Menu

Need a math/logic challenge for 4th grader

Clpretzel

I've never used any supplemental books to get my mathy/ logical girl thinking. I want her to have something that makes her ponder. Plus it would be ideal if I didn't have to be super involved (I'm super involved with quite a few curriculum currently.). Suggestions?

I have a 9yo son that I'm also looking to challenge. We use Singapore Math, but I think that anyone could use their Challenging Word Problems, so you may want to look into that.

When he finshes his math w/i the next few weeks we're going to try doing some Scratch programming http://scratch.mit.edu/ and working through Khan Academy www.khanacademy.com to try to get him to a point where he's challenged.

I'm planning on using khan for the summer. I'm just trying to get my kids email addresses legally :). I'll have to look into the programming site.

CWP is my best guess so far, so it's good to hear someone else recommend it.

Anyone else? Maybe something with a workbook and pen and paper.

Edited by Clpretzel
Pushed send to early

This is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but at least related...

This web site has a variety of puzzle types (mazes, rearrange the mixed up pieces [similar in concept to rubix cube], use triangles to build a bridge for this car to cross...

Some of them will probably be too easy (esp. at the first level), but some will probably make her think a bit.

http://www.toytheater.com/puzzles.php

It will work with any curriculum though you may need to go over a few things with them. I use it alongside CLE math. We use it a grade level behind for two reasons: 1) they can do it more independently that way and 2) it's still challenging even a grade behind.