Menu

Daylight Savings Time: Love it or hate it?

DST: What do you think about changing our clocks twice a year?  

1. 1. DST: What do you think about changing our clocks twice a year?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Meh. I don't really care either way.
    • I would be happiest if we stayed on DST all year or standard all year. I don't like switching.
    • Other.

I like waking up to daylight.....but I HATE driving in the dark. The girls have enough night activities that I'm glad to get more daylight hours later. When I worked out of the home, I hated leaving in the dark. I voted other. I would just prefer it stays light from 6 AM to 9 PM all the time.

I think it's flat out stupid. The sun still shines the same number of hours each day. We live in the northern US and having it still be light out after 9 pm in the summer is ridiculous. And despite government claims, it does not save energy...yes, people need less artificial light in the evenings...but they need more in the mornings. I really wish the government would stop trying to save daylight (as if they could change the sun's hours) and instead work on fixing any one of the numerous issues that really need their attention.

I like it in the fall when I gain an hour! I hate it in the spring when I have to give it back.

My dh will be blaming that lost hour for every bad thing for the next month! ...If only I had that extra hour...:lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I hate it! I just never catch up....sigh.

I don't love it or hate it (those are strong words!) so I voted "meh." But really I'd say I *like* it; little changes to the routine keep life interesting. Call me crazy.

:iagree:

I live in Michigan. If we're going to lose an hour, at least it's in March. :tongue_smilie:

I hate it because we lived in AZ for years and I got spoiled. Having small children and babies make daylight savings time the worst. I swear it takes at least a month to feel back to normal again!

I grew up in Indiana back when it was a sane state. I swear I've never acclimated to switching the clocks.

I dislike the switching process, but I love having it lighter longer in the evenings. Many of my favorite memories of childhood are in the evenings and it's still light enough out to enjoy outside activities. I love that time of day with my own children as well. It's actually light outside still when DH gets home from work and we all enjoy being outside together without the hustle & bustle of the busy day. That would never happen in the early morning. All this, for the small price of losing an hour and feeling out of whack for a week or so. Totally worth it for me!

My preference would be to leave it on DST year round. I always feel so melancholy whenever we fall back and it's suddenly dark at 5pm. One extra hour of sleep on one night is small consolation.

One year, I was particularly annoyed because I was in labor on the Saturday night/Sunday morning of "fall back" and even though I labored until 3:59am, my child was born at 2:59am! I got cheated out of a whole hour of labor bragging rights! :lol:

Kyrgyzstan switched to DST time all the time 7 years ago (or, in other words, we changed time zones). While I like not having to lose and gain and hour, I really dislike being on DST in the winter. It's already hard enough to get going on winter mornings, but having the sun come up very late is awful. It also bothers me to see little children walking to school when it's still completely dark outside.

Switching the clocks marks the seasons for me. I don't love the spring switch forward, but I do love the way it feels like spring is getting closer, and I love the way the fall switch makes me feel like holing up at warm and get ready for the holidays.

I hate getting up to glaring sunlight...miserable driving that way after just getting up. If we could limit the sunlight time or make it overcast a ton more, I'd be ecstatic. 1. I belong in Seattle or the like, def not Hawaii, etc and 2. Yes, I know, I am a freak on this one. My rheumie is fascinated by my flu -like symptoms for days after I have to be out in the sun for several hrs. Great, a fascinoma!

I hate screwing with the time. I would prefer to have my daylight in the evenings though. I really don't have much use for it in the mornings when I usually do my sleeping.

I lived in Boston for several years as a child. I remember walking home from school in the dark at 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon in the winter and then it being light until 9:00 or 10:00 at night. That always seemed odd to me, almost surreal. I don't ever remember sunny mornings either. During the school year it was either dark or just barely dawn on the way to school and in the summer I always slept in so it was always full daylight when I woke up.

I would just prefer it stays light from 6 AM to 9 PM all the time.

Me too, year around.

And while the government is messing around with things, I'd like at least 50% fewer overcast days and no snow or temperatures below 60 degrees. I think I was born to live on a tropical island.

I sort of like it, but my kids stay up too late during daylight savings because, guess what, it's light so much later. One year they wouldn't come in from chasing fireflies with a neighbor's grandkid until almost ten. :faint: I decided it was nature study to calm myself.

I voted "I would be happiest if we stayed on one or the other"

I don't like the switching, but since I'm not a morning person I would much prefer we stay "sprung ahead" When I got up at 8 this morning (only because dd has vision therapy) it was plenty light out, but I also love that when I get done at gymnastics with my son at 6pm we won't be driving around in the dark to go get dinner etc.

We usually don't go to sleep until almost midnight, so I'm glad to have those extra evening hours.

Hate it! I grew up in HI where there is no dst. But there the daylight hours don't change that much--12 hours in summer; 10 in "winter." Like others, it's the switching that makes me crazy. And the summer whine of the dc who are convinced that since it's still light out at nearly 10 pm they shouldn't have to go to bed yet. Grr!

I would prefer to stay on DST all year and not change. I hate loosing an hour of sun in the fall. I would rather have more sun in the evenings. And why does Public school have to start so early in the mornings? If they started at a reasonable time like 9am, it wouldn't be dark when kids were going to school. After teaching middle school that started at 7:15 and seeing how sleepy kids are at that time in the morning, it would be better for students to start later anyway.

I hate that AZ doesn't have it. Not only does it cut down communication time with my friends around the country, but in the summer the sun starts cracking the horizon around 4:30. Impossible to keep the kids in bed until a decent time!

Blackout shades/heavy curtains does the trick!

I think it's flat out stupid. The sun still shines the same number of hours each day. We live in the northern US and having it still be light out after 9 pm in the summer is ridiculous. And despite government claims, it does not save energy...yes, people need less artificial light in the evenings...but they need more in the mornings. I really wish the government would stop trying to save daylight (as if they could change the sun's hours) and instead work on fixing any one of the numerous issues that really need their attention.

:iagree:

It is a really dumb idea IMO.

Sleep later! Maybe I should be embarrassed to say it wasn't dark when I woke up. :D

9am church. My internal clock is so messed up that I slept until 9:45 this morning. :glare:

The total amount of daylight does not vary. Changing the clocks doesn't make the day longer. It just messes everyone up for a couple of weeks each year!