Menu

Moving questions: to Canada, pro vs. DIY, lost items, best tips

In June, we are moving from Michigan to New Brunswick. I know we have lots of moving threads on here, but I have some specific questions:

1. Has anyone moved from US to Canada? If so, how did the border crossing go?

2. Any thoughts on hiring a mover vs. renting a truck? We did it ourselves before, but I'm dreading that this time. Also, we have a small piano I'd like to take, and I won't unless we hire.

3. If you've used a professional mover, did all your items make it? I'm really bothered by the thought of lost items.

4. Any great tips you want to offer on any aspect of moving would be welcome. I've only done this once, and it was 12 years ago. :-)

Thanks!

Get a WRITTEN estimate from the movers. Do some research about the company itself.

We have been burned by movers jacking the price up once we were mostly unloaded from the truck.

Unfortunately for them, they had a tv that we were planning to replace that they hadn't unloaded as a hostage (screen was blue) so we let them keep the tv rather than pay the extra $200 they wanted. :tongue_smilie:

My brother and his family just moved from Canada to the US - what they found was that due to the border crossing it was well worth it for them to hire professionals who were accustomed to cross-border moves. The movers had everything labeled and documented according to what they knew would be required at the border.

We've had professional movers twice and we've done it ourselves twice - I LOVE having the pros. We've never had trouble with lost items or broken items.

My brother and his family just moved from Canada to the US - what they found was that due to the border crossing it was well worth it for them to hire professionals who were accustomed to cross-border moves. The movers had everything labeled and documented according to what they knew would be required at the border.

We've had professional movers twice and we've done it ourselves twice - I LOVE having the pros. We've never had trouble with lost items or broken items.

Melissa, if you would feel comfortable with doing so, I'd appreciate if you'd message me the name of the mover your brother's family moved (and/or the ones you've moved). :)

Hi,

We have moved both ways across the border. You need to check with Canada customs. You also need to check with US customs about what you need to do to document what you bring into Canada in case you plan to move back to the US.

When we moved back we packed in a trailer that was then moved by a company named ABF. They had documents we needed to fill out and they dealt with customs. Moving back I remember documenting what was in every box and dollar values. That actually proved helpful bc I could find things easily.

Our border crossing into Canada was easy. I know we had to get out and go in to have our visas stamped and our list of valuables stamped.

We had movers numerous times while we were in the military.

Make sure they take all the bolts and screws for disassembled stuff and put them in baggies taped to the item. Or label the baggies and put them in ONE box. Same for remotes and cords for things. What a pain it is when they don't do this one simple task.