Menu

Serious topic - Bigfoot, real or not?

Have y'all seen the show "Finding Bigfoot?" My dh loves it. I watched it last night and it was pretty amusing. However, I have to admit, I was surprised at the number of people who claimed to have seen a "Squatch" as they call them.

So, are you a Bigfoot believer or not? Do you think it is even possible that such a large animal could be so elusive?

Funny you ask....

Ds 9 took a picture in the woods with his cell phone ( not really connected :D), and you could SWEAR he captured BigFoot!! It was hysterical, and if I can find a way to get those pics off his phone, I'll post it. (it is really a shadow....BUT, it REALLY looks like one of those Bigfoot pics.)

I might be bringing ridicule on myself, but I actually, in spite of myself, do believe there is such a thing. There have been several reported sightings in Australia in dense forest. In Australia, they are known as Yowies. Ancient Aboriginal drawings apparently show the existence of a large humanoid creature. It seems the aborigines were aware of 2 types - a peaceable type, and an aggressive, cannibalistic type.

Obviously, if they are real, they are only still around because they can escape detection, and live very elusive lives! And obviously there are not so many of them. Some species of animals have thought to have been extinct, but it surfaces later that there is a very small and scattered population.

I don't discount the possibility. In the last ten years we have found an extremely large population of gorillias we did not know existed and a species of large primate that we were not previously aware of. There are entirely civilizations still lost in unihabited regions of the globe and lord only knows what is still in the ocean to be found. We are finding and learning new things all of the time so I would't consider this out of the realm of possibility.

Have y'all seen the show "Finding Bigfoot?" My dh loves it. I watched it last night and it was pretty amusing. However, I have to admit, I was surprised at the number of people who claimed to have seen a "Squatch" as they call them.

So, are you a Bigfoot believer or not? Do you think it is even possible that such a large animal could be so elusive?

I tend to believe they're real. My kids love that show and we record it every week so we can watch it. I think it's their favorite thing on TV :)

I don't know, possibly but the show is hysterical.....

I think it's hysterical too. DD wants to know why the girl is there because she seems to think the men are all nuts. :lol::lol:

Her other commentary was that none of those guys must have girlfriends.

I tend to think there might at one time have been something like Bigfoot but with all the "Squatchers" out there, I think we would have some solid evidence of their existence by now. Bones? Scat?

If there are no bigfoots, I have to wonder what the heck the coyotes think when those guys go out in the woods and howl like that. :D

It's certainly my dh's favorite. I'm threatening to get him Bobo's hat. Oh, no! I know the guys name! I don't know if they're really or not but, dh is a self-proclaimed crypotzoologist (which is the fancy name that bigfoot hunters give themselves).

He's also into the alien shows. I'd rather watch Bigfoot.

I haven't seen the show, but could some of the sightings be of reclusive people? I think there are more people living like this than we realize.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Mountain-man-scares-owners-of-remote-Utah-cabins/iZ-Xa9vhJkKyBYprqSq0pQ.cspx

This book is quite the read and is inspired on a true story (unsolved).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0151014140?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwgoodco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0151014140&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

I tend to think there might at one time have been something like Bigfoot but with all the "Squatchers" out there, I think we would have some solid evidence of their existence by now. Bones? Scat?

This is exactly what I wonder...if there is/are some out there, you'd think someone would have found a skull or something by now.

But then again, there are acres and acres of unexplored land out there...LOL

I haven't seen the show, but could some of the sightings be of reclusive people? I think there are more people living like this than we realize.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Mountain-man-scares-owners-of-remote-Utah-cabins/iZ-Xa9vhJkKyBYprqSq0pQ.cspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0151014140?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwgoodco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0151014140&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Never heard of this. Very interesting. The news story was disturbing. Now I am going to freak a little when we camp. Will have to learn the Finding Bigfoot theme song so that can run through my head.

I don't discount the possibility. In the last ten years we have found an extremely large population of gorillias we did not know existed and a species of large primate that we were not previously aware of. There are entirely civilizations still lost in unihabited regions of the globe and lord only knows what is still in the ocean to be found. We are finding and learning new things all of the time so I would't consider this out of the realm of possibility.

:iagree:

DD is a total Bigfoot believer. I used to vote "no", but now I live in an area that is known for "Bigfoot sitings". I have talked to some actual adult friends who have had "experiences". One friend was even on one of the documentaries years ago! (His story actually scared the heck out of me.) This is a very reliable, intelligent person.

So now I'm in the "possibly" category. I don't think it's necessarily what they think it is, but something previously undiscovered.

And yes, it has made camping quite the adventure. :glare:

I would have to go with yes. There have been so many sightings about these creatures. I do believe though that they may be dying out or something. I think that show is hilarious. Those guys have absolutely no clue about how to be stealthy in the woods. My dh and oldest son have been in the woods once... We are a hunting family so they're out there all the time....my dh knows about all the animal sounds and once, they were out there after dark and they heard an animal sound that neither of them had ever heard before. They don't get scared easily but both of them swear that it was Bigfoot. :001_smile:

While I don't believe we know everything about our world, there are many species left to be discovered, I don't believe in the US Bigfoot.

Several of the most convincing photos/stories have turned out to be hoaxes confessed by one of the members of the party.

I also think a large ape-like creature would leave bones or something detectable in the North American fossil record.

We underestimate the power of imagination and overestimate our knowledge and control over our world. In a way I appreciate Bigfoot because it reminds me of how human beings react to the unknown...even reasonably intelligent people.

No. If there really was such a creature, there would have been at least one found by now.

Anything is possible - consider the (newly discovered a few years ago) Ayoreo-Totobiegosode Indian tribe that lives in Paraguay; that until recently their existence was considered myth, their living existence doubted and few believed they were still out there, living a tribal existence.

The thing with bigfoot, at least for me, is the lack of things like tracks in snow, abandon dens/caves/dwellings, or tools found. Lots of sightings, but not much in the way of concrete evidence they really exist.

No. I think we underestimate our ability to see what isn't there and overestimate the value of eyewitness reports.

:iagree: My dh also watches this show and I've told him something similar countless times. I'm basically wasting my breath. :tongue_smilie: He is a big-time believer (Nessie, too).

Not. Though I've met a Bigfoot hunter (and author). This the nicest thing I have to say about him, so I'll stop there. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Sorry, "reasearcher" not "hunter" :lol:

ETA2: "leading researcher" not "researcher"

Edited by nmoira

:iagree:

That news article gave me the heebie jeebies!