Menu

6 days into raw vegan 30 day challenge and.....

Breakfast: Green smoothie

3 bananas (I need to have enough calories)

A bunch of spinach

2 kiwis

8 strawberries

1 tablespoon of chia seed

Snack: left over smoothie

Lunch: Ezekiel bread with almond butter (not 100 percent raw but close enough)

Dinner: gazpacho (raw) with cut up avocado in it OR raw guacamole OR fruit smoothie (whatever I feel like)

This will give you a general idea. I do not worry about calories too much...just trying to make sure I get enough. I add in a multivitamin and other supplements. I drink lots of water with a squeeze of lemon. If I feel low energy, I eat a date or make another drink.

This is not for everyone but I love it for me. I have no convictions about eating animals. I started this to get healthy since I felt like I was 100 at 32. I am not adopting this as a permanent way of life. Just a jump start to healthy eating. I may do this for 60 days.

Btw, I do this while making meals for my family and going out to eat with them. I have not been tempted to cheat. I crave mostly sweet so drinking a green smoothie satisfies my sweet tooth.

I have had to start taking a melatonin supplement because I have a hard time going to sleep. I have way too much energy.

ALSO, I was inspired by the documentaries Forks Over Knives ( on Netflix ) as well as Fat, sick and Nealy dead ( free on Netflix)

Is it expensive to have that much fruit/veggies? When you say "a bunch spinach", how much is that? I'm asking because I'm intrigued and also because grocery money has become an issue with the economy. The energy thing is what really hit me. I am 41 and am feeling it more and more...I have too many children and too much to do to feel fatigued!!

Is it expensive to have that much fruit/veggies?

That's what got me w/ the raw, since we do all organic. Well, even more than the price was the constant having to physically *get* to the store for more fruits/veggies (before that I did grocery shopping every two wks). And even more than that was the prep time-I would not do well w/ just smoothies, etc, so I was trying to make a lot of recipes that appeal to my foodie palate!

If you're able to keep it simple, it helps a lot.

ETA: I hope I didn't sound negative; this thread is actually inspiring me to try to do a meal and one snack as smoothies in the hopes of simplifying prep time.

Edited by HappyGrace

I have had to start taking a melatonin supplement because I have a hard time going to sleep. I have way too much energy.

It might help if you try eating most of your protein early in the day and going heavier with the carbs at night. Also, have a read up on serotonin stimulating foods. At the end of the day, left over serotonin is converted to melatonin.

Rosie

Thank you for your response. At this point, I am not eating any protein besides what is in vegetables, fruits and ezekiel bread (and almond butter). I am not doing this long term (more than 60 days). The melatonin supplement with exercise works for me.

As far as cost, I buy most of my produce at Aldi's (same company as Trader Joe's) which is SUPER cheap. I take all of my produce home and soak it in water, 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of salt and a squeeze of lemon. I soak my produce for 15 minutes. I know organic would be better for me, but right now it is not in the budget. Eating vegan raw is really not that expensive. You can buy whatever greens that are on sale (kale, spinach or parsley). I buy TONS of bananas (the riper the better). I figure with the amount of energy I have I save on fast food stops because I am too tired to cook, coffee at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts and eventually I will save on medical expenses and medication expenses. For me personally. I would rather spend my money on real food than stuff that makes me feel terrible. I was eating terribly before I started this raw vegan plan.

I eat similarly, though I more follow Eat to Live than a strictly raw plan (he recommends 50/50 raw vs cooked). I'm nursing and to have a lot of milk I need at least 2000 calories so I've been eating bread... but besides the bread I eat huge amounts of greens (8 cups raw) and normally 2 cups or more cooked broccoli. I aim for 4 pieces raw fruit a day.

I puree the raw greens in a food processor into a "soup" and it's easy and tasty to eat that way, sprinkled with a little salt.

I don't eat raw nuts or beans-- that would be too expensive for me. But if I buy bagged fruit and greens on sale it's not that expensive. I never buy organic.

Since I've been eating the 8 cups of raw leafy greens a day my gums have pretty much stopped bleeding when I brush.

I'm too lazy to multiquote, but I wanted to add my comments to several things.

I've been doing this for only about a week, but I guess I've been easing into it for longer than that. DH has been doing green smoothies (not exclusively) for a couple months, and I usually drink that with him.

I'm also having trouble falling/staying asleep. I might consider a melatonin supplement, but I'd rather figure out a natural way to solve the problem. Thanks, Rosie, for the suggestions.

My skin is better, too. :)

As for the budget, it's probably more expensive, but I'm also not buying the expensive meats and cheeses, not to mention fast food.

It's nice to see someone else using the Eat to Live diet. This is the way DH wants to go, but we don't have the book yet.

To the OP - Way to go! It feels really good to do this, and I'm not tempted to cheat, either.

Breakfast: Green smoothie

3 bananas (I need to have enough calories)

A bunch of spinach

2 kiwis

8 strawberries

1 tablespoon of chia seed

Snack: left over smoothie

Lunch: Ezekiel bread with almond butter (not 100 percent raw but close enough)

Dinner: gazpacho (raw) with cut up avocado in it OR raw guacamole OR fruit smoothie (whatever I feel like)

This will give you a general idea. I do not worry about calories too much...just trying to make sure I get enough. I add in a multivitamin and other supplements. I drink lots of water with a squeeze of lemon. If I feel low energy, I eat a date or make another drink.

This is not for everyone but I love it for me. I have no convictions about eating animals. I started this to get healthy since I felt like I was 100 at 32. I am not adopting this as a permanent way of life. Just a jump start to healthy eating. I may do this for 60 days.

Thank you for sharing your story! I have also been considering something similar. I think I am having an autoimmune issue right now. Not sure yet which it is. My appt is Thursday to go over the results of my bloodwork. Anyway, we have also watched some of the docs you mentioned. I also am 32 but feel 3 times that. I hurt and ache and am stiff. I am always tired with no energy.

Are there any recipe books or websites you have found to be helpful?

That's awesome! I have been eating raw since November and it has been one of the best things I've done for myself! I hope you consider going longer than 60 days, too!

If anyone needed a reason to do it, I have it: my father was diagnosed with his 4th (unrelated) cancer 15 months ago. He has stage 4 lung cancer (non-smoking). After 10 months of being on chemo, feeling absolutely miserable - more so than his other cancers, and not seeing dramatic changes in the tumors, he decided to forgo chemo and start the "Hallelujah Diet" which he did for about 2 months. Then he decided to just eat raw. Out of support for him, and because I have been moving in that direction over the years anyway, I started eating raw, also. Since he got off of chemo in September, *all* of his little tumors have disappeared, leaving only the largest one, which is still growing, but at a very slow pace. He has energy and his quality of life is just SO much better! Originally, he was given 8-15 months to live. He is at the 15 month mark now, just had a scan last week, and there is very minimal change. Diet works. It really, really does. We're not expecting a cure, but certainly a longer life span and better quality of life while he's here. Oh, and I should mention, too, that he has had type 2 diabetes for 14 years, has been on insulin for 5 years and with this new "diet", he is now insulin free, having lost nearly 40 pounds!

If you've ever been on the fence about eating raw, or just adding more fruits and veggies to your diet and eliminating harmful foods, I hope this helps you make that choice. Eating raw *does* take more planning, but so does anything that you start for the first time. Once you're used to eating a particular way, it becomes second nature and isn't that big of a deal. Yes, it is more expensive at the start, but I think you'll see savings in other things if you stick to it and it will even out in the end. And, with summer coming up, a garden would be a huge cost saver. My hope is to purchase a dehydrator soon and that will help even more with the cost as I can dehydrate my veggies and herbs that are planted this year.

Congrats again, Cabreban!

That's awesome! I have been eating raw since November and it has been one of the best things I've done for myself! I hope you consider going longer than 60 days, too!

If anyone needed a reason to do it, I have it: my father was diagnosed with his 4th (unrelated) cancer 15 months ago. He has stage 4 lung cancer (non-smoking). After 10 months of being on chemo, feeling absolutely miserable - more so than his other cancers, and not seeing dramatic changes in the tumors, he decided to forgo chemo and start the "Hallelujah Diet" which he did for about 2 months. Then he decided to just eat raw. Out of support for him, and because I have been moving in that direction over the years anyway, I started eating raw, also. Since he got off of chemo in September, *all* of his little tumors have disappeared, leaving only the largest one, which is still growing, but at a very slow pace. He has energy and his quality of life is just SO much better! Originally, he was given 8-15 months to live. He is at the 15 month mark now, just had a scan last week, and there is very minimal change. Diet works. It really, really does. We're not expecting a cure, but certainly a longer life span and better quality of life while he's here. Oh, and I should mention, too, that he has had type 2 diabetes for 14 years, has been on insulin for 5 years and with this new "diet", he is now insulin free, having lost nearly 40 pounds!

If you've ever been on the fence about eating raw, or just adding more fruits and veggies to your diet and eliminating harmful foods, I hope this helps you make that choice. Eating raw *does* take more planning, but so does anything that you start for the first time. Once you're used to eating a particular way, it becomes second nature and isn't that big of a deal. Yes, it is more expensive at the start, but I think you'll see savings in other things if you stick to it and it will even out in the end. And, with summer coming up, a garden would be a huge cost saver. My hope is to purchase a dehydrator soon and that will help even more with the cost as I can dehydrate my veggies and herbs that are planted this year.

Congrats again, Cabreban!

May I ask....?

Is your dad juicing his greens to get in the higher quantities of micronutrients (without the bulk)...to support his fight against cancer? It would require a masticating type juicer...not the typical centrifugal juicer. He could drink 10x more than he can eat.

Edited by Geo

May I ask....?

Is your dad juicing his greens to get in the higher quantities of micronutrients (without the bulk)...to support his fight against cancer? It would require a masticating type juicer...not the typical centrifugal juicer. He could drink 10x more than he can eat.

Yes! He has an Omega juicer and he totally got me into juicing! I had the mindset of "why don't you just eat it? That way you get all of the nutrients without missing some." But he gave me such good information that made total sense, plus his own testimony of course. So now I am juicing too - haven't missed a day since November! My dh and I even went away last weekend for a get-away and I brought my juicer. It's amazing.

Janna,

Bravo! I'm so glad to hear that. Is he following a cancer protocol? We are just beginning our juicing adventure...just waiting for the Omega 8006 to arrive. :glare: We've been eating raw and really feel the difference. I want to do a 30-day juice detox, then juice for breakfast and lunch for another 30 days with raw dinners, and continue raw from there. How have you been doing it? What's your favorite juice so far? We grow most of our produce, but really have to plant alot more to supply the juicing thing.

I do have an Excalibur dehydrator....yum, love those dehydrated greens and raw biscottis.

Edited by Geo

If you do this, make sure to get a great multivitamin, nutritional yeast, vitamin B-12, D3 and Omega 3 oils as a supplement. I slacked the last few day with my supplements and I could feel the difference.

There's no reason for all the vitamin supplements if you're eating a balanced raw diet. If you're eating more raw veggies than fruits, raw nuts and berries (goji are good) and making sure you're eating more greens than anything. Smoothies won't cut it if it's the bulk of your day.

Janna,

Bravo! I'm so glad to hear that. Is he following a cancer protocol?

No, other than what he did with the Hallelujah diet for the first couple of months to jump start. He does see a chiropractor who helps him and who started him juicing. He's his mentor for the moment and then the two of us call each other weekly at the minimum to help each other if needed.

How have you been doing it? What's your favorite juice so far?

Right now I juice only for breakfast. I use 6-8 carrots (depending on size), 3 celery stalks w/leaves, 1 apple, and a bunch of spinach. Sometimes I exchange the apple for blackberries and that is quite yummy, too. One of my favorite juices though is carrots, celery and tomato. It is so refreshing and reminds me of an awesome Bloody Mary. I haven't yet added alcohol to it to make it one, but I have thought about it many times! Maybe over the summer...:D When I first started out, I juiced for breakfast and lunch. Now, as I said, it's just breakfast. For the remainder of my day I eat spinach with homemade hummus (made with raw zucchini and tahini instead of chickpeas. It is SO GOOD), or I'll have a spinach salad with cubed tomatoes and avocado, salt and pepper - one of my favorites! Today I ate a bunch of sweet peppers dipped in the hummus for lunch. I'll also make smoothies with coconut, coconut water, mesquite powder, green powder, gogi berries, hemp seeds, raw cacao powder, blueberries and banana, but I don't do that everyday. THAT'S a powerhouse of a smoothie, I'll tell ya. I also make raw cashew/date/peanut butter balls which are delish as a snack, and I also regularly make my own "spaghini" - zucchini run through a spirooli slicer to make this noodles. I'll make a raw pesto or salsa to put on top and that is quite delicious, also.

I do have an Excalibur dehydrator....yum, love those dehydrated greens and raw biscottis.

Do you have the 5 or 9 tray? I have been debating on this purchase for some time because I don't know what size I will need/want. I'm the only one in the house who eats this way, so I don't think I need the 9. But, I'm afraid of getting the 5 and wishing I had the 9 later on. However, the 9 seems so big and bulky.... :confused: Also, did you order online, or at a local store? I wish I could find one at a local store to look at, but I think I'm going to be stuck ordering online. The other purchase I'm saving for is a Vita Mix. Oy, that's a pricey one. ;)

We are also going more raw. Dh and I have a green smoothie for breakfast and then a big salad or wrap with avocado or hummus. I make a cooked dinner of veggie pasta, stirfry, sweet pot falafel, black burgers, lentils, etc.

We plan on juicing in April and cutting out the raw lunch and moving it to dinners for the 2 of us. My plan for a 2 week reset:

B- carrot beet celery parsley juice

Lunch- green smoothie

Mid afternoon- veg juice again

Raw dinner

I might even just juice for 3days before this. We are also drinking 2 gallons of alkaline water a day.

How do you make the raw biscottis?

I don't know your tastes, but here are a couple recipes:

FYI, almond flour(meal) is what's left after making almond milk...or, the "pulp".

http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-tropical-biscotti/

http://gliving.com/chocolate-walnut-biscotti/

you can substitute virgin coconut oil for the cocoa butter...for a wonderful coconut flavor.

Geo

Edited by Geo

We are also going more raw. Dh and I have a green smoothie for breakfast and then a big salad or wrap with avocado or hummus. I make a cooked dinner of veggie pasta, stirfry, sweet pot falafel, black burgers, lentils, etc.

We plan on juicing in April and cutting out the raw lunch and moving it to dinners for the 2 of us. My plan for a 2 week reset:

B- carrot beet celery parsley juice

Lunch- green smoothie

Mid afternoon- veg juice again

Raw dinner

I might even just juice for 3days before this. We are also drinking 2 gallons of alkaline water a day.

I bet you'll glow in the dark! ;)

No, other than what he did with the Hallelujah diet for the first couple of months to jump start. He does see a chiropractor who helps him and who started him juicing. He's his mentor for the moment and then the two of us call each other weekly at the minimum to help each other if needed.

Right now I juice only for breakfast. I use 6-8 carrots (depending on size), 3 celery stalks w/leaves, 1 apple, and a bunch of spinach. Sometimes I exchange the apple for blackberries and that is quite yummy, too. One of my favorite juices though is carrots, celery and tomato. It is so refreshing and reminds me of an awesome Bloody Mary. I haven't yet added alcohol to it to make it one, but I have thought about it many times! Maybe over the summer...:D When I first started out, I juiced for breakfast and lunch. Now, as I said, it's just breakfast. For the remainder of my day I eat spinach with homemade hummus (made with raw zucchini and tahini instead of chickpeas. It is SO GOOD), or I'll have a spinach salad with cubed tomatoes and avocado, salt and pepper - one of my favorites! Today I ate a bunch of sweet peppers dipped in the hummus for lunch. I'll also make smoothies with coconut, coconut water, mesquite powder, green powder, gogi berries, hemp seeds, raw cacao powder, blueberries and banana, but I don't do that everyday. THAT'S a powerhouse of a smoothie, I'll tell ya. I also make raw cashew/date/peanut butter balls which are delish as a snack, and I also regularly make my own "spaghini" - zucchini run through a spirooli slicer to make this noodles. I'll make a raw pesto or salsa to put on top and that is quite delicious, also.

Do you have the 5 or 9 tray? I have been debating on this purchase for some time because I don't know what size I will need/want. I'm the only one in the house who eats this way, so I don't think I need the 9. But, I'm afraid of getting the 5 and wishing I had the 9 later on. However, the 9 seems so big and bulky.... :confused: Also, did you order online, or at a local store? I wish I could find one at a local store to look at, but I think I'm going to be stuck ordering online. The other purchase I'm saving for is a Vita Mix. Oy, that's a pricey one. ;)

I bought the big, bulky 9 tray.:) It's better to have the big one so you can do more at once, it saves time and money over all. Do get some liners...so you can make flax crackers, spicy AND plain. When I dried some tomatoes it took up all 9 trays...and the results fit in a small bowl. :001_huh: Zucchini and kale chips are great! Here's a great vid using the excalibur. I love this guy, and he's so helpful. I watch alot of his vids on youtube. I bought my dehydrator from him (www.discountjuicers.com) at the best price I could find...plus, free shipping.

Excalibur and vegetable chips demo

Have you begun sprouting or microgreens yet?....very economical and delicious (if you buy bulk seeds). I LOVE sunflower microgreens. Very dense nutrition...broccoli sprouts have 50x more of cancer fighting properies than regular broccoli. You can juice them too. The best prices I've found are here: http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/seed.htm

Edited by Geo

Have you begun sprouting or microgreens yet?....very economical and delicious (if you buy bulk seeds). I LOVE sunflower microgreens. Very dense nutrition...broccoli sprouts have 50x more of cancer fighting properies than regular broccoli. You can juice them too. The best prices I've found are here: http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/seed.htm

No, I haven't done this yet. I have an acquaintance that is all about this stuff - sprouting and cultures et.al. I would like to meet with her to see firsthand what she does and how she does it. Maybe I'll ask her, even though we don't know each other well. Is it easy to get started? Do you have any links for someone completely in the dark about it?

No, I haven't done this yet. I have an acquaintance that is all about this stuff - sprouting and cultures et.al. I would like to meet with her to see firsthand what she does and how she does it. Maybe I'll ask her, even though we don't know each other well. Is it easy to get started? Do you have any links for someone completely in the dark about it?

That's ok, sprouts will grow in the dark. :D Yes! Here's a site that will give you everything you need information-wise.

http://sproutpeople.org/seeds/broccoli.html I just found this for you today. I have no prior knowledge of the site...so I don't know about their seed prices or anything else. The price on this page is for sprouts I think, not seeds. Just click on which type of sprout and it will give video instructions...can't get much easier. Sprouts do need special care, but are easy-peasy. You only need a quart jar for each type of sprout. Nylon screen mesh and a rubber band for the holding onto the top of jar, or a special screened lid...available at most healthfood stores. If you get really into them...you may need a 1-gallon jar! Enjoy! I'll come back and link you to a kimchi-making website tonight (if you like it)...for a delicious fermented Korean sauerkraut type of dish. It's an excellent probiotic...and not hard to make. Not like the german kind. It's an amazing probitiotic that really helps the immune system. Having so much fun "eating" with you!

I gotta go to town now, bye.

Geo

Edited by Geo

The last two days I have had to take a nap. I am really constipated (tmi). I have also stopped losing weight. I am stuck at 5 lbs down 9 days in which is not bad. I am making smoothies rather than juicing though. I am still going to stick this out and see how it goes. I do not feel well right now. Maybe this is detox :nopity:

The last two days I have had to take a nap. I am really constipated (tmi). I have also stopped losing weight. I am stuck at 5 lbs down 9 days in which is not bad. I am making smoothies rather than juicing though. I am still going to stick this out and see how it goes. I do not feel well right now. Maybe this is detox :nopity:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well at the moment. You're right, it could be detoxing. But I suspect you're not getting enough nutrients based on looking at what you posted as your "typical day". The "green smoothie" isn't really a true "green" drink just because you added some spinach. ;) The bulk of your day is sweet fruit, rather than veggies - it needs to be the opposite, which is hard if you have a sweet tooth, like I do.

Do you have a juicer? If so, you really need to juice a LOT of carrots (I go through close to 50lbs a month. You can get organic juicing carrots in bulk at Whole Foods, or you can request your local grocery store get it), greens (can be spinach, turnip greens, kale-which is very good btw, dandelion greens etc), celery, and if you want a little more sweetness than the carrots will give you, add an apple or another fruit (kiwi is good, as are blackberries). There are so many things you can juice, but it needs to be more veggies than fruit. The saying is "juice your veggies, eat your fruit". Of course that doesn't mean don't eat any veggies, just fyi. But I think you get the idea.

Then, in addition to the greens in your juice, you need to add bulk greens to eat. A spinach salad with whatever raw toppings you want (raw nuts, avocado, tomato, onions, thinly sliced yellow and/or green squash etc) and some salt and pepper is great!

Another great meal is a raw "taco", made with raw walnuts, nama shoyu (raw, unfiltered soy sauce. It's sooooo good), coriander, and cumin blended together to a "meat like" texture. Scoop that in a big romaine leaf, turnip green leaf or whatever salad leaf you want as the "shell", then put a pico de gallo mix in - diced tomatoes, onions, lemon juice...whatever you want. That is a very filling and satisfying meal.

If you like hummus, making some with raw zucchini instead of the chickpeas is delicious and can act as a salad dressing as well as just a good dip for eating peppers, broccoli, cauliflower etc...

If you want to keep drinking smoothies, add a green mix which contains wheatgrass, spirulina and other highly nutritional things. You can get that at your local health food store. Adding some "super foods" to your regular, daily diet is essential for energy, too. Goji berries, hemp seed, chia seed (which I saw you use), blueberries, cacao nibs or powder, maca powder...these all have beneficial and necessary nutrients.

I suspect you will get a big jolt of energy if you juice some veggies and eat some veggies.

One of my favorite non-cooking books is "RAWvolution" by Matt Amsden. He has awesome recipes and pictures to help.

Lastly, and I say this lastly on purpose because the above things need to happen first, but if you really pay attention to your body and feel like you would just *function* better with something not raw - a slice of cheese, an egg, cooked fish, a piece of meat every now and then, peanut butter from roasted peanuts etc..., then eat it. Not in large quantities, but so long as 90% of your diet is raw and veggies, the other 10% just isn't a big deal. To me, anyway. I eat cheese every now and then, and I get fresh peanut butter from Whole Foods that I grind right there in the store - but the peanuts are roasted. It just tastes so darn delicious! I make my own ice cream from coconut milk, almond milk, sugar (it's the only sugar I eat that isn't found in fruit. I tried agave nectar but it had a bad after-taste) and vanilla bean, but I always put a healthy scoop of that peanut butter in the bowl to eat with the ice cream. It's nearly a nightly thing now. :blush: But everything else, all day long, is raw. I'm fine with it and my body responds well. It's important to really listen to and understand what your body is telling you.

:grouphug: Don't give up! You're doing great! It takes a lot of courage to change eating habits like you're doing!

Bananas can make you constipated. Why don't you try some different recipes to get some relief and spur your metabolism? Here are a few...

http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes

Try a less sweeter one, like this:

Parsley Passion Smoothie

Sergei Boutenko

1 bunch fresh parsley

1 cucumber, peeled

1 Fuji apple

1 ripe banana

1–2 cups water

Yields 2 quarts

... and if you need to, add a little stevia to bring it up to a tolerable "not so sweet"-ness...then just add less and less over time, until you have reset your taste buds. Too much fruit can/will feed yeast/candida, not to mention spike your blood sugar...which impedes weight loss.

Best wishes on your raw journey!

Edited by Geo

I, to, am doing a juice fast and transitioning to mostly vegan after(hopefully). ~~Those cheeseburgers are calling my naaaame!!!~~

I'm 5 days of mostly juice with one meal or snack per day, and on my third day of only juice(about 3 1/2-4 quarts per day.

I'm down 7 pounds and feel good. I have energy and the hunger is getting better.

I think I need to add in psylium husk bc I was already dealing with medication induced consti[ation(sorry). I'm eager to hear how everyone does!