Menu

Apologia Astronomy Notebooks

SunnyDays

We're about ready to finish up our Science book for the year, so I'm looking at doing some Astronomy with DS over the spring and summer. I'm looking primarily at Apologia Astronomy, although I'm still peeking around a bit at other programs.

For Apologia, I see two Notebook options. DS is 9 and finishing up 3rd grade. He's pretty advanced, but in his opinion, the less writing the better. He's not into coloring and craft-type projects and we probably won't do many experiements. So I'm looking at both notebooks and trying to decide which would be better.

Based on the above, would you recommend the standard Astronomy Notebook, or the Junior version? What ages are they generally geared toward? Or, would I be better off skipping the notebooks entirely and just reading through the book and taking him outside with a telescope?? :)

Thanks for your thoughts...

:bigear: Apologia Astronomy is next up on for our science as well and I'm pretty much in the same boat with my dd8 who prefers not to write but doesn't want to color either. I just ran and looked at them both again and still can't honestly say which one I am leaning towards (helpful, I know.. lol) She is a girl though and does like lapbooks.. so I might just go with that instead of the notebooking. :lurk5: for more replies.

I'm using Zoology 1 and have both a Jr notebook & a Regular.

The differences aren't HUGE.

Jr notebook for each lesson/chapter has:

2 coloring page

1 copywork selection {cursive and print available}

a few mini books

2-4 pages of notebooking "stuff"

mini crossword puzzle for vocabulary words

All of this has primary {dotted} lines for writing on.

Normal Notebook:

1 copywork selection

a few mini books

2-4 pages of notebooking stuff

Awesome crossword puzzle for vocabulary

All on simple black lines.

Both sets have space for adding pictures {taken or drawn}, both have space for recording information and pictures of all science experiments. I think in Chapter 1 the Normal notebook had ONE extra page for notebooking information {biomes} that the Jr version didn't have. It was an "extra" if you wanted to research it. I had my 11 year old research it. :D

Now.. my 8 year old doesn't mind writing TOO much. My 11 year old is so-so with it. One can spell reasonably well one can't.

We use the notebooks as follows:

My child narrates to me and I record it in their notebook for them. They decorate the page as desired. For my 11 year old I have him add pictures in regards to what he spoke of to help himself remember what he narrated. ;)

I have them both do the copywork at their level {cursive for one print for the other} Depending on what else is happening in the week I may split this up over 2 days. Also depends on how long the passage is.

I have them record SOME of the information THEMSELVES when we do the experiments. I write down their hypothesis but they record the nitty gritty {what we used, how far things went, etc.}

I often split the writing 50/50 with my 11 year old because he can say SOOOOOOO much but his hand just can't keep up with his mind, kwim?

Oh, and FWIW, both notebooks have a schedule for using the books, which I LOVE. :D

We're about ready to finish up our Science book for the year, so I'm looking at doing some Astronomy with DS over the spring and summer. I'm looking primarily at Apologia Astronomy, although I'm still peeking around a bit at other programs.

For Apologia, I see two Notebook options. DS is 9 and finishing up 3rd grade. He's pretty advanced, but in his opinion, the less writing the better. He's not into coloring and craft-type projects and we probably won't do many experiements. So I'm looking at both notebooks and trying to decide which would be better.

Based on the above, would you recommend the standard Astronomy Notebook, or the Junior version? What ages are they generally geared toward? Or, would I be better off skipping the notebooks entirely and just reading through the book and taking him outside with a telescope?? :)

Thanks for your thoughts...

The notebooks contain writing, coloring, mini-books, and pages for recording experiments, so it sounds like you are better off not getting one at all. :001_smile: I would recommend just going with your last suggestion. It is definitely a book that can just be read, discussed, and enjoyed.

Have you joined the free yahoo group? There are enough goodies in the files section to last you a lifetime! Schedules, lesson plans, notebooking pages, you name it. :001_smile:

Once you join, look on the left hand side for the files link, then click the section you are interested in.

The files contain resources for all of the elementary books.

Edited to add:

I almost forgot the AWESOME resources for Astronomy on Homeschool Launch. There are several pages for each chapter, all in pdf format.

:)

Edited by savmom
Add link

I'm using the regular notebook with my 7 year old 2nd grader (also advanced, but writing phobic). I write down what he wants to say. I have my 5 year old give me something to write also. They both draw pictures in the boxes. DS1 is warming up to the idea of drawing pictures. :tongue_smilie: I think it helps his writing, so I make him do it. ;)

We do the questions orally, and I can't remember which of us did the crossword puzzle in the last chapter...

We don't do all the projects, but I try to get some in here and there. For example, I got some UV beads so he can do the "Taking it Further" experiment in the notebook. We won't be doing the melting a candy bar with a magnifying glass experiment, simply because I don't have a magnifying glass (and who wants to sacrifice chocolate?!?!? :lol:). We did the balloon model of the solar system in chapter 1 mostly because my kids wanted to, and I'd promised them long ago that we could do it (bought balloons and everything). I'm just sooooo not a project person, and my son learns a lot by just reading. The projects are fun for him, but he learns more from reading.