Menu

BJU vs. Apologia science

The consensus is that BJU is more rigorous than Apologia... but Apologia is still a good program, too.

:iagree: I'd also add that the best high school science text is the one which your student understand and master. Then they can go onto AP level texts. Apologia's advanced texts can work well when accompanied with AP test prep books.

I've used both. My older boys disliked the Apologia Biology with a fervent passion...but loved BJU Chemistry. Youngest ds makes all his science choices on whether BJU has the science he wants to use or not. He's currently used BJU since 4th grade. Now, in all honesty this could be because we've always used BJU with the class DVDs and those teachers really make the science more interesting and interactive...if one can BE interactive with a DVD that is. :lol: So to use BJU as just a textbook curriculum may not be as interesting.

I do believe though, and have found this to be the overall consensus, that BJU is the more rigorous of the two choices.

And I highly recommend the BJU DVD or online option if you can swing the cost.

Apologia is not a bad program by any means, but BJU is definitely more rigorous and meaty. I cannot afford the online classes but I purchase the investigations DVDs which have all the experiments on DVD. They aren't cheap ($109) but I can use it with all four of mine and it so worth the $$$.

For a kid good at science, which is more rigorous?

BJU or Apologia. Thanks.

BJU is more rigorous, but remember that it's not written to be done independently by a homeschooled student, as Apologia is. Also, the labs for BJU often assume access to more sophisticated equipment than most homeschoolers have. You can use other lab manuals and make them match the BJU sequence, but it will take more work.

We are planning on using BJU. I have heard though if you do both Chemistry texts in 1 year that makes Apologia bit more rigorous. But- that is ALOT of Science in 1 year. My oldest will be doing 2 science curricula in high school by her choice. 1 will be very rigorous while the other not so rigorous (to be used as an elective) She is a science nut and plans to go into a science field though when she goes to college.

BJU is more rigorous, but remember that it's not written to be done independently by a homeschooled student, as Apologia is. Also, the labs for BJU often assume access to more sophisticated equipment than most homeschoolers have. You can use other lab manuals and make them match the BJU sequence, but it will take more work.

:iagree: DIVE has made this more homeschool friendly though with their CD's! :001_smile: