Menu

My 5yo can't be quiet.

I mean, I really think he CAN'T. He is constantly making noise, sound effects, laughing, squealing, thinking out loud, playing (characters/stuffed animals talking to each other), on and on. He knows the difference between quiet and loud. We've practiced it: Whispering the word "quiet" and then saying the word "loud"...well, loudly. :D But if I ask him to be quiet, he just keeps talking as if he didn't even hear me. If I repeat my request for quiet a few times, he will come to my ear and whisper what he was saying in my ear. I have even explicitly said, "No, I mean I need you to stop talking." He looks perplexed---short pause---then resumes jabbering. It's like he doesn't know how to keep his thoughts inside his head. They just come bubbling out. Now, I love my son, and in an ideal world, I would say that it's just one of his quirks and let it be, but the fact is, sometimes I *do* need him to be quiet. You know, when I'm on the phone with the doctor or some other important call, when adults are trying to talk...and boy, does he make it hard for his sister to concentrate on her math! It's hard to take him places because he doesn't realize he needs to be quiet in public and will just interrupt whoever is speaking.

Any ideas? Anything I should try that I haven't already?

Well, I guess I'd try making a game of it - can you be SILENT with NO SOUND for 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? 1 minute? etc. Use a timer he can see the time passing on (like a digital timer or something).

I'd use something like m&m's as a prize. Assuming he can do it - play the game 2 or 3 times a day, increasing the time in small increments each time.

Good Luck!!

Anne

Well, I guess I'd try making a game of it - can you be SILENT with NO SOUND for 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? 1 minute? etc. Use a timer he can see the time passing on (like a digital timer or something).

I'd use something like m&m's as a prize. Assuming he can do it - play the game 2 or 3 times a day, increasing the time in small increments each time.

Good Luck!!

Anne

My now 15 yr old was this way. One time I bribed him with M&Ms for each grocery aisle in which he could be quiet. The good news is that he still talks more than the average kid his age, which isn't a ton, but I'll take it!

Good Luck!!

Anne

I did something like this at one point. "Do not make a sound for 1 minute." We had to start over each time blabbing occurred within the 1 minute. I guess it helped some. I still get interruptions at inopportune times, though.