Menu

Dr. Hive, why are my ears blocked up?

My guess is you have fluid in your eustachian tubes after your cold. It's pretty common for kids to get clogged ears after a cold. The tissues swell in the ears and nose and trap fluid in the eustachian tubes, and then the ear drum can't move properly in response to sound. It's less common in adults because the angle of the eustachian tube changes so that it slopes downward, providing better drainage, but it can still happen.

You could take an anti inflammatory (ibuprofen) and/or a decongestant. Those might help relieve the pressure. But the fluid will probably drain on its own as you continue to get better.

My guess is you have fluid in your eustachian tubes after your cold. It's pretty common for kids to get clogged ears after a cold. The tissues swell in the ears and nose and trap fluid in the eustachian tubes, and then the ear drum can't move properly in response to sound. It's less common in adults because the angle of the eustachian tube changes so that it slopes downward, providing better drainage, but it can still happen.

You could take an anti inflammatory (ibuprofen) and/or a decongestant. Those might help relieve the pressure. But the fluid will probably drain on its own as you continue to get better.

:iagree:

I would take a decongestant to clear it before it gets infected, but I tend to be suseptable to things like that.

It could also be wax build-up, esp. if you have narrow ear canals.

My dr. suggested a couple of times a week, put a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide in each ear about 5 minutes before getting into the shower. (The steam & water will help wash the hydrogen peroxide out.)

(And, I'm sure you know this already, but hydrogen peroxide can bleach clothing if you spill any on it....)