Menu

Would you drop out of your HS group.......

Would you drop out for the remainder of the year?  

1. 1. Would you drop out for the remainder of the year?

• Yes, pleasee explain
    • No, please explain

My oldest dd did this to my grand-daughters back in November when they were both unbelievably infested -- she did it twice. -- when the lice professional came the next day, both girls still had a fair number of live ones in their hair.

I had always thought that the hair dye thing worked.

Cetaphil works.

I have heard of that in extreme infestations. I think you do have to comb them out after the dye job and put the bedding and clothes through the dryer. The major issue is keeping the hair as inhospitable as possible. I am with you: Hair spray, braid, laundry. But if I was dealing with this on a repetitve basis (and I really liked our group) I would dye everyone's hair, coat in some product and probably put them in a ballerina bun! :tongue_smilie:

I struggle with blaming anyone in these instances. Often parents do not know their kids are infested and even if they think they have gotten all of them there is still the possibility. I have learned to really appreciate metal/plastic chairs in group settings and am a little squirmy with fabric ones. :D

If there were activities dd really enjoyed, I'd keep going once a week or everyother week.

dd would have to agree to

1. keep her hair contained, braided whatever for meetings.

2. immediately bag up her clothing upon returning home or put in hot washer. no stopping to sit on couch or bed or whatever.

3. do mayonaise treatment when returning home (cover hair in mayonaise and wrap tightly in plastic wrap).

We have never gotten lice. Our neighbors got them multiple times. The mom always told me. Our kids played together a lot. As soon as she told me I'd pick through my kids' hair and do the mayonaise thing. Then, I'd pick through their hair again.

We never got lice despite exposure. Maybe lice don't like us. Lice are icky, but they aren't a health hazard. I would just treat dd's hair preventively and go to the meetings.

I have heard of that in extreme infestations. I think you do have to comb them out after the dye job and put the bedding and clothes through the dryer. The major issue is keeping the hair as inhospitable as possible. I am with you: Hair spray, braid, laundry. But if I was dealing with this on a repetitve basis (and I really liked our group) I would dye everyone's hair, coat in some product and probably put them in a ballerina bun! :tongue_smilie:

I struggle with blaming anyone in these instances. Often parents do not know their kids are infested and even if they think they have gotten all of them there is still the possibility. I have learned to really appreciate metal/plastic chairs in group settings and am a little squirmy with fabric ones. :D

:iagree: hair spray, braid, laundry -- the lice professional agrees.

Totally agree about the metal and plastic chairs -- in one of the classrooms where I taught, I eighty-sixed the bean bag chairs the first day of school.

Yes!! It is near the end of the year, so I would just replace it with some other activity. Dd got lice once during softball (sharing helmets - yuck!). It was a ton of work to apply the product, constant cleaning, and constantly checking others in the house to make sure it didn't spread. Lice are the worst! Ugg, now I am scratching my head just thinking about it.

I have learned to really appreciate metal/plastic chairs in group settings and am a little squirmy with fabric ones. :D

My friend is convinced her dc picked up lice at the dentist's office where they have fabric covered headrests on the exam chairs. (Is there a smilie for "gives me the willies"?)

No, I wouldn't. There are lice in the world. *shrug* But I *would* take measures to prevent infestation in my own home.

First, I'd switch the kids to a shampoo with tea tree oil (or simply mix a small bottle of the stuff in with their regular shampoo). Wash hair the night before co-op. Braid any long hair and consider tying hair up in a cute kerchief or scarf. After co-op, wash again with tea tree shampoo, comb through with a metal nit comb (Walgreens seems to carry these consistently), and *blow*dry* on the hottest temp the kids can stand until hair is thoroughly dry.

And I wouldn't worry about it til the next time.

-----

BTW, lice *totally* gross me out. Absolutely. They're revolting and horrible. ... But we encounter them all the time -- we just don't usually know about it. And they're actually *difficult* to transfer. So while I hate the thought of them, I'd be completely comfortable taking the avoidance measures above.

I'd be gone in a heartbeat. I have all boys and they like their hair relatively short. However mine is long and thick and I've heard horror stories about dealing with them. My OCD would kick in big time.

But my kids are so prone to strep that I don't dream of letting them out of the house when they have strep for 48 hours on antibiotics or any thing that might be something they can pass on. I just don't believe in putting other people's kids at risk.

Y'all are stressing me out. My dd gets back from a mission trip to India on Sat., and I am suppose to de-lice her before she comes in the house. yuck!

Can't someone from your hs group do a lice check before the meeting? My children are at a small charter school and there is a lice issue once a year. If a student has lice the secretary is required to check all 200 students so it can't be that hard. I think lice gather along the base of the neck so just put on gloves and have each student flip there hair over. Doesn't seem that hard to me and then you can keep meeting.

No, I wouldn't. There are lice in the world. *shrug* But I *would* take measures to prevent infestation in my own home.

First, I'd switch the kids to a shampoo with tea tree oil (or simply mix a small bottle of the stuff in with their regular shampoo). Wash hair the night before co-op. Braid any long hair and consider tying hair up in a cute kerchief or scarf. After co-op, wash again with tea tree shampoo, comb through with a metal nit comb (Walgreens seems to carry these consistently), and *blow*dry* on the hottest temp the kids can stand until hair is thoroughly dry.

And I wouldn't worry about it til the next time.

-----

BTW, lice *totally* gross me out. Absolutely. They're revolting and horrible. ... But we encounter them all the time -- we just don't usually know about it. And they're actually *difficult* to transfer. So while I hate the thought of them, I'd be completely comfortable taking the avoidance measures above.

:iagree:

i used to do ministry with street teens. i cannot count how many times we've dealt with lice. it took a lot of my time, and my energy...

unless the interaction was crucial for my kids, i'd drop in a heartbeat. (eg. if they were the only people they saw ever, which isn't the case for us at all). but if you see the same folks in other activities, you don't gain so much....

i haven't read all the answers, but may have to; i am wondering if any of the folks who voted "no" have dealt with lice more than once?

yup, i'd better go back and read....

ann

eta: if you decide to keep going, i think you need to use lice shampoo on your whole family just before you leave to go to the group, to avoid unintentionally giving it to anyone else AND again when you get home, to make sure you haven't brought any new stuff back. make sure you use lice spray on your car seats, too! have everyone get out of their clothes in the front hall, put everything in a garbage bag, carry the whole lot to the dryer and dry them on high for a Really Long Time.... throw out the garbage bag outside right away.

and then there is the cost of two shampoo treatments a week for everyone, and boiling the combs.... i wouldn't be doing it...

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

I would definitely leave the group. At least until the start of the next school year. I have only had to deal with lice once and I was terrified to use chemicals on my dd's head. She has long, thick, thick, thick hair, and I was ready for a battle. The only treatment I used was Cetaphil Gental Skin Cleanser. It worked. Three treatments and they were gone for good. No chemicals. No hard work picking and stripping eggs and such. No super cleaning of the house (though I did give it a good go initially). If I were you I would start there. If it doesn't work then you can move onto the chemicals, but in my experience Cetaphil does the trick. And stay away from the co-op kids. At least for awhile.

With Spring Break coming up, how many weeks do you have left?

It would not be worth it to me, but we live in a heavily populated area, so social time is abundant.

If I didn't, I may go just to get out of the house a bit.

If you stay, I would use Tea Tree oil or peppermint on all hair and wash all clothes to hopefully avoid it.

If your kids want to attend, I would send them if they are willing to agree to carefully follow the precautions that others have mentioned. I'd probably also have the boys shave their heads as a preventive measure, leave coats and bags in the car, and put tea tree oil in the girls' hair before putting it in a bun. The smell is strong but I would have no problem letting other adults know hey my kids reak like tea tree oil because we are trying to avoid the infestation that this group has allowed to occur here.

BUT, I would absolutely insist that the co-op leadership get a clue and set up responsible guidelines -- it's really surprising that they aren't doing notification and requiring known offenders to share what they have done to eradicate at home and submit to a spot check before returning to class.