and she is ready. She's mostly looking forward to 3B though, since she really wants math she has to think about. I figured we might as well get the whole presentation.

So, I ordered 3A and 3B late last night. I went with the 2-3 week shipping option. I held off on ordering AOPS pre-Algebra even though that would have meant free shipping. :) DD has been asking to start that in the fall, but I think Beast Academy will be an interesting program, and will allow us to see if the AOPS approach is a good fit for her.

I expect DD will work on 3A after school until the end of the semester, and then she can start 3B when school gets out in late June.

3C is due in August, right?:tongue_smilie:

My DS8 is finishing up Singapore 4B, however we will backtrack and do some problem solving the Beast Way.

That's a great plan..

I posted this in another BA thread...

Starting in April....dd7 will use BA3a/b (instead of SM3b) along w/ TT6, HoE and SM4a. It's a hodge*podge -- but that's how I roll. :auto:

I am buying it, but I'm not sure when to start! We are currently finishing up Singapore 2a, and 2b will be done by the end of summer. I was thinking we would start BA 3 along with Singapore 3 in the fall, but then I looked at the placement test and most of what is on it wouldn't give dd any problems. What do you think? Jump in and go for it, or wait a bit??

I'm not a guinea pig, but I'll be watching and living vicariously through you. :tongue_smilie:

I'm Moira, and I'll be starting BA with my upcoming 3rd grader in the fall. We'll likely be working through MEP 3B concurrently with BA.

We're in! Just ordered. Whenever I'm off the board and FB somethng big happens. We will start after it arrives. We've been doing MM3B & TT4. Dd will really solidfy 3rd grde skills with this and we haven't hit geometry for the year yet so I'm super thrilled to start. Poor Ds wants to do it soo bad. I hope 2nd grade comes out before Fall '14.

Yes, about 6 hours ago. :D

Did you order from the AoPS website or from Beast? :confused:

The only email I received was the confirmation email that went through almost immediately after placing the order from the Beast website. It just had my order information and said:

Items being shipped via Priority Mail.

Your order should arrive in 3 to 7 days.

Did you order from the AoPS website or from Beast? :confused:

The only email I received was the confirmation email that went through almost immediately after placing the order from the Beast website. It just had my order information and said:

Items being shipped via Priority Mail.

Your order should arrive in 3 to 7 days.

Me too.

Bill

A pox on all your houses!!! We are really happy with MM 4. But I am hoping to use AoPs Pre algebra, and I am a firm believer in the AoPs style problem solving method. I was going to try to get past Beast with dd9 with my fingers in my ears singing "la la la" while you all raved about it, and plan on using all of Beast with dd5 when she is ready . . . but now I'm seeing some of you with 4th graders or more who are planning to use this. Seriously, I want to know if it will add meaningfully to what we are getting from MM? Will someone let us know when the package arrives and you rip into it? Or what you think basesd on the S&S and samples?

A pox on all your houses!! ;):D:D:D

:lol::lol::iagree::iagree:

ETA exact same situation except I have 2 boys. lol Those books are tempting!

Edited by kwg

I still haven't received confirmation of shipping. :toetap05: Has anyone else who ordered through the BA site itself? I know people have gotten confirmations if they ordered through the AoPS site.

Alex took the pretest this morning. She got five wrong - three completely careless mistakes that she fixed as soon as I told her to read the problem again, and two that gave her a little more difficulty. I think she'll be ready to start BA anyway, after a few more days of study.

I still haven't received confirmation of shipping. :toetap05: Has anyone else who ordered through the BA site itself? I know people have gotten confirmations if they ordered through the AoPS site.

I just got my shipping confirmation 2 secs ago. I was order #10 from the BA website

I just got my shipping confirmation too. :D

I am giddy!!!:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

OMG! - It's at MY post office!!!!!!!!

eta - at 8:46am, it was "sorting complete", I wonder if that means I could have it today?????

Edited by kitten18

They just posted to their FB page that it was only the notifications which were delayed, not shipping. Priority mail and some regular mail went out yesterday. Rest of the regular mail orders are going out today.

Next question!

When the books arrive (and I am JEALOUS of those of you whose books are out for delivery today!), are you going to let your kids snatch them up and read the whole thing like a novel? Or are you going to make them stop at each stop sign to see if they can answer the questions?

Scratch that! IT's HERE!!! :party:

And?!?!.... Tell us more! :lurk5:

If you had the real thing in your hands, after this much waiting and speculation, would you put it down and post on the Internet?

When the books arrive (and I am JEALOUS of those of you whose books are out for delivery today!), are you going to let your kids snatch them up and read the whole thing like a novel? Or are you going to make them stop at each stop sign to see if they can answer the questions?

I am going to try to make ds stop at each stop sign. This could be like asking Niagara Falls not to flow. But we'll see ...

I am going to try to make ds stop at each stop sign. This could be like asking Niagara Falls not to flow. But we'll see ...

This is my plan too, but we'll see if it works! :D

I got a shipping notification a little earlier today. But, I'm in the midwest so even though I used priority shipping, I'm sure I'll be waiting a couple more days...

My review so far: Hilarious! I'm giggling a lot at the angle chapter, but from now on I will remember which is acute and which is obtuse for sure!

I will post more about DD's thoughts/reactions after we're done school and she has had a chance to work with it a bit.

So far, I :001_wub:.

From Beast Academy's fb page:

Thank you to everyone who made this one of the most successful book launches AoPS has ever had! For those of you who ordered on the BeastAcademy.com site, there has been a delay in sending out the shipping confirmation emails. If you chose Priority shipping, then the books went out yesterday. Some Economy packages went out yesterday as well, and the rest should go out today. You should all receive shipping details with tracking numbers today, even though some of the packages already went out.