Menu

How is it that ...

Haiku

How is it that my son can write the words tall, wall, fall, small, call, ball, and stall and NOT recognize that there is a pattern in how the -all sound is spelled?

I'm honestly curious, I'm not just :banghead: . I mean I am :banghead: , but I really want to know what can cause this to happen.

Tara

How was the lesson presented? (I haven't used A & P). Is it discovery oriented (child is to discover the pattern through repetition or other means) or is it directly taught and demonstrated, and then the student is to practice it?

My son never did well with discovery-oriented methods (and to his way of thinking, that type of method is withholding important information from the student. When he was younger he even thought it was done out of ill-intent! Obviously, why would anyone not just TELL you what you need to know unless they don't want you to understand? Love how kids think so differently!)

How was the lesson presented? (I haven't used A & P). Is it discovery oriented (child is to discover the pattern through repetition or other means) or is it directly taught and demonstrated, and then the student is to practice it?

My son never did well with discovery-oriented methods (and to his way of thinking, that type of method is withholding important information from the student. When he was younger he even thought it was done out of ill-intent! Obviously, why would anyone not just TELL you what you need to know unless they don't want you to understand? Love how kids think so differently!)

It has been practiced in past lessons that the "all" sound is spelled a l l. We also have flashcards that present each sound. In a section of a later lesson where words were being reviewed, these words were to be written from dictation (and there were about 5 other words that weren't -all words thrown in). Ds spelled some of the -all words correctly, and some he didn't, or really struggled with figuring out the correct spelling.

So it wasn't explicitly mentioned here, but it has been in past lessons.

Tara