Menu

Is there a program like this? (sounds of the week?)

I'm a big fan of Brightly Beaming's LOTW program... I've used both the prep and the LOTW program with my oldest and am on my 2nd cycle with DS2... I had plans to use the sound of the week program NEXT spring with him (he will be 5 at that point) I just noticed it was incomplete. Is there something similar available? I love the LOTW style because its pretty gentle - and he needs gentle and routine, so I was hoping to continue on with something similar as we get ready for kindergarten (fall 2013) I could probably put something together myself, but the idea of tracking down materials to match the remaining sounds just doesn't seem doable with my current schedule.

I'm open to paying for something...

Well, not a program that is put together, but I can share what I am using with my youngest. It is all free, printable pages from the internet. It does take a bit of cutting and pulling together on my part. I printed everything and usually get several weeks ready ahead of time. It is all black and white and takes very little ink. I'm not really doing this by the week, I have the activities ready for her to do as she wants, sometimes she completes a sound in a week, sometimes two weeks. I have the things in her workboxes, ready for her.

First I introduce the letter sound of the week with the letter page and mini-book found here. My dd just turned 4, so I cut the mini-book and stickers for gluing on and assemble the book ahead of time. She gets plenty of practice cutting with her Kumon books. We look through the book, I read the word on each page, she finds the matching sticker and glues it on. She then traces the big letter on the letter page with her finger.

Then she does a letter craft found at Totally Tots. She really likes making these. Again I cut everything ahead of time and have it in a gallon bag.

I put these pages from starfall, an animal puppet, and a coloring page for the sound of the week in a binder. The starfall pages have a page for tracing the letter, a page with lines on bottom and blank space on top for gluing pictures that start with the letter and writing the words, and sometimes another page with an activity. Each page has a little game to play printed very small on bottom, such as I'm going to say words, if they start with the buh sound clap. My dd does trace the letters, but she doesn't write yet, so for the page with lines I print out these pages with pictures for each letter, cut them out, put them in a sandwich bag, and she glues them on. I think I printed these smaller than the originals so they would fit better on the page.

Well, not a program that is put together, but I can share what I am using with my youngest. It is all free, printable pages from the internet. It does take a bit of cutting and pulling together on my part. I printed everything and usually get several weeks ready ahead of time. It is all black and white and takes very little ink. I'm not really doing this by the week, I have the activities ready for her to do as she wants, sometimes she completes a sound in a week, sometimes two weeks. I have the things in her workboxes, ready for her.

First I introduce the letter sound of the week with the letter page and mini-book found here. My dd just turned 4, so I cut the mini-book and stickers for gluing on and assemble the book ahead of time. She gets plenty of practice cutting with her Kumon books. We look through the book, I read the word on each page, she finds the matching sticker and glues it on. She then traces the big letter on the letter page with her finger.

Then she does a letter craft found at Totally Tots. She really likes making these. Again I cut everything ahead of time and have it in a gallon bag.

I put these pages from starfall, an animal puppet, and a coloring page for the sound of the week in a binder. The starfall pages have a page for tracing the letter, a page with lines on bottom and blank space on top for gluing pictures that start with the letter and writing the words, and sometimes another page with an activity. Each page has a little game to play printed very small on bottom, such as I'm going to say words, if they start with the buh sound clap. My dd does trace the letters, but she doesn't write yet, so for the page with lines I print out these pages with pictures for each letter, cut them out, put them in a sandwich bag, and she glues them on. I think I printed these smaller than the originals so they would fit better on the page.

Thanks for your ideas. I hope to incorporate them to what I'm already doing...

What I guess I'm looking for though is something that introduces the letter sound blends...

Here's the program I was speaking of that wasn't complete...

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/sound_of_the_week.html

Thanks for your ideas. I hope to incorporate them to what I'm already doing...

What I guess I'm looking for though is something that introduces the letter sound blends...

Here's the program I was speaking of that wasn't complete...

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/sound_of_the_week.html

Ah! Okay. :) In that case I'll be watching this thread as I guess we'll be ready for something like this next.

Those links were really helpful! Thanks for sharing - they're just what I was wanting! :)