Menu

Can somebody explain how to use Khan Academy?

Cindyg

I have an account. My son has an account.

I can't choose my son to "coach." The website tells me I have no students and my son needs to visit his profile and choose me as his coach. When he tries to access his profile, he gets a 404 error.

I can get to the enormous list of Algebra topics on this page. But is that the order in which you are supposed to watch the videos? (I want to "do" Algebra 1.)

And I can see the crazy mind map here, but that's just a mess to me.

How do I put together an Algebra 1 pathway?

I am not sure of how to setup anything, but we always just go to the mind map and do one of the next activities in the flow chart. It usually 'suggests' about 5 different ones for him to choose from, so he just picks which ones. When you click on one of the mind map choices, it takes you to that specific lesson.

For my DD, who is younger, she is just registered and started at the lowest level and slowly works her way up through lessons. The system tests her knowledge, reviews as necessary and then it moves her forward as she retains it.

I am not her instructor or anything, they system does it all for you.

I have an account. My son has an account.

I can't choose my son to "coach." The website tells me I have no students and my son needs to visit his profile and choose me as his coach. When he tries to access his profile, he gets a 404 error.

I can get to the enormous list of Algebra topics on this page. But is that the order in which you are supposed to watch the videos? (I want to "do" Algebra 1.)

And I can see the crazy mind map here, but that's just a mess to me.

How do I put together an Algebra 1 pathway?

I think there is one other step in being connected to a student as a coach, but I am sorry to be of no help since I can't remember it. Before the big "combine all things Algebra" happened, my kids just progressed down the modules, they made sense. Now that pre-, Alg I, and Alg II are combined, we have been forced to use the knowledge map. It takes some time, but if you can get that figured out, it goes much better.

I am not sure of how to setup anything, but we always just go to the mind map and do one of the next activities in the flow chart. It usually 'suggests' about 5 different ones for him to choose from, so he just picks which ones. When you click on one of the mind map choices, it takes you to that specific lesson.

Yep, this seems to be the best way to do it, now that they've combined everything. My kids were each a good way through their "classes" (DS was almost done pre-Algebra; DD was working her way through the "arithmetic" modules") when the big combine happened. We were a mess for about a week, but we've all figured out how to use the knowledge map, and it's all better.

~coffee~