Menu

Would you drop out of your HS group.......

Would you drop out for the remainder of the year?  

1. 1. Would you drop out for the remainder of the year?

• Yes, pleasee explain
    • No, please explain

For the remainder of the year if there has been an ongoing problem with lice?

Apparently the first outbreak was in November. I did not hear about it because we were not at our group. We took off some time when we drove to IL to pick up our puppy.

In December we only did a field trip and the Christmas party. Attendance Was light.

i do not know about January.

February, outbreak of lice.

March, more lice. Dd is in the beginning stages.

I am seriously considering dropping out for the remaining two months. We are down to going every other week. There ar a couple of things dd would like to attend (photography and survivor class) but I do NOT want to go thrpugh this again.

WWYD? Poll to follow.

ETA: I run a book club on the first Monday of the month. Mit will have to be cancelled.

Edited by Denisemomof4

Yes, I would drop out instantly.

The Lice Professional we use (comes to the house - treats everyone) is $300. a pop.

She has been here twice in two years.

As much as I like her, I would prefer never to hand her another check for $300 (and about $100 for product) again.

I would be heading for the door.

Nothing makes my skin crawl and give me the heeby jeebies like knowing there is a potential lice issue in the house. We have dealt with it in the last year and it is just...awful. Especially for dd with her long hair! And I totally get PARANOID and probably overdo the cleaning, washing, sanitizing, isolating, etc.

I have been a mom for 20 years and we have neVer had to deal with it before.

Some people are so RUDE and SELFISH!!!

I'm curious about this. Do you think people are willingly letting their children spread lice? I think it's far more likely that they think they have gotten rid of them but the product they used was ineffective or the children picked it back up again from somewhere. Rude and selfish wouldn't cross my mind.

Nope.

I haven't had to deal with lice on my own kids (yet), but there were several rounds while I was growing up. Yes, it's a miserable experience and pain to deal with, but I can't imagine canceling anything because it *might happen.

Of course, I would make sure my kids were taking what precautions they could.

I'd drop it.

I'd also write a public letter to the group explaining why I am dropping it.

Trying to find a polite way to say this. I know people don't get/spread lice on purpose, but I'm sure it feels that way after awhile. I would be saying I was leaving because you (the whole group), deserve enough respect that people suffering with lice treat it, keep the kids home/away from others, and, as embarrassing as it is, make sure everyone that could have been exposed knows.

The fact that you had mulitple outbreaks, but they weren't made public knowledge by the group leaders would be an issue for me as well.

My youngest has thick, naturally curly hair down to her waist, so I'd be a blur to the exit. Ugh. I had lice as a teacher 15 years ago and it was a royal PITA, and that was before I would have had to deal with all of the kid bedding, stuffed animals, etc. No way would I stick around for potentially all of that work.

Lice is a common problem here in the PNW because we have so many organic/natural - minded parents here. They are inclined to use more "gentle" methods that often do not kill the lice. When I hear of an outbreak we avoid that group for awhile.

I am the leader of a group and if this happened we would send out a formal email stating that we would be on break until all lice is eradicated. It is unfortunate that they didn't inform you at the first outbreak. We would inform everyone immediately and probably attach a sheet or something we downloaded explaining what lice is, how to kill it and what you need to do in your home to get rid of it, just to help people out... I couldn't imagine what a pain it would be to deal with it with a large family!!!

I voted no but the real answer is maybe.

Do you know or strongly suspect who the culprit is? Does your daughter hang around with them? How old is your daughter? Can she be trusted to keep her hair in a ponytail/not share combs, hats, etc? Any sharing of equipment - such as helmets?

I think proper precautions will cut down on the likelihood of getting lice (although nothing is fool-proof).

I also think a case of lice caught early is easier to deal with than an older case.

You can be vigilant.

All of the above might be too much of an issue if you do not love the program.

YES. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

My dd kept coming home from school with lice. It was awful. I thought it was just that I was missing them or that they were super-resistant, but it stopped when summer break finally rolled around. It was one of the most aggravating experiences I've ever had, checking her head diligently and finding lice *again* despite washing and steaming and vacuuming everything. Combing through her head for hours. ARGH.

I would also let the head of the group know exactly why I chose to leave.

Cat

I voted no but the real answer is maybe.

Do you know or strongly suspect who the culprit is? Does your daughter hang around with them? How old is your daughter? Can she be trusted to keep her hair in a ponytail/not share combs, hats, etc? Any sharing of equipment - such as helmets?

I think proper precautions will cut down on the likelihood of getting lice (although nothing is fool-proof).

I also think a case of lice caught early is easier to deal with than an older case.

You can be vigilant.

All of the above might be too much of an issue if you do not love the program.

:iagree: Lice cannot jump and they cannot survive for very long without a host. Keep her hair up and her stuff (coats, backpacks) separate.

I'm curious about this. Do you think people are willingly letting their children spread lice? I think it's far more likely that they think they have gotten rid of them but the product they used was ineffective or the children picked it back up again from somewhere. Rude and selfish wouldn't cross my mind.

They absolutely knew their kids had loce and brought them anyway.

because lice transfer from person to person so easily, in public school here children with lice are sent home. period. no exceptions. they are given instructions on how to get rid of them, including a chemical product to kill them and comb through the child's hair that includes washing bedding and infested clothing/combs/etc. with very hot soapy water. They are not allowed back until they are proven free of lice including an inspection by the school nurse.

Your homeschool group is not banning children with lice, nor notifying when there is an outbreak, so heck no, I wouldn't go. why should I have to deal with something another person hasn't dealt with appropriately before bringing their children back where they can pass it on to someone else? (and yes, I've dealt with lice before)

eta: besides banning the infested child, the public school also sent out notices with each child at the school (iow: multiple children, multiple notices) that there was a lice outbreak so other parents could be vigilant and hopefully catch it early.

Edited by gardenmom5

Can she be trusted to keep her hair in a ponytail/not share combs, hats, etc? Any sharing of equipment - such as helmets?

you don't have to share - my daughter's COAT touched the other child's coat in the coat closet, then she put on her coat - that was all it took.

I don't know. Probably. Maybe.

We fought head lice for over a year. Each event was a new one, not a holdover from previous infestations (I could tell because of the length of time between infestations). I never knew if it was the support group, the Wednesday night Missionettes, the Sunday school class, the neighborhood children...We moved from San Diego to San Jose and never dealt with head lice again.

Dealing with lice, at least for *me*, is draining, exhausting, and NOT something I would do if I had ANY way of avoiding it.

I got lice as a girl from church camp. Me and my sisters all had long hair. It was a nightmare.

My stepkids got lice when Zee was 1 1/2. They told me their mother went back and forth about letting me know. :001_huh: I'm glad she told us, that's for sure. We were able to keep them from spreading to Zee or dh and I. The stepkids mom had it, and I even offered to help her comb through her hair, that's how bad I wanted it G.O.N.E.

My youngest has thick, naturally curly hair down to her waist, so I'd be a blur to the exit. Ugh. I had lice as a teacher 15 years ago and it was a royal PITA, and that was before I would have had to deal with all of the kid bedding, stuffed animals, etc. No way would I stick around for potentially all of that work.

Lice is a common problem here in the PNW because we have so many organic/natural - minded parents here. They are inclined to use more "gentle" methods that often do not kill the lice. When I hear of an outbreak we avoid that group for awhile.

This last is one reason why I'd be a blur to the exit as well-I KNOW we have many parents in our group who feel this way, and I seriously doubt they'd make a big effort to get rid of the lice. So far, DD has avoided them, which is good since she has fine, but very thick, long hair that would make lice a total pain to get rid of. I use a rosemary shampoo, gel in her hair and make sure it's braided tightly before gymnastics because the mats scare me a little-so many little heads tumbling on them.

Yes, absolutely. We have only had to deal with lice once, thank goodness, and it was terrible. What angered me the MOST about it though, was who we got it from. DH mentioned to them that DD and I were staying home from an event b/c of the lice. DH had shaved his head to 'treat' the problem. The wife replied that her sons had it 2 weeks ago (when they had been at our home) and that it must be 'going around' It was much less of an issue for them as they only had boys, whose heads they shaved.

YES!!!! I hate lice. Hate, hate, hate. My head is itching now just from reading this. My oldest had lice when she was in ps. She had attended a birthday party, complete with shared hairbrushes, 2 weeks before we found the little demons. It was awful. Not one of the other parents had the decency to call the school or other parents. I had to be the bad guy and inform the school. Another girl in her class, who had also attended this party, was also possessed/infested. We spent hours combing her hair and hand-picking the little demon spawn eggs. I. HATE. LICE.

The itching is drivine ME insane and my hairdresser didn't find anything on me! She also said that they don't like color treated hair so I am safe.:confused::confused::confused:

I would disagree with this. My mother had color-treated hair and got lice. I guess nothing is fool proof.

I would leave the group. Lice are a huge pain in the butt to deal with, and it looks like the group is not taking the proper precautions. My brother got head lice and it was quite awhile before my parents caught on. This all happened, of course, while I was up visiting. Thankfully, I managed to not get lice (oh this is making me itch!!)

It sounds like someone is not keeping up, and while I am sorry that you have to leave the group in order to resolve the issue it sounds like the group is not stepping up to the plate. Sorry, and good luck!

The itching is drivine ME insane and my hairdresser didn't find anything on me! She also said that they don't like color treated hair so I am safe.:confused::confused::confused:

Just reading this thread is making me itch! :lol:

I once thought I had lice--I'd let the girls at Awana play with my hair. Next day I was itching. I checked and checked over a couple of weeks! It didn't stop itching for that long. I never did have lice, but I have always wondered what caused the itch.

I would leave the co-op.

because based on my past experience of not having lice but thinking maybe we had been exposed, I need every spare minute to detail clean every square inch of my house.

I am not really a house proud woman. But when I start thinking about things that crawl, the whole "Martha Steward" thing kicks in big time.

I am telling you, just dye your girls hair. No one will even know if you use the same color. ;)

If everyone in the house gets a dye job, the critters will die shortly without a host.

I am telling you, just dye your girls hair. No one will even know if you use the same color. ;)

If everyone in the house gets a dye job, the critters will die shortly without a host.

My oldest dd did this to my grand-daughters back in November when they were both unbelievably infested -- she did it twice. -- when the lice professional came the next day, both girls still had a fair number of live ones in their hair.

I had always thought that the hair dye thing worked.

Cetaphil works.

I wouldn't leave the group if it was one person causing the problem. I'm pretty sure my group would insist that they stay home. If it was more than one family, I'd think about staying home for a week or two, or maybe just put everyone's hair up in buns for the day and risk it. I've had lice before (working in preschool) and it was a pain, but not the end of the world. But we caught it before it spread past my hair...maybe if we'd had to delouse an entire house I'd feel differently.

I wouldn't leave the group if it was one person causing the problem. I'm pretty sure my group would insist that they stay home. If it was more than one family, I'd think about staying home for a week or two, or maybe just put everyone's hair up in buns for the day and risk it. I've had lice before (working in preschool) and it was a pain, but not the end of the world. But we caught it before it spread past my hair...maybe if we'd had to delouse an entire house I'd feel differently.

At this point we are up to six kids, and these are only the kids I know about.