Menu

If you had a child in K, what would you use to teach phonics?

Just Kate

Phonics Pathways - simple, straightforward, large print, pick-up-and-go

This one. No gimicks, busywork or fluff, just solid instruction with plenty of practice. I've used this book to teach three kids to read, and the fourth one is currently plugging through it quite successfully.

I used Phonics Pathways with my now 11-year old, and she hated reading for years afterwards, but she is a very mathy, rules oriented child.

My now 8-year old hated Phonics Pathways and is also very math oriented. She was bored by it. She did love 100EZ but looking back, I'm not happy since I feel that when she encounters difficult words, she doesn't know how to "sound it out". So for the next one, I need to find something else I think.

Grace

I like ABEKA phonics. I don't use ABEKA for anything else though. I buy "Handbook for Reading" and the K workbook. I also do Explode the code for a different kind of reinforcement but you wouldn't have to. Throw in a few Leap Frog videos and that's it.

This exactly what we do, including the ETC and Leap Frog. :) We also use Reading Eggs.

We veered away briefly to The Reading Lesson, but I was not impressed by it.

Hooked on Phonics, I can't recommend this higher.

:iagree: I'm using HOP with my youngest, and I love it - and he does too! He begs to keep reading! Lots of fun, real, books are included with each level, and we re-read those lots. He also really enjoys Bob Books & Animal Antics.

Here's ones we used and brief thoughts

Happy Phonics - Too much time to intitally set everything up, everythings higgledy-piggledy. But if you child is more of an interactive games child, this may be worth the time to do

Explode the Code - Quite monotonous (at least the primers are) its basically one big giant copywork. Great for a perfect Paula who likes to check all the boxes, repeat until perfect etc or for a very workbook based child. If your child is half/half perhaps using the activities suggested in the teachers guide and the extras as a more thorough session may help

AAR - Pre-level is very fun and great for children to be excited over the alphabet, lots of crafts and activities. AAR 1+ I just have the books for now, so not that interesting, not sure if the teachers guides are out yet, so maybe preview those if they are.

AAS - Very interactive and hands-on based, but with a workbook "feel". This could work for almost any child type, and with everything, if the mums excited about teaching it, the fun can be catching! :p

K4 Curriculum & Pre-K4 by Confessions of a homeschooler - Interactive, hands on, lots of activities.

Clicknread phonics - Online website based, good as a supplement, very good with no distractions, but still fun

smartyants.com - Online website based. Is fun, but has way too many distractions, its easy for a child to spend an hour on there without doing one lesson (spending most of their time changing the outfits, watching the book movies etc)

HTH xxx

I use saxon phonics and couldn't recommend it enough!! My kids really enjoy it and it is super open and go easy and full of games and fun without being too over the top.

before I used saxon phonics we tried:

Sing spell read and write

100 ez lessons

OPGTR

Phonics pathways

HOP

then on a whim after reading rave reviews about it and use phonics intervention with my 10yo step daughter I decided to try saxon phonics and man am I happy I did. It is a bit slow going at first as far as seeing results but when you hit about halfway through lvl 1 they know enough to not only be able to read a lot of words but also spell them. My 5yo can spell words my 10yo step daughter cannot which is proof enough for me =D