Menu

Beast Academy is Available!

ErinE

Beast Academy is here! The price is $54 for the full set (A&B). Yeah, I ordered it.... even though we're technically done with third grade for ds. I can save it for dd, right?

https://www.beastacademy.com/

Were technically done with 3rd grade too, but I don't think that will stop at least one DD from doing BA, even if it's a summer activity. :D

Glad to see that it's finally available! And glad to see that others may at least be thinking about doing it with a post 3rd grader. I am debating this hard... DS is finishing 3rd grade and has started on 4th grade math. So would this have any benefit for him? I'm not on Facebook so I haven't seen as many samples as others... but it still looks like he'd really enjoy it as enrichment. But then how long will it take them to come out with later grades...

Oh, the AGONY of this decision... :D

Wow that's more than I expected or hoped. That means it will be over $100 for a full year's curriculum. :(

Only just though. It's comparable to a year of singapore's PM curriculum. It's actually much much more reasonable than I was fearing!

Tempting....oh so very tempting.

Wow that's more than I expected or hoped. That means it will be over $100 for a full year's curriculum. :(

I thought the price was pretty good. But, maybe that's considering that we have 2B and 3A of Math in Focus this year....which cost $240 :eek: .....and Teaching Textbooks...which was $150.

If you're comparing to MM it's pretty pricey. If you compare to SM it's only .50 cents more.

IMO the product that you will receive is much more comparable to SM than MM. That isn't even include what you would spend on a program like TT or Right Start.

ETA: All that to say, that I think the price is more than fair for a product that appears to have had a lot of work put into it. The artist alone had to have cost a fortune.

I was so excited to see that it is available! However shipping to Australia is $54! I just can't do $108 for 6m math, probably less for my DD. I'm really disappointed that there is no PDF available and that someone like Rainbow don't/won't stock it where I could combine postage to make it cheaper to obtain. I know my DD would LOVE it! I'm gutted :'(

If you're comparing to MM it's pretty pricey. If you compare to SM it's only .50 cents more.

IMO the product that you will receive is much more comparable to SM than MM. That isn't even include what you would spend on a program like TT or Right Start.

ETA: All that to say, that I think the price is more than fair for a product that appears to have had a lot of work put into it. The artist alone had to have cost a fortune.

:iagree: Although, BA is divided into 4 per year, not 2 like Singapore. So there is 3A, 3B, 3C and 3D for BA. Whereas Singapore would just be 3A & 3B. But, if you are someone who has supplemented Singapore with CWP and IP and/or purchased the HIG's as well, the price is VERY comparable overall to Singapore.

Singapore 3A Text - $16

Singapore 3A Wkbk - $12

Singapore 3A HIG - $19

CWP3 - $10

IP3 - $14

Singapore 3B Text - $16

Singapore 3B Wkbk - $12

Singapore 3B HIG - $19

TOTAL - $118 for the year

Beast 3A Guide - $15

Beast 3A Practice - $12

Beast 3B Guide - $15

Beast 3B Practice - $12

Beast 3C Guide - $15

Beast 3C Practice - $12

Beast 3D Guide - $15

Beast 3D Practice - $12

TOTAL - $108 for the year

Granted, if you skipped the HIG in Singapore, that alone would end up being like $40 in savings...so that would skew things a bit...but overall, still very comparable!

Is it weird that I totally want to buy this just for me, because it looks like a fun read? I know it won't work for my DS (who is just the right age for it, but hates the comic book approach). I just want to read it myself. For fun. :blush5:

ETA I am obviously not spending $54 on what would basically be an educational comic book for myself. I just WANT to.

Edited by KirstenH
clarity

Well, SM's cost was one reason I switched to MM....hmmmmmmm
MEP is free, and I'm only reluctantly moving (in the fall) from it to BA.

I can't justify spending more than $100 per year when I already have a complete set of a program that is working fine right now and MEP to go along with that. If I didn't already have very usable curricula that I picked up for a fraction of the cost, I'd probably be buying this. Besides, I need to save my money for AOPS later on. ;)

So, if I have a very mathy kid that is doing MM2A and 2B and will soon be doing some 3A and 3B (we do a mix of topics) currently along with some algebra readiness activities at a 2nd grade level...when would he be ready for this? I think he would really enjoy this presentation. How do you think it would work as a supplement to MM?

So, if I have a very mathy kid that is doing MM2A and 2B and will soon be doing some 3A and 3B (we do a mix of topics) currently along with some algebra readiness activities at a 2nd grade level...when would he be ready for this? I think he would really enjoy this presentation. How do you think it would work as a supplement to MM?

there is a assessment test on their webpage :)

:bigear: I want to know this too, we are flying through MM, which seems much easier to accelerate than BA might be so I don't want to switch completely.

All they are asking is for kids to be comfortable adding large numbers.

I don't know about MM.

:iagree: Although, BA is divided into 4 per year, not 2 like Singapore. So there is 3A, 3B, 3C and 3D for BA. Whereas Singapore would just be 3A & 3B. But, if you are someone who has supplemented Singapore with CWP and IP and/or purchased the HIG's as well, the price is VERY comparable overall to Singapore.

Singapore 3A Text - $16

Singapore 3A Wkbk - $12

Singapore 3A HIG - $19

CWP3 - $10

IP3 - $14

Singapore 3B Text - $16

Singapore 3B Wkbk - $12

Singapore 3B HIG - $19

TOTAL - $118 for the year

Beast 3A Guide - $15

Beast 3A Practice - $12

Beast 3B Guide - $15

Beast 3B Practice - $12

Beast 3C Guide - $15

Beast 3C Practice - $12

Beast 3D Guide - $15

Beast 3D Practice - $12

TOTAL - $108 for the year

Granted, if you skipped the HIG in Singapore, that alone would end up being like $40 in savings...so that would skew things a bit...but overall, still very comparable!

I stand corrected. I forgot to take into account that Singapore was only 4 books, not 8. I do usually buy the HIG, which makes the cost more comparable.

Yeah, but the assessment is way harder than the samples. Especially the word problems. Maybe it is meant to give you a feel for the variation in the problem sets?
It's also likely these are skills that won't be taught in BA.

I just ordered Beast Academy.:001_smile:

I've been a very happy SM user over the years, but I've been much more impressed with AoPS for instruction. Getting to work through the sample chapter of BA (yes I was one of the lucky ones!) with my dyslexic daughter made me sure that I want to use BA with her. It was impressive how she interacted with the material and manipulated tough problems to solve them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rainbow Resources carries this before too long as the carry the AoPS texts.

there is a assessment test on their webpage :)

Yeah, but the assessment is way harder than the samples. Especially the word problems. Maybe it is meant to give you a feel for the variation in the problem sets?

:001_smile: I found the assessment now. The first time I tried to go to the site, I got an error message about it being an unsafe site. But then I was able to get there from the link in a different thread.

My son could do all except 6 of the initial 8 problems. We just started working on carrying. The word problems he was able to figure out fine but he loves that kind of stuff. They say they need to be able to answer all but 4 of the questions correctly so by their assessment, he's not ready for it yet.

:bigear: I want to know this too, we are flying through MM, which seems much easier to accelerate than BA might be so I don't want to switch completely.

This is tricky. I love MM. As much as I love-love-love MM5, it will presumably be an easier jump from BA5 to AoPS Prealgebra. In other words, I expect that BA will be more difficult, which is no surprise.

It will be interesting to see what type of student finds a good fit with BA beyond simply "mathy."

I still really don't care for the comic book style. Not that it stopped me from buying :tongue_smilie:. I love AoPS that much.

http://www.beastacademy.com/resources/assessments.php

assessment for 3A is mostly addition.

Right, but I'm talking about the word problems like #13 & 14 and 16 on the 3A assessment. Granted, I don't naturally think in an AOPS way, but I think those look hard and I'm pretty sure dyslexic ds, who could easily solve many of the addition/place value problems, would freak on those last few. I just didn't see many word problems on the text samples, so I was surprised to see problems that difficult on the assessment prior to beginning. I'm concerned it may be too wordy for the math to be accessible to us.

ETA: But I will admit that we are definitely not your typical case.

Edited by FairProspects

Hmmmmm. Kids aren't suppose to do know multiplication, but at least one word problem I spotted needs it. Maybe I lack imagination :tongue_smilie:.

So they want kids to know mostly addition/subtraction with large numbers, place value and odd/even numbers.

Yes, word problems aren't easy. I agree, this is going to be tough. Some problems on a sample chapter I had hard time solving.

Right, but I'm talking about the word problems like #13 & 14 and 16 on the 3A assessment. Granted, I don't naturally think in an AOPS way, but I think those look hard and I'm pretty sure dyslexic ds, who could easily solve many of the addition/place value problems, would freak on those last few. I just didn't see many word problems on the text samples, so I was surprised to see problems that difficult on the assessment prior to beginning. I'm concerned it may be too wordy for the math to be accessible to us.

It's ironic, because the pre-test for the Prealgebra is deceptively easy.

Is it weird that I totally want to buy this just for me, because it looks like a fun read? I know it won't work for my DS (who is just the right age for it, but hates the comic book approach). I just want to read it myself. For fun. :blush5:

ETA I am obviously not spending $54 on what would basically be an educational comic book for myself. I just WANT to.

I could see my son disappearing for several days to read these books. I'll probably beat him to it though!

Well, I've been exploring more since DS did just miss the assessment by 2.

In looking at the samples and description - 3A is shapes, skip counting and perimeter/area. The first practice sample doesn't look hard - introduces some new shape terminology but not bad. The second sample requires multiplication and division to answer but it's pages 59 and 60 so it's possible they introduce the concepts before that since they don't say kids need to know multiplication already. Or maybe they expect them to be answered by skip-counting? But then I looked at the printables and the Angle Mazes look REALLY hard.

I didn't notice any of the assessment word problems requiring multiplication. They did require a good understanding of Odd/Even.

ETA: But I will admit, that we are definitely not your typical case.

Yes, but #13 is just an evaluation of whether your child has the concepts of even and odd down. Odd+odd=even and even+even=even Then #14 is a bit more complicated, but basically it has to do with odd and even, too, specifically what happens when you repeated add odd numbers. I think dd1 would be a bit confused by them because I haven't specifically covered this, so we'll probably cover that soon.

I teach problems like #16 on a number line to start. It really helps to make everything concrete.

They aren't as hard as they look but require thought beyond rote calculations, but the first 2 are theoretical in nature. You could still pass the assessment without those 3.

MEP is free, and I'm only reluctantly moving (in the fall) from it to BA.

I can't really tell what level it correlates to w/ MEP, but I've got one finishing 3A and one in 1A (who has learned an awful lot from listening in), and where's the time for Russian math??

I can't really tell what level it correlates to w/ MEP, but I've got one finishing 3A and one in 1A (who has learned an awful lot from listening in), and where's the time for Russian math??
I've only used Mathematics 6 from Perpendicular Press. It's good for a very bright 5th grader, a confident 6th grader, and is an excellent transition from a visual program like Singapore Primary Math to a more formal program.

I've only used Mathematics 6 from Perpendicular Press. It's good for a very bright 5th grader, a confident 6th grader, and is an excellent transition from a visual program like Singapore Primary Math to a more formal program.

I've got the U of Chicago books. Cough. Math addict. Forgot about that Math 6.

My dd is finishing MEP 3A and I am thinking of buying BA 3B and using it as a supplement to MEP. I thought I would be able to resist. But the samples are tempting and the relatively low price is drawing me in.

I've got the U of Chicago books. Cough. Math addict. Forgot about that Math 6.

You won't need that Math 6 now that there's AoPS Prealgebra (unless you use it before the Prealgebra ;); might be a nice transition) (I have both, cough, and unfortunately we have not gotten around to using the Math 6).

You won't need that Math 6 now that there's AoPS Prealgebra (unless you use it before the Prealgebra ;); might be a nice transition) (I have both, cough, and unfortunately we have not gotten around to using the Math 6).

Well, good thing I didn't buy it!

Happily, I have got an Alg 2 book by Dolciani. Heh

My dd is finishing MEP 3A and I am thinking of buying BA 3B and using it as a supplement to MEP. I thought I would be able to resist. But the samples are tempting and the relatively low price is drawing me in.

I think I might do the same thing.

Yes, but #13 is just an evaluation of whether your child has the concepts of even and odd down. Odd+odd=even and even+even=even Then #14 is a bit more complicated, but basically it has to do with odd and even, too, specifically what happens when you repeated add odd numbers. I think dd1 would be a bit confused by them because I haven't specifically covered this, so we'll probably cover that soon.

I teach problems like #16 on a number line to start. It really helps to make everything concrete.

They aren't as hard as they look but require thought beyond rote calculations, but the first 2 are theoretical in nature. You could still pass the assessment without those 3.

I agree, which is why we are going to try it, but the even/odd thing also hits up against some if the issues of memorizing with dyslexia (in addition to the fact that the whole problem is in words that have to be reasoned out first). I'm just hesitant that this program will be a good fit for a 2E kid who has to work around some LD issues, but we'll give it a go. It might be a complete bust for us though. I know plenty of smart math people who don't find AoPs to be a good fit, so even if it doesn't work out, I think we'll be okay. :)

Just like a PP though, I am interested to see which type of learner this program fits best.

By the way, for anyone ordering other AoPS books, you can order BA from the AoPS website and get free shipping if the order is greater than $100.

Eeeek! Good thing I didn't know that, I probably would have ordered Algebra for myself just to get free shipping.

<sigh> $54 for the books themselves I can justify, but not another $54 on top for shipping. How come I can get 8 LoF books for $24 shipping, but this is $54? Ah well, back to the drawing board.

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking at a mail forwarding company to see if they can work it out cheaper.

Hmmmmm. Kids aren't suppose to do know multiplication, but at least one word problem I spotted needs it. Maybe I lack imagination :tongue_smilie:.

So they want kids to know mostly addition/subtraction with large numbers, place value and odd/even numbers.

Yes, word problems aren't easy. I agree, this is going to be tough. Some problems on a sample chapter I had hard time solving.

I am glad I am not the only one lol. To make matters worse I am on my Kindle, so as I looked at the "draw a rectangle only using 4 dots" problem I kept trying to turn my "paper" so I could see it from all angles, and of course the Kindle adjusted to make that impossible. I am going to have my son do the assessments and take a look tomorrow. I really wish I had an entire chapter sample, I am green with envy at those that have them.