Menu

Why has "no one" reviewed CLE math??

pocjets

I use CLE math and love it and I know a lot of people on this board do as well. It makes me a little nervous however that no one I know in real life has ever even heard of it and that well know home schoolers like Cathy Duffy or SWB have never even given an opinion on it at all. They have given reviews on Rod and Staff English so I know it's not that they just don't review obscure companies. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm starting to wonder if I should look elsewhere for math even though I like teaching it, etc.

CLE is a conservative Mennonite publisher and that doesn't fall within mainstream curricula. I don't think it has anything to with academic performance, but more with not wanting to go there. I think R&S English's widespread adoption has forced people to review a publisher that they otherwise don't want to touch with a 10 foot pole.

I think it's silly, but...I spent years hanging at the edge of a Mennonite church, so...I am VERY comfortable with the Mennonite worldview. But, many others are NOT.

We just started using CLE Math 2 with my daughter and we are loving it so far.

Cathy Duffy knows about CLE, because in her Christian Home Educators' Curriculum Manual she does talk about their Learning to Read program, and their Homeschool Plus program. I'm not sure why she wouldn't write a review of it, because like all of you, it's been helpful for us and seems to be widely used. I wouldn't look for another math program at all. We should use what works.

As far as Cathy Duffy's reviews go, I am less impressed the more I discover that her reviews really aren't experience-based, they are basically a run-down of what's included in a curriculum, and how to use it. I emailed her one time and asked her about reviewing Queen's Language Lessons, and she wrote back with a negative response. A true product review includes the positives as well as the negatives. So based on that response I got from her, I'm assuming one of two things:

1. She has never been asked to review it, or has never been interested in reviewing it.

2. She has reviewed it and decided it didn't fit the bill for what she thinks is a good math program. (Please don't think I'm judging her- I am not. She's the first one I always go to when looking for a review of a curriculum, and her books have been a great help to me.)

I respect her website and her reviews, and I love her books. But just because she doesn't review a certain curriculum doesn't make that curriculum "worthless" in my mind.

I am one to second-guess my decisions all the time based on what I read, or hear others talk about. I am just not doing that anymore because I drive myself insane!! LOL

I love CLE and I think anyone who finds a math program that works ought to use it regardless of what other people think. (That's my $.02 worth!) :lol:

I've used some unheard of curricula, that no one, and I mean no one else, was using. If it works, use it.

And it's really funny when later on, you start hearing about other people using it. :lol:

I was doing LCC, LONG before the book was written, and let me tell you I was out there ALL alone. And my version of LCC was far more radical than even the 1st edition. I was using "non multa, sed multum" in my signature, until I was informed it was about to be published in a book, and felt like I needed to stop using it.

Trust yourself! And if later on you want to try something else, or even feel like you made a mistake, just move on, with the new thing. :auto:

I used some CLE math back in the 1990s. The algebra 1 work text on word problems contained some methods and information, available no where else. We used the texts as a review for a gifted child, and they worked great for him. I know the new CLE is far better and different, but just wanted to cement my position as a true maverick and trendsetter :-)

Edited by Hunter

It makes me a little nervous however that no one I know in real life has ever even heard of it

Most in real life homeschoolers I know use A Beka, Saxon, and BJU. Many of them have never heard of PHP products and other products that are popular here at the WTM. I wouldn't base anything on local homeschoolers. Many just use what everyone else in their area has used for 20 years, and they don't look elsewhere as they're probably happy with what they're using. They don't have the curriculum researching addiction that many at the Hive have. :lol:

Do not worry about it! I use a mix of CM materials, mostly living books and no set publishers, so people look at me like I have two heads around here. Everyone I know is homeschooling is either using Abeka, Seton, Bob Jones, K12, VP, Calvert, etc. When they ask me what I use and just say I homeschool in a Charlotte Mason way with varied curricula, I get the fake smile and :001_huh: look :lol:

If CLE works for you, do not worry about it. If it's working, it's working.

Edited by sagira

I have told a lot of friends about it locally that now use it.

:iagree:

And I would MUCH rather take the reviews of actual homeschool moms that school with a similar philosophy to mine than to professional book reviewers who have not used the materials with real children day in and day out. Unless someone has looked VERY carefully at material with a child in mind, or has really used a program with an actual real kid, I'm not all that interested in your opinion about it.:tongue_smilie: