Menu

1st grade- am I missing anything???

Sctigermom

We school all year and my almost 6 yr old is pretty much in 1st for everything at this point. So here is what we are doing-

Math- Singapore 1a (almost done)/1b

Science- r.e.a.l. Science odyssey life

Phonics- OPGTR (ordinary parents guide to teaching reading)

Handwriting-copy work

Everything else-FIAR (five in a row)

How does this look? Are we missing anything?

Even tho FIAR has some history in it, I'd go ahead and start the chronological rotation with SOTW, with the Activity Guide. We had so much fun with it that I wouldn't want to miss it. Dd was just commenting to a friend at church today who is excited about starting SOTW--dd said she LOVED it, and is really happy for them! That's a big endorsement right there.

Sounds good to me. I'd try to make sure to do much more read-aloud than just the FIAR books, including nice chapter books, history, science and just good classic books but that is probably a given. I wouldn't worry about spelling until reading is established either.

You might want to look into AAS level 1 for spelling. I also though I had to wait until my kids were reading fluently but others on this board recommended not to wait to start AAS. It actually reinforces and helps with learning to read.

You could also do Song School Latin if you were planning on Latin at some point.

Elena

It looks good. I would start adding in chapter books, maybe at bedtime.

We read much more than the fair book. We go to the library every Thursday and get about 20-30 books a week to read. Ds loves,magic treehouse books and we go through 1 in one sitting (he will not let you stop reading). He also listens to chapter books on his cd player during quiet time. Oh he is also really into star wars so we have been reading the clone wars chapter books

If he is not even 6 yet I would just call it kindergarten and keep going with what you have. After OPGTR was finished we added WWE,FLL,and AAS.

He is technically kindergarten, but we have surpassed most kindergarten work and have started 1st grade materials. We school year round so there isn't a divide between school years. So he is still kindy for phonics/ reading, but everything else 1st. We go at his own pace for each subject so he will pretty soon be all over the place (different grade levels for different subjects). Thanks for the recommendations I will check those out :)