Menu

I'm finally starting to work on my history curriculum for next year.

I've decided to move away from SOTW with my rising 7th grader. I will be using the first Human Odyssey book.

My question is can I also use this text for my rising 4th grader? He listened in to ancients when he was in kindergarten. I'd like to move on with him as well. I'm ordering a copy of HO from Amazon today. But, I'd like some input from others who have used this book to see if I can adapt it for use in 4th grade. Thanks!

My question is can I also use this text for my rising 4th grader? He listened in to ancients when he was in kindergarten. I'd like to move on with him as well. I'm ordering a copy of HO from Amazon today. But, I'd like some input from others who have used this book to see if I can adapt it for use in 4th grade. Thanks!

I've been using K12HO as a read-aloud spine. My younger dd (4th grade last year when we started) listens in. It's a fantastic book to read aloud.

What you wanted to add to it would be up to you - I'm not big on projects. I mostly added documentaries, historical fiction, and biographies. My older two have been writing some papers for output, the younger one I haven't asked for a lot of output yet. I had planned to do IEW Ancients with her - that would have been a great thing to do if I could've managed to like IEW (but I know a lot of people do - if you like IEW, that could be a good idea).

I also have a timeline, but we're way behind working on it. The plan is that they will all do one timeline together.

This is just what I was hoping to hear! We used SOTW like that for my younger ds when he was in kindergarten and first grade. I didn't demand a lot of output but he loved the stories and learned so much. I've found a copy of HO on Amazon and it's on it's way. My kiddos aren't much for crafts and projects. I think I will plan 2 decent size projects for the year, like dioramas or presentations. We're getting netflix streaming soon, so we will definitely be watching more documentaries.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I'm in that phase of curriculum research where I feel like I'm drowning! I will look into IEW. But, if I can adapt HO for my 4th grader, I'm much more comfortable doing that than having 2 separate programs.

Thanks!

I started out using only K12 HO with my 5th grader. I love the book but felt like we needed more then just reading(and videos). I got Oxfords World in Ancient Times series... great books but still just more reading. So I have since added Connect the Thoughts History as a "guide". There is a lot of writing in the CTT program... we turn the writing prompts into really great discussion topics. The kids love it. We still use the K12 HO (although not as much) and the WIAT books plus videos. CTT fills the lack in the K12 HO text... writing assignments, deeper thinking questions, even some activities.

As to your actual question... for a 4th grader yes I think K12 HO would be fine. Especially if you had him narrate to assure he gets the ideas.