Menu

TOTAL brag alert (gymnastics content)

Okay. My just turned 6 yo dd started gymnastics about 5 months ago. She was asked to join our local gym's pre-team and she LOVES every minute of her seven hours of training every week. They decided to enter a local "fun" meet a couple weeks ago. These girls had TWO weeks to learn these routines. And, most of them are new to gymnastics. Anyway, I'm linking my dd's bar routine. (I'd link more, but the vault and floor were too far away. Beam was too close and she didn't want me to videotape her that close.)

Anyway, here's a video of her bar routine. I think this is officially the level 2 routine. She STARTED learning it 2 weeks ago!!!! She got her back hip circle YESTERDAY!!!! Everything else she did was level 3. At the start of the next "season" (is that what they call it?) she'll move up to level 4.

And, this is her on the beam. She fell during warm-ups and hit her chin on the beam and was scared!!!! But, she DID IT and NAILED it!!!!!!!!

431501_3106685139638_1039581414_3030558_1323722954_n.jpg

She did SO well. Because this was a fun meet, they could have their coaches' help. Dd forgot her floor routine and needed a verbal reminder from her coach. So, she didn't get a place on that one. But, she got a red ribbon on all other routines!!!! (And, floor is her BEST routine typically.)

Yay!!! Good for her :)

Coming from a pre-team coach of 10+ years and a mom of a 5yr old "hot shot" gymnast, she did fantastic!!!!!

Awwww. . . Thanks! I was hoping you'd respond!!! She says that next time she'll point her toes better and work on the dismount!! LOL Words I never thought I'd hear from a 6 yo!!!

PS Did I mention? She just turned 6???? This is just SOOOO much fun!

LOL!! She's been bitten by the bug!

I'd be happy if Malea would just get that darn pullover!!!

I've noticed that with Meg - as the youngest on the team - it takes her a few weeks to learn a new skill. Where the older kids just get it right away. I'm sure Malea will get it soon!!! I remember seeing the pictures you posted about her going past the splits a while ago. Meg's class does that during warm ups and I always think of your dd!!!

And, yes. She's definitely been bitten!!!! It's just so good for her. She learns that when she falls, she can get back up and NAIL it! She learns that when she thought she had a routine down, she can forget it! She was the cheerleader. When her teammates would come back from completing a routine, MY dd was the one jumping up to hug them or give them a high five. I'm SOOOO proud of that!!! I think I've been bitten by this bug too!

And, to top it off, I will get to meet another regular poster's sister at some point. Her sis coaches gymnastics near us!!!

That is awesome! Good for her. You'll be where I am in a few years if you're not careful. :001_smile: Our life pretty much revolves around gymnastics at this point. My dd will be finishing up this meet season in a couple of weeks and begin Level 10 training.

Your picture and video brought back some wonderful memories. My 18yo son coaches a team your daughter's age and he is out of town today with them at a meet.

I've noticed that with Meg - as the youngest on the team - it takes her a few weeks to learn a new skill. Where the older kids just get it right away. I'm sure Malea will get it soon!!! I remember seeing the pictures you posted about her going past the splits a while ago. Meg's class does that during warm ups and I always think of your dd!!!

And, yes. She's definitely been bitten!!!! It's just so good for her. She learns that when she falls, she can get back up and NAIL it! She learns that when she thought she had a routine down, she can forget it! She was the cheerleader. When her teammates would come back from completing a routine, MY dd was the one jumping up to hug them or give them a high five. I'm SOOOO proud of that!!! I think I've been bitten by this bug too!

And, to top it off, I will get to meet another regular poster's sister at some point. Her sis coaches gymnastics near us!!!

Malea is the youngest on her team too. The other girls will be competing level 4 in the fall. Malea wouldn't be ready, but even if she was, she's a year too young. She struggles with being self-conscious because she isn't as advanced as the other girls in her class. She's a perfectionist and has a hard time because she knows the other girls are ahead of her.

I think the coach is splitting the hot shots into 2 groups here soon though. One will be 4-5yr olds and the other will be for the 6-7yr olds getting ready for level 4. I think that will help her a TON.

Problem? That means the coach needs more staff (we're a brand new gym) and wants me to take over levels 4, 5, and 6 at 12+hr/week. :blink:

Um.....since I have time for that right now?!? Oy!

I'll be watching for more videos of your DD.....I could watch them all day. Guess I still have the bug too. :)

That is awesome! Good for her. You'll be where I am in a few years if you're not careful. :001_smile: Our life pretty much revolves around gymnastics at this point. My dd will be finishing up this meet season in a couple of weeks and begin Level 10 training.

Your picture and video brought back some wonderful memories. My 18yo son coaches a team your daughter's age and he is out of town today with them at a meet.

I have watched your posts about gymnastics as well. Meg's idol is a level 10 gymnast at our gym! I can't wait to see videos of your daughter! (If you'll post them!!!)

Wow, she is so cute and has such nice form for a 6 yr old. No loosey-goosey bent knees and ankles.

Aw. Thanks!!! Her coach loves her for that! She always says that if you tell Meg to keep her legs straight, she does!!!

Malea is the youngest on her team too. The other girls will be competing level 4 in the fall. Malea wouldn't be ready, but even if she was, she's a year too young. She struggles with being self-conscious because she isn't as advanced as the other girls in her class. She's a perfectionist and has a hard time because she knows the other girls are ahead of her.

I think the coach is splitting the hot shots into 2 groups here soon though. One will be 4-5yr olds and the other will be for the 6-7yr olds getting ready for level 4. I think that will help her a TON.

Problem? That means the coach needs more staff (we're a brand new gym) and wants me to take over levels 4, 5, and 6 at 12+hr/week. :blink:

Um.....since I have time for that right now?!? Oy!

I'll be watching for more videos of your DD.....I could watch them all day. Guess I still have the bug too. :)

I can see where that would help your dd! Would you be her coach? I sure wish I had that talent! I just love watching her coach move dd into positions and make her look SOOOO good!!!

I'd be happy to send you videos! Meg loves to watch them of herself, so I'm sure I'll be taking a lot in the future. I think they have another meet in a month or so!

I'd be happy to send you videos! Meg loves to watch them of herself, so I'm sure I'll be taking a lot in the future. I think they have another meet in a month or so!

I ended up making Malea her own YouTube channel after she sat and watched other little girls her age on there for hours, LOL!

I ended up making Malea her own YouTube channel after she sat and watched other little girls her age on there for hours, LOL!

Awesome! Watching the videos helped Meg a LOT!!! ("See! There's where your coach was after you to bend more in a certain direction!" "That's where you did it right!" "See the difference?"

Does Malea like watching herself or not? Meg really only likes it if she does well! LOL

Awesome! Watching the videos helped Meg a LOT!!! ("See! There's where your coach was after you to bend more in a certain direction!" "That's where you did it right!" "See the difference?"

Does Malea like watching herself or not? Meg really only likes it if she does well! LOL

She loves it! It amazes me the mistakes/detail she can spot while doing it too!

Good for her!!!! We are a family who seem totally consumed by gymnastics during meet season. Our three gymnasts are Level 5, 7 and 9. I MISS pre-team!!!! My favorite song is the "Level 4" circus music. Level 5 seems "stripperish" in part (the part where the girls are on the floor) and I'm thrilled that my youngest is almost done with Level 5 year and we will NEVER have to listen to the music again! LOL! We have a love/hate relationship with gymnastics (well, I DO, the girls would say just lots of LUV). Enjoy the fun! There are many wonderful aspects to gymnastics. It's a fairly safe place to learn many important life lessons, the social aspects are many, the travel opportunities can be fantastic and if your dd has the personality to handle being judged to the thousandth of a point, it's a great experience.