Menu

NLE done!

My boy just did the NLE this morning, his very first brush with bubble exams.

I did not go over his answers, but I peeked at the first one, and he's got it wrong. My hopes aren't high, sigh....

He's a very gifted boy, but his brain goes in 10 thousand directions at the same time, so staying focused on one subject at a time is a challenge for him. Of the 40 minutes that were allowed for the NLE, he took 10. Sigh. I forced him to review (and he still didn't catch his mistake...) re-sigh...

How did it go with yours?

My 2 did Intro last year. DS received honors. They're in Lukeion this year for Latin 1. We didn't have any time to prep except for this morning. DD thinks she did well. I'm worried about bringing down Lukeion's averages. Some of the kids took Lukeion's Meet the Romans class. I'm curious to see how much that helps. DS is a Roman history guru, so only the Latin should trip him up.

Glad it's done and on it's way.

Laura

Weird. I thought all NLE were done on the same day... Maybe it's just Lukeion. It does make sense that there's some leeway. Not all schools do Latin on the same days after all.

Laura, my son is also in Lukeion Latin 1. The first class in the morning, 9am. He's enjoying the class immensely! I'm also worried about bringing down the average. My son only joined for Latin 1B, he didn't do 1A with them. I'm not sure he's entirely up to par.

Weird. I thought all NLE were done on the same day... Maybe it's just Lukeion. It does make sense that there's some leeway. Not all schools do Latin on the same days after all.

Laura, my son is also in Lukeion Latin 1. The first class in the morning, 9am. He's enjoying the class immensely! I'm also worried about bringing down the average. My son only joined for Latin 1B, he didn't do 1A with them. I'm not sure he's entirely up to par.

The test is supposed to be given within a one week window. If you need to schedule it for another week you can do that too - they just want you to do it officially. (Since some schools might be on break during the testing week).

We did ours last week because I have 2 very busy weeks ahead. Mailed it today. I think they did OK. We did several practice exams and they had some targeted areas to study. There have been some gaps due to the fact that RCA's syllabus doesn't necessarily match the NLE syllabus. We are hoping for a Gold Medal for my oldest. He received a silver last year. I didn't review their answers because I wouldn't have a clue on half of them.

Cleo,

My son is also in the 9 am class (my dd is in the 11:30). We joined in at 1b too, although ds did take Henle 1 last year through MP. But the vocab and grammar rules are in a different sequence. DD has been trying to keep up after doing some Wheelock's on her own just after she finished FFL. She really did not want to go on the Second Form, so she decided to jump into Wheelock's.

Laura

Dh is proctoring the exam for our kids. I don't think he has time in his schedule until Thurs or Fri, so my kids won't be taking it until the end of the week. (I finally got him to open the envelope yesterday to at least confirm that the envelope did contain level 1 and level 2 tests.:tongue_smilie: )

Dh will proctor it on Thurs or Friday.

On the NLE website it states:

Answer sheets must be returned and postmarked the same day exam is given.

Is there flexibility with this? I would love it if Dh could administer it on Thurs but mail it on Friday.

My boy just did the NLE this morning, his very first brush with bubble exams.

I did not go over his answers, but I peeked at the first one, and he's got it wrong. My hopes aren't high, sigh....

He's a very gifted boy, but his brain goes in 10 thousand directions at the same time, so staying focused on one subject at a time is a challenge for him. Of the 40 minutes that were allowed for the NLE, he took 10. Sigh. I forced him to review (and he still didn't catch his mistake...) re-sigh...

How did it go with yours?

I think the directions indicate that all students for a level should be tested at the same time (or at least on the same day).

My friend and I have gone in together on ordering, but we have asked a fellow scout mom who is a teacher to come be our proctor. NLE didn't seem comfortable with the idea that we could proctor each other's kids.

I'm a little surprised at Lukieon's letting parents proctor. I suppose that meets the spirit of the requirement, which seems to want to exclude the teacher from proctoring.

I think the directions indicate that all students for a level should be tested at the same time (or at least on the same day).

My friend and I have gone in together on ordering, but we have asked a fellow scout mom who is a teacher to come be our proctor. NLE didn't seem comfortable with the idea that we could proctor each other's kids.

I'm a little surprised at Lukieon's letting parents proctor. I suppose that meets the spirit of the requirement, which seems to want to exclude the teacher from proctoring.

We went through this with the local group I do it for, and there were multiple phone calls and emails until they were comfortable with the arrangements.

I do all of the administrative work, and we test everyone at once. My own children are in the group, but they take Latin from other people at this point. For accountability sake, I have another adult present, and the packet is sealed up at the end and mailed that day.

I agree though that it gets a little dicey for homeschoolers, but I'm glad that they're willing to work with us.

The NLE has a policy allowing parents of homeschoolers to proctor exams as long as that parent is not the Latin teacher.:001_smile:

http://www.nle.org/homeschoolers2.pdf

My daughter took the NLE yesterday. I proctored, and I mailed the exam back to Lukeion yesterday.

Edited by Violet
typo in link

It only caught me a bit because they were not comfortable with my friend and I swapping kids for the test. On the other hand, they were willing to let her dh proctor since he wasn't the Latin teacher. Which I guess is the same as what Lukeion is doing.

Looking forward to our test day at the end of the week.

It only caught me a bit because they were not comfortable with my friend and I swapping kids for the test. On the other hand, they were willing to let her dh proctor since he wasn't the Latin teacher. Which I guess is the same as what Lukeion is doing. .

I *think* the idea is that they don't want any Latin teacher, anyone who would be able to help with answers in charge of the tests. So if you swap kids, the kids are still being supervised by a latin teacher...

I know NLE specifically say "their own Latin teacher" (or something to that effect) but it often looks like it's "any Latin teacher"

I *think* the idea is that they don't want any Latin teacher, anyone who would be able to help with answers in charge of the tests. So if you swap kids, the kids are still being supervised by a latin teacher...

I know NLE specifically say "their own Latin teacher" (or something to that effect) but it often looks like it's "any Latin teacher"

Ah, put that way it does make sense.